Engine Fan

More threads by BAR

B

BAR

Having discovered that my viscous coupling has siezed, I started to investigate replacement costs.

Ouch... most are quoting factory replacement at >$600 Australian Dollars.

It is also possible to solve this with the fittment of a pair of Thermatic Fans [in Australia - Davies Craig DC31 X 2 - will do the job plus a Thermatic Switch]. Total cost <$500.

Davies Craig make replacement Viscous Coupling Units but I haven't located an equivalent to the MB part.

I hope they can respond in the next day or so.

Fittment of the electric units would reduce noise and maintain better cooling in stop start conditions.

here should also be a benefit [very small] in fuel consumption.

OP
G

Goldacre

Hi Bar, $600 is a bit steep :eek:

I had a scan through AutohausAZ listings and they stock them at $186 for a 280 and $376 for a 450 (1979s). The most i have been charged for postage so far is $33.

I had an electric set up on my old Torana that worked well except where the thermostatic switch was squeezed between the top radiator pipe and hose, would always leak eventually no matter what was done. Also the lights would dim a fair bit when idling at night when the fans switched in, and you could certainly hear it :eek:

That said it was a while ago, late 80s i think and i would hope technology in that department would be better now days :rolleyes:

Jules

abl567

Super Moderator
Try Tom Hanson at the Classic Centre, Irvine California. All the parts I've bought from them have been roughly 1 third of the local dealer price and they usually arrive quicker.

Yes that's right, 1/3 the price inc. freight and delivered to my door faster then Marshalls can get them from Melbourne or Singapore!

I ordered all the rubber mounts for my rear axle (see diff dramas post for an update) on the Thursday before Easter and they arrived 9am Tuesday morning:D

Toms email is thomas.hanson@mbusa.com

He has always replied promptly and his parts knowledge is nothing short of amazing. Include your full VIN and engine numbers and the part you are after and Tom will send you the right one. If you are a member of a club affiliated with www.mercedes-benz-clubs.com you receive a 15% discount

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bar, it may be worth your while to establish contact with Tom Hansen as suggested by abl567. I have been well aware of the Australian retail price for some time now, and have resorted to reconditioning them whenever possible.

There are two types for the 450's and 6.9's - one rebuildable, the other not. Anything you would buy today would be machine sealed and not lend itself to reconditioning. I have one rebuilt unit on hand and it is as good as new. Regards Styria

OP
B

BAR

Just had a conversation with the people from Davies Craig. they don't actually build or source their Viscous fans here in Australia and their suppliers do not make replacements for any MB vehicles.

So for the moment it's a debate as to new electric fans or the recond Viscous Fan unit from Styria: can you phone me to advise cost please.

By the way, in Australia for the W116 Davies Craig recommedns 2 X Fan Kit part Number 0005 + 1 x Thermatic Switch part Number 0401 + (optional) 1 x Adapter Kit (this allows for the 0401 to be housed in a spearate holder, one inserts this adapter in-line on the radiator hose and eliminates possibility of leakage).

OP
G

Goldacre

I will second what Styria said about Tom Hanson. Never heard of this guy till abl567 dropped his name so emailed him last night and now have the reply for a new part i have been chasing for 9 months, a brand new Axillary Air Valve for the 450 at 1/3 the price that Mercedes Benz here want for one :D

He said that they will need a satellite store here in Australia from the requests for parts he is getting, good on him :cool:

Jules

Andrew280SEL

I've often thought of a thermatic fan for my 350SE. I think, although the fan seems okay, it's a little noisy for some reason (like a bearing noise sort of thing) and a nice quieter electric unit(s?) would probably be nice, with a tiny increase in power and better fuel consumption.

OP
B

BAR

I am all for the elctric fan as a replacement, for the reasons I have previously noted.

Economics must come into consideration, so I will not go down the 'modificiations' path at present. Simply because of the resources of Styria, from whom I will obtain a reconditioned clutch for my fan.

I end up saving money and keeping the car in 'original' state.

In years to come I may end up with a 450SE body and a transplanted 560 motor and gearbox, upgraded brakes etc. But then I would have to consider the cost of engine management units and other electronics that come with the beastie.

All of which makes me revert to the reasons why I got the 450. Minimal use of computers, translating to minimum maintenance costs over time.

OP
B

BAR

Sadly on this occasion the price from Thomas isn't such a ggod one, given the costs of freight etc.

His email:-
Hi Brian,

I just looked up the viscos for the car. $550.00 list price !!!! I haven't
sold one in a longtime. I was a bit shocked. The M-100 group / Mercedes
Benz Club price is $467.50 which is better, but still way too much money. I
can get it here in a day if you wish. We're sending more and more parts to
Australia every week. Client list is growing like wildfire. We're very
pleased to be of service!

WGB

Bad luck about the price for the coupling from Tom.

His service is so good that I wouldn't waste the petrol driving across town if he could supply it at a reasonable cost.

He also gives 15% discount if you are a member of the M-100 group or similar and hold an M-B Club card.

Bill

OP
B

BAR

According to the e-Bay site and details provided; the fan clutch is the same for all the W116 V8s. Perhaps Styria can confirm if the part numbers quoted match his records for all V8 engines.

Mercedes Benz fan clutch W108 W116 W107 3.5 & 4.5 & 6.9 is a brand new original Equipment manufacturer fan clutch imported from Germany. This fan clutch is design to fit your Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz list this item for $488.00 but we are selling them for a fraction of that cost, Mercedes Benz part number for your reference is #1162000522 (Old #1162000122) .

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, the fan clutches for the two models are the same - however, there are two different types, i.e. rebuildable vs. non, and I suspect the units one buys today are not rebuildable.

The item, as pictured on ebay, appears to be the rebuildable type.

Contrary to what the ad says, 116 units will not fit 108's/109's as they employ different fans. Regards Styria