A big WOW on the way home...

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
These things are just SO impressive (even in white)!

PS I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so if it's inappropriate here please feel free to move it elsewhere...

I give you the Mercedes SLS:

IMG_8047_1.jpg

IMG_8048_1.jpg

IMG_8049_1.jpg

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Stunning , thats not an SLS though, is a GT R

I like the GTR. I think it would look better without the wing on the back though. The lines of the car feel more cohesive than some of Mercedes other more recent models that seem to be too busy with all sorts of body creases etc. This is why I would also remove the Wing. Not sure of the colour choices available for the GTR but it would look great in a vibrant blue or something like that.

Maybe fans of white cars will not agree, but white is always good colour to see how a car looks. If the design can look good in white (not easy) then it's probably got something going for it. I've only owned one white car and it was one I could not pass by ( a W111 250SE coupe for $3500)

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Hanging my head in shame that I didn't recall the difference BW the SLS & GTR, but a web search clearly reveals the difference! That said this must be an 'older' model since it seems the 'new' ones have a vertical grille and not a horizontal bar.

FWIW white cannot be regarded as a 'colour' and black is really just the absence of light.

I prefer either sharper contours, or edges since the new coupes seem to lack a bit of character.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
And why on earth did they have to name it a GT?? If I had a dime for every car called that I could actually buy one!! :confused::rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Easiest way to spot an SLS is by the fact it has gullwing doors, unless it’s a convertible.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Being a flagship model they should’ve retained the gull wing doors unless there was a valid functionality issue for them to be eliminated. I’m still not sold on the shape of the headlights either. The shape of the rear in the coupes is too rounded & makes them look like a boat... That said at $350k they’ll always be a Wow!
I really liked the SLR 722 and it’s a shame they were not a big hit with customers.

Styria

The Godfather
With that amount of coin, I would rather buy a nice Bentley or Rolls Royce, and spend the left overs on a Honda Jazz. There ! :LOL: Regards Styria

N.B. Love that little Honda - it just goes and goes and goes - last eight years.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Used to see a satin Green GTR around Braddon /Ainslie in Canberra regularly but then I also saw a satin Pink Bentley Bentayga in the city with a Yellow Lamborghini Urus

Patrick_R

Grand Master
In 2013 my mother in law wanted to buy a new car.
She asked me to find her the right car (as she did with the electric mower you may remember I posted a couple of months ago)
So after a good bit of homework, I decided on a Honda Jazz.

She wanted something that was a tad taller, and a bit of an upright sitting position.
After a good drive, she was very happy and decided.

UNTIL

Her single minded brother who is a one eyed Ford meathead, decided she should buy a 1.4L auto Ford Festiva.
A European made Ford piece of shit, that has been problematic since day one with electrical issues.

It only has 65k on the clock currently, and it now has coolant in the combustion chamber.
You guys know my thoughts on European made cheaper family cars.

So you are spot on Styria, the Jazz is such a bulletproof Japanese classic.
It would have made my life completely stress free.

(Let me know if you ever want to sell it)

Styria

The Godfather
Patrick, it's heartening to know that you have such a high opinion of the Jazz. Believe it or not, you are in tune with the "loud mouthed" guy in the States with the most watched videos but no one seems to like him on TK - would you believe I just can't think of his name, but I like most of his videos. Anyway.....right, Scotty Kilmer - it's just come to me. What does he day - the Honda Jazz/Fit as it is known in the States, is the best small car, period.

Julie's little Honda is somewhat special - built in Dec. 2012, and bought by her in March of 2013, it is Japanese, and not Thailand manufactured. The Honda factory at that time was subject to extensive flooding, so it was built in Japan as denoted by the engine number -BTW 1300c.c. For whatever reason, it was a special model that featured, among other things:

a 5 speed conventional Automatic gearbox - no CVT for this baby.
Proper, enclosed, timing chain - no belts to replace.
paddle shifters on the steering column.
retractable electric mirrors incorporating direction indicators.
roof spoiler
four wheel disc brakes - no rear drums on this baby as on present models.
magic rear seats that can be lifted, as well as folded completely flat
fuel tank under the floor in the centre section of car
came with Dunlop SP tyres replaced at about 70K. with identical Dunlops - they were expensive.
Battery has been replaced with Super Charge unit
Air Conditioning Ice Cold
Cruise Control, but not adaptive.
CD Player, but no Infotainment Screen.
Genuine Honda Front and Rear Floor mats.
Slightly tinted windows all round - factory supplied WITHOUT after market film.
Changed Automatic Transmission Fluid at my request - not a service item. About twelve months ago.

Serviced every six months religiously irrespective of mileage in accordance with Service Book. The initial services carried out by Trivett Honda, but then taken over by the local mechanic down the road from where we live.
Full synthetic Oil (Nulon 5/30) every six months with new genuine Honda Filter, every time.
Spark Plugs changed at 100K. kilometers
All receipts and service records from the beginning right up to now.
Registration and next service due in February/March 2022.
We may well be looking at replacing the little baby after its service in the month of September of this year.

We are not quite sure at this stage what our intentions will be. My oldest son Richie has asked us to reserve the car for his daughter who will be eligible for some form of licence around about September. Obviously, I'd give him the opportunity to acquire the car, but the little girl has snubbed her nose at the car - she wants a Golf and I have said to him to let her decide. Frankly, we'd want to see the little car go to someone who would appreciate and cherish the car for what is - a thoroughly trustworthy and reliable mode of transport.

Duco is still in excellent condition, Interior is unmarked, she has never been parked in the open at any time, has hardly ever been driven in the rain, and insides of wheels are cleaned every six months at service time. Anyway Patrick, that's about it. It is a great car. Regards Styria20220108_143759.jpg20220108_143828.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
What a great write up of a great car.
Beautiful pics as well.
Well, if you come to the conclusion that it will be for sale, and the daughter in law doesn’t want it, would you be kind enough to let me know a price, and we will see how the mother in laws finances are at that time.

Ps;
A Golf?
Hopefully new and not a second hand one.

Styria

The Godfather
What a great write up of a great car.
Beautiful pics as well.
Well, if you come to the conclusion that it will be for sale, and the daughter in law doesn’t want it, would you be kind enough to let me know a price, and we will see how the mother in laws finances are at that time.

Ps;
A Golf?
Hopefully new and not a second hand one.
Thanks Patrick. It is actually my niece, my oldest boy's daughter. Richard has mentioned previously, say twelve months ago, "Dad, if Julie ever sells the car, give me first offer, as it would be an ideal first car for Zara" (his daughter). We had a belated family get together celebrating Christmas on the 29th and basically Richard suggested to the girl "have a seat in the car" - it'd be a great car for you". I didn't really pay a lot of attention, but Julie basically saw the girl sticking up her nose and refusing to sit in the car. Presumably not good enough for her, but I suggested to Richie to not give it another thought - let her do what she wants to do.

My nephew Harrison, started off with a Nissan Navara (he's 20) with big wheels, snorkel Air Intake etc. etc. and had a fair few problems. He was involved in an accident, but the Insurance Company totalled it. Presently I have forgotten whether he has had one or two Golfs - certainly the one I am familiar with was a "worked" GTi, with oversize after market rims that was costing him 60% of his wages in repayments, and never mind other running costs. Anyway, he has sold that at a loss to a mate, and bought a 2011 Toyota 4 door Hi Luxe with illegal wheels and paid $29 grand for it. It's not a good scenario. Richie's wife does have a fairly new (2018) Golf R and that has been trouble free (of sorts) for about eighteen months. So that's the set up.

Patrick, I'll see what happens over time. Regards Styria