W116SEL door handle

More threads by Pete49

Pete49

Distinguished
Hi all, today my 45yo sel needs a new /used part. The drivers door lock no longer locks the car as the mechanism to lock the door no longer works. The key turns ok but the but won't lock or unlock it. Any idea where I can get the part I need/
Pete

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Pete, no problem - I have the part on hand. I am not sure at this stage, but you may need an alternative lock and key. I will check tomorrow to work out what you are likely to need. Regards Styria

OP
P

Pete49

Distinguished
Thanks Godfather. I can replace the key section easily enough to keep original. Just let me know a price and post and payment method.
Pete

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Pete, I am sorry but I completely forgot. Yes, I have a good one - no worry in that regard. If I charged you $35.00 all up, would you be happy with that ? If you are, all I'll need will be your postal address. Regards Styria

N.B. BTW, how are things in Port Augusta ? What is life like ? Really would love to find out a bit more, and perhaps even some pictures would be most welcome.

OP
P

Pete49

Distinguished
Hi Pete, I am sorry but I completely forgot. Yes, I have a good one - no worry in that regard. If I charged you $35.00 all up, would you be happy with that ? If you are, all I'll need will be your postal address. Regards Styria

N.B. BTW, how are things in Port Augusta ? What is life like ? Really would love to find out a bit more, and perhaps even some pictures would be most welcome.
No problem. $35 is good for me, just how would you like payment, Paypal, bank transfer, credit card? I no longer have a cheque account though.
Life here is relaxed and mostly dry as its an arid sort of area but alongside the Flinders Rangers and at the head of Spencer Gulf. At the moment they are building a second bridge to help traffic flow as the existing bridge goes from four lanes into two (one each way) and we get a lot of through traffic as coming from the east, west or north most need to go through this town. I'll see what I can find picture wise later and add them to the site.
I am a member of our car club and so we get plenty opportunities to drive the nicer cars of yesteryear (at least 30 years old) with very little restrictions. I pay $83 a year for registration for the W116 (basically 3rd party only)and can use the car anytime in the year as long as I don't exceed 90 days and they don't have to be club runs either. I can basically drive around Australia as long as I don't exceed 90 days and fill my logbook in daily. My address is Peter Petry, 9 Sparkes Street, Port Augusta, SA 5700.
cheers
Pete

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Peter, I apologize for not having responded to you properly. Whilst I have been busy, I did forget to post the one I had retrieved originally - and to be perfectly honest, I have mislaid it. However, not all is lost - I have collected a replacement unit which I will post to you tomorrow - with my compliments, having regard to the way I have handled this matter.

Unfortunately, I had lost the use of my Internet for two days, therefore was unable to post the replacement item - as I said, it will be posted tomorrow. If I am too late, no worries - just keep it.

Also, thank you for posting some details of your home city. I am always interested as to how others cope with life in their surroundings. Again, my humble apologies. Regards Styria

OP
P

Pete49

Distinguished
No apology needed I tend to lose track as well according to my wife its age related but I dispute that but still lose. Just a bit more information from here , the new section of the bridge is now open to traffic but only 2 lanes as the old section is to be upgraded before they open it all up. Our club, Pt. Augusta Vehicle Restorers club, was invited to be the first to cross the new bridge and we did it in style with a model T, 1948 Pontiac straight 8, a Fargo, FX and FJ holdens, 1987 Roller and a 1965 Valiant. As club captain I didn't want to hog the show so sat back and watched it all with a sausage sanger.
Cheers
Pete

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Peter, door handle posted yesterday afternoon by Express Post. I hope that it will do the job for you. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I could have supplied you with a key.....Hope everything works out okay for you. I have since found the original one I had brought home, but hadn't been able to remember where I out it. Thank you for compliment. Regards Styria

OP
P

Pete49

Distinguished
All good Styria. They are easy to replace the lock section so just a case of taking out my existing lock and putting it into the new handle.
Could you email me your address so I can send you the money I owe you. I managed to toss out the package before writing it down.
Pete

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Pete, I am glad that the replacement part has worked out well for you. As indicated previously, I am happy for you to accept the part as a token of goodwill. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Pete, you're more than welcome. If possible, you may perhaps find the time to support TK with contributions relating to your experiences of Car Ownership. I would ask for no more. Best Regards, Styria