One for Parks I guess, carpet dye ?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

Just wondered if there is a dye suitable for carpets, so I can make the faded parcel shelf match the rest? Can I use regular fabric dye? If so, what concentration?
Just back to original colour, I am not talking about a change of colour.
I have some scraps I can try first.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks,
Chris M.

Parks

Just wondered if there is a dye suitable for carpets, so I can make the faded parcel shelf match the rest? Can I use regular fabric dye? If so, what concentration?
Just back to original colour, I am not talking about a change of colour.
I have some scraps I can try first.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks,
Chris M.

Hi Chris, to be honest its not something ive had much to do with, I know you can dye carpet, how successful it is im not sure , there are a few companies that make spray can dye but im assuming you need a custom colour dye? Ive used a little bit of acrylic before to make some carpet look better but let me make a couple of calls early in the week and I will get back to you.....regards Brent

OP
B

BAR

If the carpet has faded, it would have also suffered some level of deterioration.

Rather than go to the trouble of attempting to dye the material [and have it potentially fall apart in the process], put the money into getting Brent to making you a replacement.

You'll be more pleased with that result.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Sorry if I made a mess of that, what I meant was the parcel shelf only, which is made of a heavy kind of velour - not carpet - and of course sees little or no wear.
Faded by the sun, I was wondering if regular fabric dyes would work.
I have a much bigger job in mind for Parks next year, the Crayford will need all new carpets throughout, as well as other work.
Chris M.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey, you are quite correct in stating that backless carpet is used on the rear parcel shelf - I THINK - just not sure at the moment, especially considering that we have used normal carpet in that area as well - again I THINK.

The real problem with parcel shelves relates to sun damage, dryness and the material becoming powdery. Any dye used is unlikely to be of any real quality solution - it would look patchy and worn out. Go the route of new material as suggested by Bar although re-covering done PROPERLY is a bit of a job. Regards Styria

Parks

Styria , greasemonkey said he has velour on the rear parcel shelf NOT carpet, some cars did come with a velour parcel shelf, in fact 6.9 forevers 6.9 came with a velour one and I replaced it with carpet, but as styria said the parcel shelf probably is powdery now, but m assuming its a temporary fix greasemonkey?.......regards Brent

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Probably would be temporary, but I am open to suggestions.
C.M.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey - are you referring to any particular car ? 107, 116 ? Is there a job that you would want us to do ?

Prices vary between 116 and 107 on account of the first aid kit. Also, sometimes, we can save a little money by having off-cuts, which would enable us to have two halves, although that's not recommended if you want to go the original route. Just advise us as to what you would like us to do. Regards Styria

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

No big deal, it's the rear shelf in the SLC, the velour is all good and not got any problems, just a bit faded so I was wondering only if I could use any dye to darken it a bit back to the original shade.
I will however be in touch for some repairs to the seats and new carpets and headlining for the Crayford wagon, but that will be next year.
CHris M.