450SEL 6.9 suspension blocks

More threads by Des

Des

For anyone interested the part numbers for the emergency suspension blocks that originally came with these cars, but like many things get lost and thrown out over time.

When these things "drop" they really drop to their knees, you can hardly get your foot under the side of the car they drop that low.

A 116 328 0139 for the right and A 116 328 0039 for the left
The bigger ones have both A 126 327 00 30,

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Can you still get them?

And if so, they probably are in the thousands of dollars... :eek:

John S

Wow that is expensive - however if we could get an original block and make a mould from it, it would then be relatively easy to make copies for anyone that wanted them. It's been a long time since I used some cold cure rubber, but it's probably still around, or a more modern substitute is probably available.

OP
Des

Des

John have to agree, if people could pay $500 a set and not $5,000 it would be quite reasonable.

The only real issue I have with 6.9's and a few other MB models is a few of the parts can be very expensive, while it is not like they fail every day or every week it just seems sometimes that Mercedes price parts out of people's reach.

W

Wolfgang

@ Des

The suspension blocks were not a standard accessory. The blocks were optional available.

OP
Des

Des

@ Des

The suspension blocks were not a standard accessory. The blocks were optional available.

Wolfgang that is interesting as I thought they were in the boot with the tools when the cars were brand new.

W

Wolfgang

Wolfgang that is interesting as I thought they were in the boot with the tools when the cars were brand new.

It should be on board from factory. IMHO this is one of the extremely rarely cases where Mercedes don´t live up to their reputation.

But maybe they think their product is so good, that the owner never come in a situation to use it. Or that this part could be a sign for liability of the suspension. Another reason could be that the genteel owner, who bought the 6.9 new, never fit in the blocks self and call always the dealer´s workshop.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It should be on board from factory. IMHO this is one of the extremely rarely cases where Mercedes don´t live up to their reputation.
Another reason could be that the genteel owner, who bought the 6.9 new, never fit in the blocks self and call always the dealer´s workshop.

I kinda agree with you on the genteel owner theory....
When you're the type of person who spends this sort of money on a new car, you don't want to mess with repairs and maintenance...
Let the dealer handle it...:rolleyes:

CraigS

Reminds me of the Tucker. It was so advanced in 1949 that it had seat belts, but they had to remove them as potential customers thought the car wasn't safe and that was why you needed seat belts !

Styria

The Godfather
Hi CraigS, is this the sort of "Tucker" you may be referring to ?

gearboxmodelnumbers347.jpg

gearboxmodelnumbers348.jpg

I am not sure how long "Tuckers" were in production for - I suspect that they may have been somewhat irradical for their time. The one pictured in this post is a Franklin Mint model. Regards Styria

CraigS

That's the one. Only 48 were produced, although some sources say 51, and all in the same year. This was also a rear engined car, but not air cooled. Cars change hands these days for anywhere in excess of US$1,000,0000.

It's worth getting the DVD movie "Tucker - the man and his dream".Shows you how the US auto industry treated these small players.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi CraigS, it's quite an impressive looking car for its day - quite streamlined and somewhat reminiscent of Studebalers of that era.

It's a pity that the car in the picture immediately above the "Tucker" does not command the same money. Furthermore, as far as you know or are aware, where would your Tatra fit alongside the Tucker with engine in back, swing axle (?) at the back, also perhaps so similar of the Porsches that were to come. All very interesting stuff. Regards Styria

Andreas

Hi Guys,

New to this forum but not the 116.

I just bought a set of blocks and it cost me $1700 through an MB dealer. Still a lot of money but now I have a set.

s class

I have no idea what all the fuss is about 6.9 suspension. I own 2 cars now - getting close to a year since I got them. Both are supremely trouble free in the susension department. The blue car will stand for a month with ZERO sagging - the red one only just starts to show sagging in the front after a month - but I mean you have to know the car to see its dropped any. Give me hydraulics over springs any day. I do have a set of blocks - but the only use I see for them is when I export the cars when I emigrate.

s class

styria - I'm more curious about the multicoloured hawaiian style object next to GB's picture - is that a surf-board, and if so, is it mandatory to own one prior to applying for Aus citizenship? ;)

Styria

The Godfather
Several subject matters rolled into one. Yes S-Class, the "thingy" next to Gleaming Beauty's picture is indeed my latest boogie board which, thus far, has never seen a single wave.

I hung it up on the wall purely for decorative reasons and it was also an attempt to block sound from my PC system sub-woofer from intruding to the Lounge Room which is situated on the other side of the wall. It made no difference - little 'piggys' have excellent hearing. I guess it is not mandatory to have one if you're migrating to Australia - a huge wad of cash is a better hedge to happy citizenship.

Interesting to look at the pros and cons of 6.9 versus normal suspension. I personally prefer to stick to keeping a 6.9 original, especially when the hydraulic suspension feature is so unique and played such an important part of development and subsequent marketing as a model that sought to set new standards of comfort, handling, power and safety.

Never mind that apparently, even when new, some people found fault with the quality of handling, or lack thereof. It was always likened to being imprecise and wallowy but, then again, the person that I have heard make those remarks only worked on 6.9's. He never owned one, so would never have driven one in anger on the highway. In my opinion, that's where the 6.9 starts to shine - the faster the better.

I have read John Erbe's observations and comments regarding the conversion of his 6.9 to steel springs. I don't have a problem with that, as it is important for an owner to be able to enjoy ownership of his/her car, and if the conversion achieved that, I'm all for it. I personally have found the system to be just about totally reliable, and as long as one can buy replacement parts from alternative sources, that's the way to go. I am also of the opinion that genuine and unmolested 6.9's are attracting a greater degree of collectability and commensurate increase in value. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Andreas, straight from the horse's mouth. I am referring to availability and price. So many variables have been bandied about over the years so, for the time being, the issues of price and availability can be put to rest. Thanks for that. BTW, how was Cuba, and Havanna in particular - any pics, any observations, any toughts on the country ? Any info would be great.

The way I see it, I have never come across any 6.9 that has been COMPLETELY down on its haunches. There is always a bit left over to work with - if you know what I mean. The blocks themselves are not your answer to every day motoring - their purpose is strictly to get you to your nearest Mercedes Authorized Workshop and for transportation purposes - nothing else. Driving the car for any distance in excess of ten metres over any broken surface will shake your internals to pieces. Regards Styria