Dubbin leather cleaner/conditioner

More threads by 260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Would the Dubbin product be any good to use on the leather seats in the 300SE?

Attachments

• Dubbin.jpg
    Dubbin.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1

Styria

The Godfather
George Mathieson should know - he used to hit everything inside his 6.9 with lashings of this stuff. It would appear that his choice worked well, because he carried off best in class for about seven years running. Personally I think it does the job, but tends to be sticky and fatty and doesn't want to go away. There is a good chance that fine dust will sit on any surface treated with Dubbin. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Dubbin is great for very early types of aniline leather but it's too fatty for your W126. Stay with Leatherique. I have used all kinds of products and I recommend only Leathique or Gliptone for your type of leather Tim.
Autoglym is good for more modern painted leather but it's too light for what you have.
Tim - it is rare that anyone can and will improve on products that are known to be good, no matter how hard they try.
Dubbin is great if you want to waterproof your boots or keep the horse reins flexible - it will make your seats too tacky.
Regards,
Brian

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Guys thanks for the feedback in regards to the Dubbin product.

I remember seeing video footage of silver George Mathieson's 6.9 what a superb car no wonder the 6.9 won the Concours so many times!

Video footage of the 6.9 was from the 2007 MBCNSW Concours.

Well I will have to invest in a bottle of Leatherique or Gliptone.

Have a great day guys!
:)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian as shocking as it may be Leatherique is stocked in some Woolworth stores over here. I was surprised to see it on the shelf. :)

Styria

The Godfather
Well that would make it much easier to buy and it is an excellent product.
Regards,
Brian
ps; What's Woolworths? :D:D:D

Why not Malco Leather conditioner, prefaced by saddlesoap to catch all the grime first ? For whatever reason, and please don't knock off the old block, the leatherique product just doesn't do it for me. I think I keep on thinking of the Rejuvenator, and all the other solutions needed, to repair leather. As I said, it's only a foible on my part. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
By all means use Malco - so long as it does not contain solvents. I'll rely on Styria to know what's in it. Just don't use Dubbin unless you have an open tourer with old leather - go an have a look at the Dubbin website to see the purposes for which it is proposed.
There is nothing complex about Leatherique. You oil first and then clean. That makes sense so you don't dry out the leather and you avoid running the risk of damaging it while it's wet and at its most vulnerable. I would never use saddle soap on upholstery leather as the risk of damage is far too high. Saddle soap is made for saddles that through contact with horses is oily and dirty. It's just not the right product for car or domestic leather.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Have you guys ever used the Oakwood leather cleaner/conditioner would it be a suitable product to use on the leather seats in the Mercedes?

Woolies over in Perth has the Leatherique product lucky for people over in the West!

I have never seen Leatherique in the NSW Woolies supermarkets.

Styria

The Godfather
It would seem that the retail side of the product is the exclusive domain of Supercheap Auto. I shall hoof it down to my nearest store - 2 minutes away - and check on price and availability. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
By all means use Malco - so long as it does not contain solvents. I'll rely on Styria to know what's in it. Just don't use Dubbin unless you have an open tourer with old leather - go an have a look at the Dubbin website to see the purposes for which it is proposed.
There is nothing complex about Leatherique. You oil first and then clean. That makes sense so you don't dry out the leather and you avoid running the risk of damaging it while it's wet and at its most vulnerable. I would never use saddle soap on upholstery leather as the risk of damage is far too high. Saddle soap is made for saddles that through contact with horses is oily and dirty. It's just not the right product for car or domestic leather.
Regards,
Brian

Hi BenzBoy, this is straight from the horse's mouth - that's the outside of the bottle.

Malco Leather Conditioner cleans and conditions all leather surfaces. This non-greasy product not only removes soil from the leather, it revives tired and hardened and soiled leather and converts it back to supple beauty once again. The creamy lotion contains ingredients that work to restore the lustrous gleam to leather surfaces.

Made in U.S.A.

Contents : Polysiloxane
Water
Neatsfoot Oil.

Ah, the last named sure has a familiar sound to it. The next thing I am going to check is the above named chemical. Regards Styria

Here is a run-down on Polysioxane.

http://ppgamercoatus.ppgpmc.com/psx/docs/presentation_polysiloxanes.pdf

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
What is great for a saddle is not great for a car.
Neatsfoot oil is great for leather exposed to the elements all the time. In a closed environment it is a good host for mould and with continued use will build up a fatty residue.
Lanolin would probably be better than neatsfoot. Old saddle makers I know swear by it for waterproofing a saddle and boots but be aware that continued use will darken the leather. That's OK if your leather is black but not if you have light leather.
Anyway, you make your choice and you live with the outcome. It's as simple as that.
Regards,
Brian