TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

More threads by BenzBoy

260ebenz

Master
I have seen that video before that is just sheer stupidity and the MB in the video is a write off!!

Tony66_au

On leather? If they do that then they are not professional.
I had a professional detailer want to detail my Spirit and he advised me he would clean the leather with a scrubbing brush. Needless to say he did not get the job. :(
I do it myself and gently massage the leather with Leatherique. Scrubbing and water-blasting is plain silly.
Regards,
Brian

Not on leather No.

and granted he had the seats out of the car at the time, but he did pre spray maybe 5 lt of solution into the car and then measured the volume that came out.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Not on leather No.

and granted he had the seats out of the car at the time, but he did pre spray maybe 5 lt of solution into the car and then measured the volume that came out.
Errr. My Wilton and Walnut just curled in horror! :eek:
To say nothing of the underfelt and sound-deadening materials.
Regards,
Brian

E200K

Thanks very much Brian the tips would be great!

I have a bit of the dreaded black brake dust that I can not remove from the front right and back right hand alloy wheels I did try plenty of elbow grease but to no avail!

Pre-Concours detailing tips guys you have my full attention.

Cheers.

Hi Tim, planning is really important. Take a good long look at your car from every angle and in every light. Use halogen lamps to look for swirls and marks in the paint. Crawl underneath the car. Spend time inside it looking everywhere. Make a note of every defect you find.

Then educate yourself on the various detailing products available and how to use them. Get a really good understanding of what they do and how they work.

Make a plan and devote the time to putting it into action. The rewards will be tremendous.

260ebenz

Master
Hi Tim, planning is really important. Take a good long look at your car from every angle and in every light. Use halogen lamps to look for swirls and marks in the paint. Crawl underneath the car. Spend time inside it looking everywhere. Make a note of every defect you find.

Then educate yourself on the various detailing products available and how to use them. Get a really good understanding of what they do and how they work.

Make a plan and devote the time to putting it into action. The rewards will be tremendous.

Brilliant advice Simon thanks mate.

How about a visit to the Bay before this years Concours, please lend me a hand detailing the 300SE?

Remember we discussed mid-to-late last year you visiting the Bay to help me detail the 260E.

Organise in the next few months before the Concours how does that sound Simon?

Provide you with lunch and a drive in the 300SE how does that sound?

Many thanks,
Tim.

Oversize

Grand Master

I love lists..... I have plenty of real long ones!!!! :eek::D

Tony66_au

Brilliant advice Simon thanks mate.

How about a visit to the Bay before this years Concours, please lend me a hand detailing the 300SE?

Remember we discussed mid-to-late last year you visiting the Bay to help me detail the 260E.

Organise in the next few months before the Concours how does that sound Simon?

Provide you with lunch and a drive in the 300SE how does that sound?

Many thanks,
Tim.

Honestly this is something best tackled yourself, there are a few great tutorials on product websites and even DVD's available on the subject for free or a small amount.

There is nothing as educational as hand washing your own car with a microfibre or lambswool mitt and some great product and its never the same if someone else does it.

Its not hard and suppliers have excellent resources to bring a smile to your face with the satisfaction of a job well done.

Even clay blocking back although hard work brings incredible results and think of the calories burnt!

As I understand it the initial process takes 2 or 3 days and a cool shady spot, you will spend between $200 and $500 acquiring the product and tools and then its time to roll up your sleeves and get off the tit n get your hands dirty.

I use Nitrile gloves, a good non latex (So it wont melt in fluids) workshop glove for some work and my bare hands for other stuff.

The guys here can probably tell you where to go, then spend some dough buying product and get stuck in!

its worth knowing you did it yourself.

Tony66_au

LOL Seems I missed this post Tim, As E200k Said Tim, The rewards Tim will be tremendous mate.

WiSeGuYY

GOOD LORD , HELMET that car is gone , i bet that the electrical wires needs to be checked before the car can be restarted, you never do this unless the car was under salt water flood.

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Gentlemen - this thread is about helping Tim over the line for the Concours.
Please - your tips!!!
I know we meander a little but we are not advising his to water-blast the inside of his car so let's get down to business. We have a mission to fulfill!;)
Regards,
Brian

Helmet

Connoisseur
Gentlemen - this thread is about helping Tim over the line for the Concours.
Please - your tips!!!
I know we meander a little but we are not advising his to water-blast the inside of his car so let's get down to business. We have a mission to fulfill!;)
Regards,
Brian

C'mon Brian , if we cant hijack one of Tims Threads what will we do :rolleyes:

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
C'mon Brian , if we cant hijack one of Tims Threads what will we do :rolleyes:
The answer is easy: post useful ideas to help him prepare his car.
For example; remembering to wash and detail up inside the plastic bumpers. When I judge for a concours I always check that area before I even lok under the car.
Regards,
Brian

Helmet

Connoisseur
The answer is easy: post useful ideas to help him prepare his car.
For example; remembering to wash and detail up inside the plastic bumpers. When I judge for a concours I always check that area before I even lok under the car.
Regards,
Brian

Inside the bumpers, thats a good tip for you Tim, not many detailers will clean there.

260ebenz

Master
Washed the wheels today and the wheel arches unwanted dirt mud after the rain this week!

Made sure to completely dry underneath the wheel arches, let me tell you the wheel arches are much cleaner now.

Washed & dried the front & rear plastic bumpers.

Start on the door jams and hinges.

Busy couple of months ahead of me detailing the 300SE, I want to have the 300SE looking it's very best for the Concours!

Going to fit NSW plates this week which are $39 each at the RTA.

Rego & Insurance this week.

Enjoy your weekend guys and would appreciate as much pre-Concours detailing advice and tips.

Cheers.

260ebenz

Master
Clean air in the tyres. Many overlook that.

Hello Simon,

Two new tyres on the front fitted last week Toyo 205/65/15.

Will check the rear Goodyear tyre to make sure they are the correct tyre pressure I am sure they are but I will double check.

Thanks for the tip Simon any other tips and advice?