New Tyres For Your Pride & Joy

More threads by Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I know all tyre companies have been subject to recalls at one point or another but I draw you attention to the following:
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tire/Complaint/Nankang/Nankang/Tire+Tread+and+Belt
I understand that Nankang did not comply with American law, did not attempt to notify owners of a potential danger and to date have not adequately addressed the issues.
Under these circumstances, I would not use Nanakang products on any of my vehicles. Safety should never be compromised by the savings of a few dollars.
I am aware that many people have had success with Nankang tyres but it would be unethical of me if I failed to draw your attention to the above.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

This is scary stuff....
I stopped reading after complaint numer 12.... but they were all the same...

flugelfrog

Thanks for all the comments and assistance - proof once again that this forum - and some others! - are worth their weight in gold !!
I have decided that I would be mad not to keep with Rosso's. I've just clicked over to 46000klms and I estimate the rears are down to about 1mm over the wear limit and the fronts say 2mm. I intend to renew the tyres in the next few weeks although they still feel good and seem to be 'grippy' and not noisy.
Prices for Rosso's (for the 4) range from $3000 from the local MB dealer to a little over $2100 (and still negotiating !) from Bob Jane. Considering my anticipated future mileage (in this car) will be only 10000 klms per annum, the tyres will last well over 4 years, with an average weekly cost of only $8 or $9
and thats' OK with me !
Regards
Ron

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I think it's been a good and useful discussion, and I am sure that there has to be a lesson well learned by each of us somewhere along the line. I myself will use Nankangs again as I have had no adverse experience either by way of lifting treads or any other defects. Regarding the harsh ride - hmm...just not quite sure what to make of that, and to be sure, Gleaming Beauty with its 18" rims may feel somewhat "more firm", but i would always have put that down to the larger size rims compared with standard.

Incidentally, I have always been under the impression that the Nankangs that had been fitted to Gleaming Beauty were manufactured in Taiwan, and not in China and to be perfectly honest, I have great respect for goods manufactured in that country. Prior to purchasing the Speedy Wheels , I had Mercedes 15" rims shod with Chinese made Good Year tyres. Again, I could not fault those tyres, and I subsequently sold those rims and tyres to Bar, one of our members. I do not believe that he had any problems with that rim/tyre combination.

The other day, I came across some nice looking Firestones, made in New Zealand. They looked very impressive, with a nice tread pattern, and in a size very close to the original XWX tyres. This is an overall picture of the Magnetite Blue 6.9 that is now owned by fellow member Ofontenay - as you can see, the tyres, being 2.25.65.14 tie in well size wise with originals.

fonteneyolivier69010.jpg

A close-up shot of the tread pattern...

fonteneyolivier69005.jpg

and another closer look at its height level - 96H...

fonteneyolivier69006.jpg

Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Nankang has a manufaturing plant in their home of Taiwan and one in the PRC - as you can see when you visit their site: http://www.nankang.com.tw/home.php?fn=eng/about
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Thank you for that link - there is some quite useful information on their site - and I am now convinced that, after all, the Nankangs I had purchased for Gleaming Beauty were in fact made in Taiwan. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
This is an old thread that I found when searching tyre subjects. Styria you probably already know now, but 96H refers to a load rating of 96 and a speed rating of H.

What does everyone think of Kumho Tyres? What about Toyos, Falken, or Hankooks?