New Leather & Carpet Supplies

More threads by Oversize

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, a late reply but based on recent experiences. I've not bought any upholstery supplies, whether that be Leather or otherwise, EXCEPT for carpets, for some four to five years now. I just recently lodged an enquiry with a very well known supplier in California, namely GAHH, and the news is not good. The quality of their leather kits is beyond reproach - well, as well as just about anyone else's, but ever since the Covid 19 pandemic, prices have absolutely skyrocketed - I would say by close enough to 40%. This unfortunately, is an almost world wide trend, unless you go to parts of Asia, but one needs to have some really good and trustworthy contacts to make that work.

The market in the States is a well controlled and closely knit market. Bashing your heads against the "Invisibles" is just about a fruitless exercise. Luckily enough, at this stage, I need not pursue an Interior, save for carpets, for the 6.9 customer. Replacement of the upholstery in his car is badly needed as the leather is rock hard, but the client is hopeful that a new coat of leather paint will be of sufficient restoration to save the purchase of a new set of front and rear upholstery. I have not yet tried to convince the owner that "it ain't gonna work" - for some valid reasons.

I did purchase a new set of carpets on his behalf, again at the quite extraordinary cost, but he really had no choice. It is only when you see new against old, that you realize just how shabby the old stuff looks. The carpet material is hard and unyielding, and even if one cleans it professionally, it really is just a waste of time and effort, and MONEY. More to come. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Little has happened since the date of this last post. I have taken some pics. of old versus new, and it is only just now that I have realized the absence of some of those photos. That will be rectified. In the meantime, I would just mention one huge 6.9 failing as far as the upholstery itself is concerned. The back seat, you know the part one sits on - diabolical, and it seems to apply more so to 6.9s, rather than other models. As a matter of digression, MB Tex is not affected nearly as badly.

The problem of the back seat relates to calico tearing itself to pieces, plus the horse hair padding turns to dust, plus the springs collapse as well - and that applies to front seats as well. It would be most unusual for pleats to collapse completely, and that applies to front seats as well.
As sound proofing behind the rear squab, Mercedes uses a form of "whatever" - some soft material I am unable to describe. However, it is very rudimentary, and basically held together by some form of plasticky material The pictures hereunder illustrates the poor condition of that sound proofing, especially if one gets water leaks under the area of the back seat. It does happen !

N.B. Apologies - sorting out the transfer of photos.

20230113_111130.jpg20230113_111121.jpg20230113_111130.jpg