Dash Carpet and Floor Mats for a LWB W116

More threads by chrisp

chrisp

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a supplier of carpet to protect Wilhelm's (Astral Silver 6.9 with navy blue leather interior) dash from UV damage? I'm also thinking about getting some floor mats that fit nicely because the one in the driver's footwell has a nasty habit of sliding over and interfering with the accelerator pedal, plus I only have three out of four at the moment anyway.

Many thanks,

Chris

Styria

The Godfather
Silly Billy, :D had you asked me for it, I'd have a blue dash mat available for you at no charge - and that offer is still good up to the next topklasse BBQ day at Michel's - 3rd January, 2010 - it's a sunny Sunday, we'll have belly dancers (we wish), and, dare I say it, plenty of good company.

Chris, regarding the floor mats - for the real McCoy, you can quite easily pay in excess of $150.00 - if not more. I may have an alternative (not quite Mercedes), but if you can wait till the 3rd, I can bring along some samples with me. Anyway, I have tried to ring you - give me a call back whenever convenient for you. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I managed to get genuine colour coded floor mats with perfect fit, very cheeply for my W116. It took nearly two years of patience. I went to Pick 'n Payless (junkyard) and found the grottiest mats available: covered in grease and dirt. The front two mats came from a 450 SE and a 280 SE. The rear mats needed to come from an SEL, hence the patience. Actually, they came from a 450 SEL. They were also saturated in oil and dirt, not a pretty sight.

I ripped the sponge backing of all of these mats, and drowned them in alkasteam, and set to work with a seriously industrial water blaster. It took about 20 minutes to scour each mat clean, and would you believe, the carpet top surfaces came up like new. They now sit in my car as if they were the original mats, only they are not. They now serve as protective floor mats, even though they started life as original carpet mats, with sponge backing.

Total cost? about $20, patience, and some simple work.

I happen to work for a new car dealer and I occasionally come across new floor mats still in their packaging, which for various reasons, are to be disposed of. I keep an eye out for this sort of stuff; I can take it if I want, but I am not allowed to sell it, but I am free to give away to my friends. This applies to all sorts of items: used micro fibre cloths which can be cleaned, chamoises, car detailing samples and vehicle accessories, which would otherwise be thrown out. I have completely kitted out my Skyline and Camry with bonnet protectors mud flaps headlight protectors left and right weathershields, wheel covers, sheepskin seat covers and floor mats. Over the years, I have not sold any of this sort of material for a cent, but I have given quite a lot of this type of clobber away. Mostly, I have been asked by my employer if I want it; occasionally I have asked if it is available. Ethically, I would be going into competition with my employer if I did sell it.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks to SEL69L's generosity, I have been the recipient of tailored sheepskin covers for the front seats in my Gleaming Beauty. I believe they came out of a Mitsubishi, and are just about a perfect fit.

They certainly provide great comfort, with the added bonus of preserving the quality of the leather upholstery. Thanks David. Regards Styria