Right back door jammed shut- HELP

More threads by Styria

Parks

I'm having visions of the two of you crouched in the back, heaving away at the back seat swearing all the while.

you better believe it Ryan! the vision is spot on:rolleyes: like styria said no idea why it was jammed but once the door trim pushed up and off it worked again...........:confused:

B

BAR

Trials and tribulations... age and treachery.

Sometimes thinking around the problems will reveal the solution. Congratulations on your efforts to fix the problem.

One of the issues with the W116 come from its inherent anti theft capabilities, for this we should be thankful. I can recall my torment after locking the ignition key inside the boot, having already shut and locked all the doors.

They only solution was to get the spare key from home.

Now as for older versus newer cars, wel try this.

My sister and I both had W202's which had electronic keys, gear shift lockouts etc. One day her car would not start. Well a simple problem that took a lot of money and time to fix. The ignition control module (computer) had died which is why it refused to recognise the ignition key and allow the car to start.

Now the car was parked nose first in her garage with the steering turned almost full lock, transmission in park and hand brake on.

After a short visit from the NRMA it was necessary to get the car to a Mercedes dealer in order to replace the computer.

An all up tow was required. But to get the car out of the garage and on to the tow truck and then off again at the other end took some doing. Of course the front end had to be lifted as well as the rear (transmission locked in park position).

So compared with a stick door lock... this was very difficult and expensive to fix.

s class

A couple of weeks ago I was doing my routine checks and maintenance on my wife's W202. Its equipped with the South African spec electronic immobiliser and antitheft, which has an interesting feature - a preset time after starting the engine (probably a minute) the doors automatically lock. So I started the engine, and casually closed the driver's door (as I would with proper '70's benzes), and you guessed it - the car locked itself, with the engine running, and nearly a full tank of petrol. hmmm. It did make me stand and reflect for a while. And no, I don't have spare keys for the car (real slack of me - and it came to bite me).

I eventually got lucky and found that if I pulled a certain fuse, the security system released. Whew.