6.9 removal of heads

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Still considering my options - any suggestions other than ..ah....dunno ! Regards Styria

WGB

One of the many "benefits" of heads removal relates to the rubber drains - both located on the firewall and designed clear dirt and debris that accumulates in the fresh air chamber (where the windscreen motor is located).

The one on the left hand side looking towards the front of the car is easy enough to get to. The one on the right - just a tad more difficult. Well, it must be, as evidenced by the picture hereunder..

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69044.jpg

So, with tongue in cheek, it's a great idea to remove the head on that side just to clean out that dirty little puppy. :D Well, it's not easy to get to or remove - just try it. Regards Styria....and yes, I have been hanging onto this pile of dirt for two weeks now - all nicely wrapped up.

Have you told Agriculture and Fisheries or whatever name they go by that you have a load of foliage that possibly originated in Africa.:D

Bill

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Quite honestly guys, the fault lays with the Company. I don't know what you call those rubbery drain "things", but they're all wrong. As they stand, there is every opportunity for debris to go into them, but there is certainly no way that it will come out the bottom end - lovely subject - the mind boggles - don't be crude, man. Anyway, I'll treat it the same way as I did with Gleaming Beauty - cut the bottom off so that there is a bigger hole allowing the stuff to come out the other end. Phew, what a subject. Anyone that wants to tell that this is what topklasse is all about, I'll go along with it, but for tonight only. :D:D Regards Styria

John S

Styria, I thought that the end was flattened out so as to allow water to drain out but act as a stop to anything likely to flow back up the tube.

B13

I don't understand how all that crap is supposed to end up in your firewall drains? There is a very effective gauze underneath the chrome scuttle grille which should stop anything bigger than 0.5mm getting thru.

The firewall drain then directs water and dirt downwards, usually dropping it on an exhaust manifold and away from the firewall. I've always questioned the idea, its a good idea I suppose but poorly executed because the drains sometimes block up even though the exit is large enough to let any 0.5mm particulate matter to escape, but all the same the firewall still rusts, and water on the exhaust manifold still smells funky.

I.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And I guess that is why cleaning out the two drains is listed as a scheduled service item? Scheduled servicing will keep them clean and hopefully avoid rust in the plenum chamber.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

B13

Yes I know that, which is why mine are free from debris and my firewall isn't rusted. However of the many wrecked cars that I visit to buy bits from there's probably 1 out of 8 which has decent firewall drains (the rest have cracked up and are barely holding on) which is why when I find them in good nick I buy them... and then sell them and buy something I actually need.

To clean them you shouldn't need to remove them - just squeeze the duck-bill open and pour copious amounts of water down the scuttle grille to sluce them out.

I.

TJ 450

That sounds very effective, Ian.

Previously, I have blasted water down there, but if the drains are blocked, it's likely water will dam up and flow over the partition into the blower motor compartment. Also, that partition may not be there if it has rusted out, so water will go straight into the cabin! :eek:

I concur that if this area was cleaned out on a regular basis, there would be less a chance of anything untoward happening, just like any other cavity with potentially blocked drain holes on the car.

Tim

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I don't understand how all that crap is supposed to end up in your firewall drains? There is a very effective gauze underneath the chrome scuttle grille which should stop anything bigger than 0.5mm getting thru.

The firewall drain then directs water and dirt downwards, usually dropping it on an exhaust manifold and away from the firewall. I've always questioned the idea, its a good idea I suppose but poorly executed because the drains sometimes block up even though the exit is large enough to let any 0.5mm particulate matter to escape, but all the same the firewall still rusts, and water on the exhaust manifold still smells funky.

I.

Hi B13, I might agree with you in theory, but in practice that gauze filter is not effective - believe me. Plus whatsmore, thirty years of whatever climatic conditions, is enough to test any system, no matter how effective.

I also agree with whoever has said it, that squeezing the little so and sos' (OBH - please clock in !) should let the dirt out. On the other hand, ever tried to squeeze a thin lump of wood or plastic - these rubber 'drains', after nigh on thirty years, will not respond to a 'squeeze' - they need side cutters to open them up. As well, all you 6.9 owners - open up your bonnets and rush to the one behind the rocker covers on the right hand side of the car (as seen from the back) - what do you see, what can you feel, what can you squeeze ? So, I think it's a ....design, especially given the cost of a new replacement. Again, where is that GMC Mower of mine - 200 smackeroos ! What did Ian quote for the new drain thingies ? I have forgotten, but it was depressing......and who said that they are closed on the bottom to stop debris getting to the top...ah, JohnS - John, most unlikely, don't you think ?

BTW, I am not having a dig at anybody - just telling how I think it is. Just briefly getting back to B13's assertion, when we pulled out the heater fan when fixing rust on Gleaming Beauty in the left hand corner with compressed air we blew out an extraordinary amount of those tiny little leaves. I have a picture somewhere, perhaps I can find it. If I do, it'll come to this thread. Regards Styria

TJ 450

On my 6.9, there were even gum leaves under there and large quantities of sand. I think the two holes where the washer nozzles are, are to blame. What concerns me is the fact that through these "things", water is allowed to drain directly onto engine components, etc. The condensate drains for the AC consist of yet another of the same design. :rolleyes:

On the W126, this is addressed with hoses running down under the wheel arches.
However, with the double firewall arrangement, the whole expanse in front of the windsreen is a giant rust and vegetation trap.

There are still no drains in the low area under the bonnet hinges either, on the W126, a source of the dreaded firewall rust. Likewise in the area under the rear window, but I am digressing.

Still, they got very close to perfection and I'm not complaining about it either... the W116 is still "the one" and I do like the W126 as well.

Tim