6.9 euro finally home

More threads by arcijack

arcijack

Connoisseur
i purchased a 1977 6.9 euro from Austin Texas, didn't know what i was getting, was described to me as good, minor rust, minor interior fade, engine out of car, but complete, seemed like a nice guy, said he was selling for a friend that was having some problems and needed to get rid of car, couldnit afford to complete restoration, well i get it hauled 700 miles to my home. car looked ok. rocker panel rusted out, but inner cavity, fine. interior needs redoing, ok with that, but the ugly part, no radiator, no, air compressor, no starter, no power steering pump, no suspension pump, no exhaust manifold, only paid 500.00 dollars for car, but paid 900.00 dollars to have it hauled, the guy was very misleading in his discription, i will probably part it out but their are some posistive, notice pictures.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    785.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    809.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    772.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    777 KB · Views: 27
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    805.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    776.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    793.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    789.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
A

arcijack

Connoisseur
suspension blocks and 5 ronal wheels, pretty good find, would yo not agree?

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Well Arcijack, first of all, thanks for posting the pics. As you quite correctly stated, the car has been somewhat misrepresented to you, and I do think that you have a heck of a lot of hard work ahead of you. You're up to $1400.00 buckeroos at the moment, and in the overall scheme of things, that's a chicken feed amount - in fact, just a fraction of what this car can eventually cost you. To be brutally frank, you'd be rebuilding a car in its entirety, and how much did they cost when new, and what is the cost of a Mercedes model with similar specs today ? Very substantial. Unlike Helmet, don't let the heart rule your head. This is a major undertaking. (You did ask "what do you think"). Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Well Arcijack, first of all, thanks for posting the pics. As you quite correctly stated, the car has been somewhat misrepresented to you, and I do think that you have a heck of a lot of hard work ahead of you. You're up to $1400.00 buckeroos at the moment, and in the overall scheme of things, that's a chicken feed amount - in fact, just a fraction of what this car can eventually cost you. To be brutally frank, you'd be rebuilding a car in its entirety, and how much did they cost when new, and what is the cost of a Mercedes model with similar specs today ? Very substantial. Unlike Helmet, don't let the heart rule your head. This is a major undertaking. (You did ask "what do you think"). Regards Styria

I drove mine home Styria :)
Seriously arcijack it would not be advisable to rebuild this one IMO , good for parts only

Oversize

Grand Master
I'd have to agree that she's pretty bad and there's lots of work and money required to bring her back from the dead. Yes I think it'd be more viable as parts only as long as you can keep it all out of the weather. Leave it out and it'll all be junk in no time. Do you already have a 6.9?

OP
A

arcijack

Connoisseur
thanks guys, i was looking for an honest opinion, thats why i come to this signt. oversize i do have a 6.9, so i will use what i can and strap the rest don't want to spend the money, i looked on the german ebay sight and they have a complete engine with all attatchments for about 5000.00 almost bought it, but had to clear my head and let reason take over. if the engine was complete, it would have been no big deal, my son is a professional welder, he modifies hummers and other highend cars for military use. i anyone needs some parts let me know, thanks again.

OP
A

arcijack

Connoisseur
i thought i would past this little information on to you guys, did a little digging on car today, lots o paper left in glove compartment, the car was owned by the well known country singer Willie Nelson nephew who is a big music producer, he and willie Nelson have a lucrative patnership here in the States. the car was later sold to an engineering firm in Missouri, sold again to a person in Austin .Texas who built race engines, the heads have been re worked, they were in trunk of car, block was inside machine shop, since 1996, Mr kropp was going to restore car but died in 2012. a friend of his family sold the car to me. the chasis number on car is 11603612002158, the block number is 1000112101, heads are 1000162801, more interested in chasis number, if anyone can help me to decipher the chasis no. i would appreciate it. the car is a 1977 model, i called the classic center, they said they would research and get back with me, i found several concours magazines, several registers of various highend cars, one i never heard of a 1968 Italia. 1977 450sl, a 115 and several other registration of mercedes, i have the originial title to car, and my wife dont want to part with it, so i'm between a rock and a hard place, my son is going to look at the car to see how bad the rot is, will keep you posted.