Leather Woes

More threads by E200K

E200K

My 126 has a small, dark mark about the size of a 50 cent coin on the drivers seat (leather and the colour is "pebble"). I've tried various leather cleaners and nothing will shift it. With a certain amount of caution, I tried a magic eraser and the mark has now got a little bigger. No real harm done, but I'm now assuming that what I thought was a dirty mark is actually a small area where the colour has come out of the leather.

Does anyone know a good place to get some leather dye so I can do a touch-up?

Cheers,

B

BAR

This is really not something to pass a comment on without looking at the offending spot.
As cries Lady Macbeth:
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say!—One; two: why, then
'tis time to do't.—Hell is murky.—Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier, and
afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none can call our
pow'r to accompt?—

So after that what is the point?

Go visit Parkes, send him a PM and he'll establish a meeting with you and examine the spot. Then he can suggest the remedy.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My 126 has a small, dark mark about the size of a 50 cent coin on the drivers seat (leather and the colour is "pebble"). I've tried various leather cleaners and nothing will shift it. With a certain amount of caution, I tried a magic eraser and the mark has now got a little bigger. No real harm done, but I'm now assuming that what I thought was a dirty mark is actually a small area where the colour has come out of the leather.

Does anyone know a good place to get some leather dye so I can do a touch-up?

Cheers,

Yes; I can recommend a mobile service that will spray dye onto it and match it reasonably closely to the existing leather - but you can't recreate the patina so it will look new.
Alternatively, you contact Swissvax with you colour code and they will sell you a dye-milk that you can use. You first cover the spot with dye and then do the whole seat a few times. You will retain the patina unless you want to use more coats and give it the new look. The advantage with the Swissvax system is that the dye-milk is totally flexible and will not peel off. The disadvantage is that you need to wait while it comes from Switzerland. I can let you know where and how to get it.
And there is always the very competent Mr Parks (Jnr.)
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
E200K

E200K

It's such a small area that I probably can't justify the expense and effort involved in treating the whole seat with a dye-milk parachuted in from Switzerland. The mobile dye man sounds like an idea. As does Parks.

Thanks for the suggestions.

John S

From what I have read, Megic Eraser is actually a type of micro-abrasive, so don't use it on leather!!!

OP
E200K

E200K

From what I have read, Megic Eraser is actually a type of micro-abrasive, so don't use it on leather!!!

Too late now, John!

As soon as I realised it was making things worse I stopped so the additional damage is really minimal. Funnily enough, I had some reservations about using the magic eraser but there you go, you learn from experience.

Parks

so what your saying is youve just worn through the layer of paint on the leather slightly?

Parks

thats a weird looking mark, it doesnt look like a wear mark at all especially being where it is, should be a fairly easy fix with an exact match paint.....

G

GreaseMonkey

Celtic heritage.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

May I suggest, to avoid pedantic arguments, that we stick to the Queen's English as wot it is spoke.
And writ.
Too many obscure ethnic dialects from the 'literati' are only confusing us mere mortals.
Thanks.
C.M.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi E200K, did you ever manage to rectify that problem area on your driver's seat ? Certainly an unusual mark - almost a bit like a grease stain. I probably wouldn't recommend wax and grease remover on leather upholstery, but it works a treat on carpet material. Regards Styria

450SE

If all else fails & it bothers you that much, sheepskin seat covers work wonders. ;)
An alleged 'friend' borrowed my 180E about ten years ago. Now, normally I don't have so much as a bottle of water in the car, let alone food.
The miserable cretin *smoked* in my car & dropped lit ash onto the seat squab. Aside from the smell left in the car for weeks, there was a fingernail size hole burnt into the squab. :mad:
Obviously a repair wasn't particularly easy (my Grandmother is an ace with a needle & thread, but wouldn't have been able to darn that hole for all the stars in the sky) - so a nice set of grey tailored sheepskins were ordered... and the bill passed on...

Don't know what became of that person... :p

450SE

Also, a genius by the name of Shannon Lush is on the Today program from time to time. By the sounds of it, she's a chemist & understands the chemical breakdown of particle matter.

All you need to know is the specific kind of stain & the product which is stained i.e: lipstick, white cotton collar.
Quite often, the answers are quite simple - perhaps lemon juice, wiped with a nylon pantyhose... ...I think... :cool:

today.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=268055
http://www.shannonlush.com/

One thing that I have learnt is that the grey / white soap like scum that builds up on an old shower screen is actually glass cancer. But apparently if you wipe the affected glass with almond oil, it will be as good as new!
:D:D:D

AAB

When I bought my 74 450SEL, it had a wear mark ( almost through !! ) on the driver's seat, & it turned out to be caused by the hip pocket buttons on men's trousers.

All of my trousers ( & for 19 years now) are sans hip pocket buttons !!

Regards,

Alex