300SEL - 6.3 Ignition Key

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I've had a 1971 model in my care for a number of years waiting for the owner to forward instructions concerning bodywork to be carried out and for further attention. Naturally, not having been mobile for years, the car is down on its haunches with the air suspension not being mobile. Naturally, in this collapsed condition, it is almost impossible to manoeuvre the car, and that cause is not helped by having a locked steering and no ignition key to unlock it.

For months, that's been a situation to cause me grief, and the time has arisen where the car will have to be moved. But how? I do have a set of hydraulic "wheel lifters" but one needs a smooth concrete floor for that purpose - but it is not readily available where the car is now.

I have any number of ignition keys for both Mercedes and Rovers - a box full, in fact, but none that would fit. Curious that ! So I hit on the idea of ringing Mercedes themselves to order a new key. All well and good, but not only would they need a chassis number, but also a statutory declaration of ownership and other details. The cost would be $100.00 for a new key, from Germany. In the hope of unlocking the column, I had tried probably twenty keys, without success.I then twigged on the idea of finding the correct key by utilising the locks on the front door handles. Ah, eventually, I found a key that would work on the driver's door, but did not work on the passenger lock. Peculiar, but I tried it in the ignition barrel and guess what ? It did not work.

I now decided to ring a locksmith that had been recommended, but he would want $300.00, with the added 'bonus' that he'd be able to come up with the correct key. Hmm...$300.00, but could not expect the owner to pay for an extravaganza incurred as a result of action on my part.so, that was really out. What next ? Something made me think of a locksmith that I would drive past on almost a daily basis - 😒- especially as they had already made up a number of Rover keys in days gone by.

So I took both door handles with the one key that had actually worked on one of the locks and asked if they would be able to come up with a multi purpose key. Yeah sure, but we are very busy and closing time for Christmas would be the following morning. Hi please, I am desperate. Can I call in the next morning ? Anyway, that's what I did to be greeted with two shiny keys with each working on both locks, and a bill for $44.00 ! Okay, next step - would the keys fit the ignition lock ? With a lot of trepidation, but I still couldn't wait to try it, I went to the premises where the car is kept. Turned on the lights, tried to insert one of the keys gently and gingerly, with baited breath.....it went in easily enough, and when it came to turn to unlock the steering, the action of the key was as smooth as the proverbial soft butter. Success ! That's my feel good Christmas story. Regards. Styria

CraigS

Reminds me of the time I locked the keys in the roundie boot. Not having a spare with me (the spare was in Turkey so a bit far to go), I was lucky enough to come across a security guard with a bunch of keys. After selecting a number of similar keys, one did the trick and I was on my way again. There is something to be said for worn locks !

Enjoy your Christmas and New year everyone.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
So I took both door handles with the one key that had actually worked on one of the locks and asked if they would be able to come up with a multi purpose key. Yeah sure, but we are very busy and closing time for Christmas would be the following morning. Hi please, I am desperate. Can I call in the next morning ? Anyway, that's what I did to be greeted with two shiny keys with each working on both locks, and a bill for $44.00 ! Okay, next step - would the keys fit the ignition lock ? With a lot of trepidation, but I still couldn't wait to try it, I went to the premises where the car is kept. Turned on the lights, tried to insert one of the keys gently and gingerly, with baited breath.....it went in easily enough, and when it came to turn to unlock the steering, the action of the key was as smooth as the proverbial soft butter. Success ! That's my feel good Christmas story. Regards. Styria

Good to know there is a local locksmith that can do this for reasonable money.

by 1971 the W109's had the same key for ignition as with doors? Both my W111's had three keys, ignition, doors, etc.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, luckily enough that was the case. One master key to unlock ignition, two front doors and, I think, the glovebox as well. There was also an arrangement, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that there was a unique key that would only open the boot. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
You're thinking of the valet key, it opened the doors and operated the ignition but restricted access to the boot and glove box so when you handed over the key for valet parking you could safeguard your possessions from prying eyes.
This key had a rounded, almost oval, head while the main key, which operated all locks and a squarer head.