More threads by BenzBoy

Oversize

Grand Master
Found the info about how to feed the rubber seals:

16th June 2012, 02:50 PM
BenzBoy
Aristocrat Join Date: Feb 2008

Re: TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might need to use an engine de-greaser to start with followed up by carwash and a micro fibre cloth. Then you can do the rubber seals with Protectant 303. Polish all accessible paintwork with a polish that does not leave white residue as you will probably get some on the rubber seals. It wil lclean off but it requires rubbing.
If you don't already have any, go and buy some microfibre cloths. You don't need to buy epensive ones and when used they will wash clean again. They are brilliant for removing dirt and polish.
Door jambs, hinges and rubber seals may been to be done a few times before they really sparkle - it's good that you have started now.
Regards,
Brian

Tim I'd be VERY carefull if you intend to use engine degreaser.... On a dry panel it can strip the clear and paint straight off! Personally I find it much safer to use WD40 as a degreaser near (or on) painted surfaces. Keep the engine degreaser for the oil soaked gunk under the car (hopefully you won't have any of that anyway). :)

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ye gods!! What kind od degreaser are you using Mark? It sounds like a powerful mix if it will take off paint. I use the cheapest and it is basically kerosene with a propellant. It has never stripped paint - I even use it on the lower panels of the Spirit to remove tar spots. (And I wax afterwards.)
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
Ooops!! I was talking about the engine degreaser that's available at a commercial pressure carwash. It was pink in colour and after it etched the paint on a Mitsubishi I used to have, I'm reluctant to use it again. It's possible it wasn't diluted enough by the attendant. I didn't know it could be that corrosive and I'd suggest the risk could be minimised by wetting down all painted surfaces BEFORE using the degreaser from the pressure wash (if you choose to use it at all).

If I need degreaser now, I buy the cheap pressure packs from Supercheap. Although I'm still very cautious and apply it only where absolutely necessary.

I think I need another coffee to wake me up....

Oversize

Grand Master
I wouldn't hold my breath Tim, Praise from me is a hard earned thing and doesn't get handed out like lollies.

However if you do get an "Atta boy" from me Tim it will be far more valuable for the work you did to EARN it Tim and you will value it more than some platitude or pat on the head.

These cars are part love affair and part marriage, you will love and hate them in equal parts and you will forever be working on them to keep them sweet and reliable as well as easy on the eye.

And like any good relationship the things you do yourself hold the greatest value and getting others to do work always seems to cheapen the experience a bit.

I still see no pictorial evidence Tim and the saying is "No piccies? DIDN'T happen" which although a bit harsh has a lovely ring to it don't you think Tim?

There's been a couple of occasions on the TV and in movies where the viewer's been TOLD what's happened, without any footage or pictures. Personally it drives me nuts because TV is a visual medium and if I wanted to just listen I'd turn on the radio.

PS I better post some US pics soon!! I finally managed to upload the video only a couple of days ago...

I agree with Tony in that I get far more pleasure doing things myself; knowing that I achieved something. I don't give a lot of credit to those who have oodles of cash to pay someone else to do it all. Unless I know their fortune was hard earned and they've put thought and time into finding the right car and all the parts that make it whole....

260ebenz

Master
Did not use degreaser when cleaning the door jambs and hinges.

Used warm water with a few drops of carwash dried off the jambs/hinges.

Buffed on and buffed off the polish.

Did I do the right thing?

I have noticed the jambs/hinges do look alot cleaner.

Oversize

Grand Master
Sounds good Tim. Personally I use WD40 as a degreaser on the hinges etc to save my brushes and prevent spreading the grease and oil around. Detergent alone isn't usually enough to clean these areas if the car hasn't been well maintained

E200K

Well I suppose that is one point of view. It's not one I share.
Does this mean that if I repair a flat tyre and fail to take a photo, the tyre will go flat again as soon as I drive off? :confused:
Regards,
Brian

Brian, have you got any photos of the flat tyre?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Brian, have you got any photos of the flat tyre?
Simon - we'll be in deep poo for hi-jacking this thread!!! :D
No photos but I still have the scar from changing the last flat tyre in torrential rain on the side of the motorway - thus there is evidence of my having changed the tyre. I suppose I could have called the NRMA but frankly, if the day comes when I can't change a tyre in the rain then it's time to give up driving...:eek:
Regards,
Brian

Tony66_au

Simon - we'll be in deep poo for hi-jacking this thread!!! :D
No photos but I still have the scar from changing the last flat tyre in torrential rain on the side of the motorway - thus there is evidence of my having changed the tyre. I suppose I could have called the NRMA but frankly, if the day comes when I can't change a tyre in the rain then it's time to give up driving...:eek:
Regards,
Brian

I quite enjoy documenting work I do to improve a car and sharing the process is rewarding and educational especially if you post the failures with the success's.

It also allows people new to a job further instruction in the task at hand and considering anyone with a Mobile phone will have a camera it isn't really a huge ask.

"No Piccies? DIDNT happen" is a common remark on forums and social media and more of a prompt for the OP to share their triumphs and failures for reasons other than voyeuristic intent.

It also tends to sort the genuine enthusiast from the Askhole but above all fosters a feeling of community.

And for those acquiring new skills can save them considerable anguish and possibly damage along the way.

Cheers,
Tony.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Meanwhile, the original intent of this thread was to encourage and guide Tim in his Concours preparation.
So - shoulders to the oars please gentlemen and let's get Tim to the finish line!
Regards,
Brian

Tony66_au

Very true Brian, It may well be that the poor lad is a bit overwhelmed by the task ahead of him.

So if I may be so bold as to suggest a TK BBQ and Detail get together?

I believe that Tims forte is food and cooking?

So perhaps an offering of food in exchange for the hands on tuition and help of the NSW Topklasse crew, a working bee if you like where Tims car is prepped and spit polished by the experienced members in exchange for a lovely day out and a feed.

I myself found that hands on experience with guidance or being shown the correct procedure by those in the know is the best way to pick up new skills and 5 or more chaps should be able to knock over Tims car in record time while detailing the concours prep.

A day out, a feed and all for a good cause with many hands making light work.

Perhaps an undercover venue if possible?

Suggestions?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
While it's a splendid idea Tony, Tim lives 3 hours + from Sydney and as most of us are scattered around the place I'm not sure the idea is practical. That's why Tim coming down to the Club's Concours Peraration Day would have been so useful.
If Tim wants to come to Sydney I am sure we could arrange a get-together and some assistance for him.
Regards,
Brian

Tony66_au

Be worth a drive down from The Hunter though and yes i agree that the Concours prep day would have been invaluable but family comes first I guess.

I am currently looking at a car North of Sydney myself so I might even pop along if the dates fit!

abl567

Super Moderator
How about a handy place at the end of the Putty Rd with plenty of front yard for a BBQ and undercover space for detailing duties

Oversize

Grand Master
Great idea Tony! I'd love to learn how to polish my car properly (without swirl marks) and I suspect the only way to do so is to watch an expert do it first. Pity all you other MB nuts live so far away from us normal people... LOL! :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
How about a handy place at the end of the Putty Rd with plenty of front yard for a BBQ and undercover space for detailing duties

What a splendid idea Ant. I do recall with fond memories a certain Christmas in July... ahhhh that was nice :eek:

Be worth a drive down from The Hunter though and yes i agree that the Concours prep day would have been invaluable but family comes first I guess.
I am currently looking at a car North of Sydney myself so I might even pop along if the dates fit!

Now that would be something...
It'd be nice to meet in person.