Leather Care... AutoGlym vs Duragloss

More threads by E200K

E200K

Right, the headrests are off my W126 and I had a spare hour so thought I'd use and compare a couple of leather care products on them.

It's AutoGlym Leather Cleaner and Leather Care Cream versus Duragloss 441 (Leather Shampoo) and 221 (Leather Conditioner).

Autoglym: The cleaner was sprayed on and further applied with a cloth and then buffed dry. The care cream was applied by cloth, left for a few minutes and then buffed dry.

Duragloss: The shampoo was sprayed directly on, worked in with a small, soft brush and then buffed dry. The conditioner was applied the same way as the AutoGlym product.

Observations: Once applied, the AutoGlym cleaner felt and looked a bit sticky so you probably wouldn't want to leave it at that and skip applying the care cream. Also, and judging by the look of the cloth being used, the care cream seemed to clean the leather so it's questionable how useful/effective the leather cleaner was. With the Duragloss cleaner there was no stickiness and the product seemed to go further. The Duragloss conditioner was a bit runnier and again seemed to go further. After applying the Duragloss products, the leather squeaked when massaged - this wasn't noticeable with AutoGlym. One big difference between the products is the smell. Duragloss has a leather smell and AutoGlym has soapy/citrus smell.

Verdict: I much preferred Duragloss. Slightly easier to use, and no sticky finish. Also has the leather fragrance and costs only marginally more than AutoGlym.

Next... Lexol versus Swissvax.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I use a whole army of chemicals for leather and trim cleaning. I have found that no one single product does the trick. I also use white spirits - great for removing grease and a menthol based cleaner made up by a detailer friend. Swissvax is very gentle on leather and does not get rid of deep dirt - but then it does not get rid of colour.
Of course, modern leathers are coated and older ones are not so I am careful not to make generlisations in case the advice leads someone to make a mistake.
I have found that Leatherique is one of the better ones but do follow the instructions which are the reverse of most others. That is, oil first and then cleaner!!
I look forward to your findings.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

Surely this dedication to duty deserves some recognition.
Well done chaps.
C.M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Surely this dedication to duty deserves some recognition.
Well done chaps.
C.M.

Well only one of the above products has a Royal Warrant - surely recognition enough? And only a limited few carry the Miss Olga Approved symbol...and Miss Olga knows her leathers; she chewed enough when she was a pup in arms to have learnt the art of discernment. :eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi E200K, I haven't responded to your post for the simple reason that I did not have anything constructive to add., and I am certainly not in a position to pass judgement in one way or another as I have only used sundry products over the years - nothing 'exotic', if you know what I mean.

Personally, I use leather soap with quite good results. Plenty of water, plenty of soap, and I wipe off the excess moisture and soap with a wet, and obviously, clean cloth. I find the Selleys dishwashing cloths particularly useful for that part of the job. I have also used Leatherique, but I never really know how effective that product has been. In fact, one does not really know at all at just about anytime for the simple reason that deterioration of the leather is a natural process that takes place over many years.

We have also used the 'colouring' process on a member's car, and quite frankly the result from a longevity point of view is quite simply disappointing - especially considering the amount of time that was put into the job.

From time to time, I also use Gee Wy, but it's greasy and the seats, or the car for that matter, should be left in the sun for several hours. I really think that any product with some 'lubrication' built in has to be better than 'nix' - even handcreme (IMO). I use it on the steering wheels, and it certainly works well - Sorbolene, Vitamin E - yes, both of those, so please don't laugh. Regards Styria

John S

Styria, I have also tried Sorbolene on leather, based upon the logic that the Leatherique instructions are to work it into the leather by hand as Leatherique will not harm the skin.

As leather is also a 'skin' and Sorbolene is good for your skin it should help leather - at least not doing it any harm.

My impression is that Sorbolene worked, as it was quickly absorbed into the leather, but the leather was in good condition to start with.

