Dash Vent - Right Side

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This is the puppy that I am talking about......

GleamingBeautyRestoration184.jpg

What problems does it give, what grief does it cause ? Generally none, unless the plastic loop is broken, usually due to careless, and hamfisted attempts to remove the black plastic heater/fresh air vent from the spout of the vent unit. Sure. I admit that the duct can be very stubborn, especially as it is not that easy to get one's hand into the restricted space, pull the duct and, AT THE SAME TIME, endeavour to hold the vent to the dash fitting to avoid putting undue pressure to the plastic loops when attempting to pull the duct towards the front of the car.

Naturally, to get at anything, one needs to remove the instrument binnacle, and it is advantageous to remove the knee roll and the lower heater/cooling distribution panel in order to separate the duct from the heater housing. Thereafter. the time comes to remove the duct from the vent (that's when the damage can occur) and it then becomes a matter of fitting the replacement unit - that is provided you have one at your disposal. Obtaining one from a wrecker can be a headache - they don't want to take it out, and it isn't normally an item that they'd keep on the shelf. In my case, anytime I have dismantled a car in days gone by, I try and save EVERYTHING, and that's been handy many, many times over.

Removal of the 8mm nuts, and flat washers from the back of the vent is not easy - in fact, very awkward and totallly frustrating. You need octopus fingers. As it is, I try to stick the nut to my middle finger with a dab of grease and start it up that way. I won't go into the finer details - just try it yourself one day. Another view of the offending item.

GleamingBeautyRestoration183.jpg

Good luck. Regards Styria