Extra care - repainting your car

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
There is repainting, and repainting. You could term that to be an odd statement. On a number of occasions I have seen many very good paint jobs, but they were lacking in attention to detail. For instance, painting the bonnet. Unless it is removed from the car, it is nigh on impossible to properly paint and clear the side and rear edges, not to mention the two inner front and rear stiffening panels.

For those, you have to remove the under bonnet insulation (normally crumbly and dusty)....also, note oil film on the front panel.

GleamingBeautyRestoration023.jpg

and then wash it out well with soapy water, as well as rubbing and preparing the underbonnet panels with a Solvol like paste and scouring pad prior to painting, with Jerry posing as proud as punch...

GleamingBeautyRestoration025.jpg

This next picture should illustrate and explain to Mark the method and area of masking-up after the fitting of the two replacement front guards and after they had been secured by all bolts. To my mind, that area is critical because time and again I have seen resprays where the very top of the guards are masked up, and leaving the securing bolts untouched. Obviously, to achieve that goal, the bonnet requires removal.

GleamingBeautyRestoration036.jpg

Another desirable, well almost mandatory task, is to spray other panels separately. For instance....

GleamingBeautyRestoration035.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration032.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration031.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration030.jpg

It was pleasing to see Jerry agreeing with my suggestion to remove bonnet and boot lid for painting purposes. Initially there may have been some reluctance (cost ?) on his part, but in the end he just about insisted. The bootlid also received a fresh coat of paint on its underside.

Regards Styria

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
Very, very nice; you've just gotta love new paint! Styria, regardless of what anyone thinks (including yourself) about your colour combination, you get an 'A' for effort & individuality from me. :cool: I agree MB should've made the 6.9 more destinctive & you've certainly achieved that goal. It's nice to see a custodian who's prepared to tackle the difficult tasks, rather than put their head in the sand.

I intend to re-finish the front & rear of my Euro & like most projects I think the hardest part is knowing when to stop pulling bits off.... Unless you've planned to completely strip a car, don't be tempted. I've seen many vehicles pulled apart & never put back together, as the task became too overwhelming for their owner.

260ebenz

Master
There is repainting, and repainting. You could term that to be an odd statement. On a number of occasions I have seen many very good paint jobs, but they were lacking in attention to detail. For instance, painting the bonnet. Unless it is removed from the car, it is nigh on impossible to properly paint and clear the side and rear edges, not to mention the two inner front and rear stiffening panels.

For those, you have to remove the under bonnet insulation (normally crumbly and dusty)....also, note oil film on the front panel.

GleamingBeautyRestoration023.jpg

and then wash it out well with soapy water, as well as rubbing and preparing the underbonnet panels with a Solvol like paste and scouring pad prior to painting, with Jerry posing as proud as punch...

GleamingBeautyRestoration025.jpg

This next picture should illustrate and explain to Mark the method and area of masking-up after the fitting of the two replacement front guards and after they had been secured by all bolts. To my mind, that area is critical because time and again I have seen resprays where the very top of the guards are masked up, and leaving the securing bolts untouched. Obviously, to achieve that goal, the bonnet requires removal.

GleamingBeautyRestoration036.jpg

Another desirable, well almost mandatory task, is to spray other panels separately. For instance....

GleamingBeautyRestoration035.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration032.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration031.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration030.jpg

It was pleasing to see Jerry agreeing with my suggestion to remove bonnet and boot lid for painting purposes. Initially there may have been some reluctance (cost ?) on his part, but in the end he just about insisted. The bootlid also received a fresh coat of paint on its underside.

Regards Styria

Styria respraying project is coming also very nicely judging from the photos.

Thanks for sharing your GB respray project.

All the best with the project.

Cheers Slim.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Looking good Styria hope it comes out just how you want it to be would love to see your car some day:)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As long as you are happy Godfather ;)