450SE

Well only one of the above products has a Royal Warrant - surely recognition enough? And only a limited few carry the Miss Olga Approved symbol...and Miss Olga knows her leathers; she chewed enough when she was a pup in arms to have learnt the art of discernment. :eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Now my face is a little red - for the past few weeks, I've been assuming / thinking that Miss Olga may have been the partner / wife of Benz-Boy... But no, it's the pup in the photo. :eek:
hahaha

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Now my face is a little red - for the past few weeks, I've been assuming / thinking that Miss Olga may have been the partner / wife of Benz-Boy... But no, it's the pup in the photo. :eek:
hahaha
Don't be embarrassed 450SE. Miss Olga is better know in Royce circles than she is in Benz world so one might not expect you to know much about her. At the risk of sounding a little strange I could say she is my Best Bitch and indeed that is the case - perhaps a visit to www.banjospitz.com will clear up any misunderstandings. :D
Yes, that is Miss Olga in the avatar.
Here she is in real life:

photo20olga20crump_1388.png

With her mother in their Benz:

MissOlga.png

And poking her nose out of her Phantom:

headofstate.png

Oh dear, This must be a different Miss Olga here:

MichelsBentley.png

Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
hahaha

Hi 450SE, the sense of perception is mind boggling :D If you hang around long enough, (and I hope you do), you may well be surprised at what else may come to light. Stay tuned ! :D Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi 450SE, the sense of perception is mind boggling :D If you hang around long enough, (and I hope you do), you may well be surprised at what else may come to light. Stay tuned ! :D Regards Styria
Perhaps you need to introduce 450SE to YOUR Miss Olga, Styria? :D
Mind you, mine is the original!!! :p
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Perhaps you need to introduce 450SE to YOUR Miss Olga, Styria? :D
Mind you, mine is the original!!! :p
Regards,
Benz-Boy

No, BenzBoy, my Olga is mine - apart from everyone else in Salzburg ! 450SE - if you want to know what this is all about, click onto my profile and find the thread relating to MY Olga - whilst BenzBoy's is pretty (for a dog :D), mine is a much more useful commodity as far as romanticism is concerned.

You should be able to find my thread/post after about mid October last year. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I’m revisiting leather care after a hiatus & tried Mcguires clean/conditioner. Too thin & ineffective for my liking. I also tried Autoglym which went on nicely to provide a high gloss shine which looked like new. But the next day the black leather looked faded & dry even more so than before. Big fail in my book.
I’m sick of the Bowden’s sexual innuendo which I find OTT & unnecessary. Years ago I bought Gliptone Leather Conditioner but it was either stolen or misplaced so I’m keen to try it again.
Leatherique products have been highly recommended however I’m not sure if the only offer dye related options & it all sounds very exxxy.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I’m revisiting leather care after a hiatus & tried Mcguires clean/conditioner. Too thin & ineffective for my liking. I also tried Autoglym which went on nicely to provide a high gloss shine which looked like new. But the next day the black leather looked faded & dry even more so than before. Big fail in my book.
I’m sick of the Bowden’s sexual innuendo which I find OTT & unnecessary. Years ago I bought Gliptone Leather Conditioner but it was either stolen or misplaced so I’m keen to try it again.
Leatherique products have been highly recommended however I’m not sure if the only offer dye related options & it all sounds very exxxy.
I use Zymol, which I have found softens the leather up quite a lot.
Not sure where you get it here, but it used to be inexpensive when I lived in the USA and I normally buy it from there and ship it here.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
They are importers of Zymol and Gliptone

Oversize

Grand Master
That’s exactly where I bought it! A mates headed there Mon to pick some up!
0DCF2A95-04FA-4F83-B2CB-7BDDC93FE6F9.jpeg908753A7-507A-41CC-B579-2B1A293A0DF5.png

Oversize

Grand Master
I think Styria mentions ‘Dubbin’ in another thread?? I might also check Horseland re saddle treatments

Patrick_R

Grand Master
My Shadow responded very well to RM Williams leather conditioner.
Pretty unimaginative, but worked pretty well.
It came in a 500g tub. Rub it in thick with bare hands leave the car out in the sun all day.
Completely soaked in by night time 😊
Did this about every 12 months.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I use Leatherique leather Rejuvenator oil. It is best applied thickly and then let the car sit in the sun for a day or so before you buff it. http://www.leatherique.com.au/
Ge-why is great for very dry leather. https://www.ge-wy.com/
The main thing is to get the oils into the leather to soften it and to float the sweat and dirt to the top so you can polish it off.
Gliptone has a good leather smell to it. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251358184749
Regards,
Brian

Last edited: