TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

More threads by BenzBoy

260ebenz

Master
Polished the inside & outside of the windows today.

Noticed the door jams and hinges rubber door and boot seals all need a good clean up so what's the best way to clean those?

Cheers.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You might need to use an engine de-greaser to start with followed up by carwash and a micro fibre cloth. Then you can do the rubber seals with Protectant 303. Polish all accessible paintwork with a polish that does not leave white residue as you will probably get some on the rubber seals. It wil lclean off but it requires rubbing.
If you don't already have any, go and buy some microfibre cloths. You don't need to buy epensive ones and when used they will wash clean again. They are brilliant for removing dirt and polish.
Door jambs, hinges and rubber seals may been to be done a few times before they really sparkle - it's good that you have started now.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
You might need to use an engine de-greaser to start with followed up by carwash and a micro fibre cloth. Then you can do the rubber seals with Protectant 303. Polish all accessible paintwork with a polish that does not leave white residue as you will probably get some on the rubber seals. It wil lclean off but it requires rubbing.
If you don't already have any, go and buy some microfibre cloths. You don't need to buy epensive ones and when used they will wash clean again. They are brilliant for removing dirt and polish.
Door jambs, hinges and rubber seals may been to be done a few times before they really sparkle - it's good that you have started now.
Regards,
Brian

Brian thanks for this info very useful.

I use microfibre cloths what is the best way to wash the cloths so you can re-use them?

I seem to go thru alot of the cloths I was not aware you could re-use the cloths silly me!

Door jams & hinges need to be cleaned that's my next job.

Yes I am glad I have started detailing the 300SE I am going to be busy before this years Concours.

Going to have replace the L/H tail light lense as the lense is discoloured chase up a lense and does anyone know how much a tail light lense costs for a '90 300SE?

Cheers.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Real microbire cloths just go in the washing machine on a warm wash.
I buy mine from a cleaning shop - $18 for a bag of about 20 of them. They all have faults so can't be sold for a premium price but that does not affest the cleaning ability.
John Green will be able to suply a lense - or your mechanic may be able to source and intall one.
Try any Mervesed-Benz wreckers.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Real microbire cloths just go in the washing machine on a warm wash.
I buy mine from a cleaning shop - $18 for a bag of about 20 of them. They all have faults so can't be sold for a premium price but that does not affest the cleaning ability.
John Green will be able to suply a lense - or your mechanic may be able to source and intall one.
Try any Mervesed-Benz wreckers.
Regards,
Brian

Warm wash for the cloths okay Brian thanks mate.

K-Mart or Super Cheap sell the cloths for $4.50 6 in a packet I find the cloths are fine to use.

260ebenz

Master
There are slightly better ones that do a smoother job of polishing - about $15 each.
Regards,
Brian

Hi Brian,

Agian thanks for the advice.

Went for a walk with my dog the 300SE was parked at the beach carpark would you believe it the car was covered in water from the rain GRRRRR! :rolleyes:

Come home and dried the car completely under the doors around the boot seal that damn rain oh well 300SE is dry again happy days!

Cheers.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Brian,

Agian thanks for the advice.

Went for a walk with my dog the 300SE was parked at the beach carpark would you believe it the car was covered in water from the rain GRRRRR! :rolleyes:

Come home and dried the car completely under the doors around the boot seal that damn rain oh well 300SE is dry again happy days!

Cheers.

You took a dog in the car ? :eek:

E200K

Warm wash for the cloths okay Brian thanks mate.

K-Mart or Super Cheap sell the cloths for $4.50 6 in a packet I find the cloths are fine to use.

Hi Tim, wash your micro fibres separately from other cloths in warm water not over 60 degrees C. The warm water opens the fibres and lets all the polish residue out of the interlocked fibres. Never use a fabric conditioner and don't tumble dry them.

E200K

Yep, there's no point putting clean air in your tyres if you're going to let a wet dog romp all over your carpets.

E200K

Oh harden up boys!!!
Tim's car: Tim's choice!
Maybe you would like to come for a ride with me one day?

lillyquilpie.png

Regards,
Brian

Oh no, they look far too hairy for my liking. Probably lovely dogs but they're not getting anywhere near my W126. I don't even let the kids in it and they're almost house trained.

Tim, take the dog out in the Yaris.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Oh no, they look far too hairy for my liking. Probably lovely dogs but they're not getting anywhere near my W126. I don't even let the kids in it and they're almost house trained.

Tim, take the dog out in the Yaris.

Oh what a pack of wusses you lot can be!!! A car is to be used - not just parked on the coffee table and dusted once a week by the maid.

Dogsincar.png

Regards,
Brian

E200K

Oh what a pack of wusses you lot can be!!! A car is to be used - not just parked on the coffee table and dusted once a week by the maid.

Dogsincar.png

Regards,
Brian

Wussy maybe, but I wouldn't let the maid near it either :D

260ebenz

Master
Funny blokes you lot!

Max the Family dog was not wet and Max sits on a old towel he does not sit on the carpets.

I have MB mats protecting the carpets in the 300SE.

Rest assured Max was not sitting on the leather seats!

Got to go the Rugby is on Wallabies vs Wales.

GO WALLABIES!