The 300SEL 6.3

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
First up, a recently published video on a Mercedes model that's been an icon, a source of folklore, an item of desire, for many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEGUc6HK9Q

There aren't too many items in this video that haven't been chronicled before, many many times. I would like to put my own interpretation on either owning, or working, on these cars. abl567 owns a 6.3 that I was intimately involved in as far as the restoration process is concerned, and I hope he forgives me for any facet of the restoration that may not meet his standards.

When owning a 6.3, that are certain aspects that will require one's attention. Firstly., the fuel system. Unfortunately, parts are no longer available or, if they are, they are expensive. I am talking about the Injection Pump that can be rebuilt and calibrated by experts only, and they don't come cheap. Injectors are expensive, if you can buy them - someone once said they were about a grand each. I can't confirm that, but they won't be cheap. At one stage, I was dealing with a Diesel engineer that knew all about the pumps, he had all machinery to flow test the pump in operation, but he could not set up the pump. A company in Melbourne has the equipment needed to carry out this operation. While still on the fuel system, removal of the pump is a back breaker, refitting even harder and not a job for the faint hearted. There are other facets of the fuel system that I could talk about, but that would become very time consuming and may test the patience of the reader.

The car in question here is an early model with the gear change "the other way" round. Positioning of the selector quadrant is the reverse when compared with later models. Also, the positioning of the window switches varies from the later models by being part of the door trims. Quite a beautiful arrangement. With this car being an early model, some interior fittings are of a better quality to what you get with the next models, such as door lock fittings, chromed interior rear vision mirror etc. One has to look, but the variations are evident. One other aspect of this car is the upholstery material. It is known as Cognac, being caramel in colour with red flecks interposed - not sure if I am expressing myself correctly. It is probably the most desirable upholstery. I still have a car with that very same material. It is simply exquisite.

Suspension - much maligned by many but I find it one of the easier items on the car to work on. Suspension valves can be rebuilt locally at fair prices, but Air Bags can be costly to purchase. Replacement not that easy, but it's all nuts and bolts, with the right rear being the most difficult on account of its proximity to the exhaust system. I used to own a Finnie 300SEL with similar suspension, and I found that the lifespan of Air Bags is about five years. When they blow, even just one, it just about shook my Fibro House and the car dropped down to its haunches - right down ! Also, the left front valve needs to be treated with kid gloves - there are about, from memory, six steel pipes that need to be fitted to it, and they are all fine threaded like brake pipes. So easy to cross thread.

Heads Removal - been there, done that. It is important to benchfit the left hand manifold because it is impossible to attach it to the head once that has been fitted to the engine block. It is also of the utmost importance to retighten cylinder heads after the initial five hundred kilometres because, if you fail to do so, the left hand cylinder head will start leaking oil at its rearmost position. I might elaborate a little further on what is quiote a fascinating and rewarding car to own. Regards Styria

P1010008-01.jpg

P1010004-01.jpg

Last edited:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
First up, a recently published video on a Mercedes model that's been an icon, a source of folklore, an item of desire, for many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEGUc6HK9Q

There aren't too many items in this video that haven't been chronicled before, many many times. I would like to put my own interpretation on either owning, or working, on these cars. abl567 owns a 6.3 that I was intimately involved in as far as the restoration process is concerned, and I hope he forgives me for any facet of the restoration that may not meet his standards.

When owning a 6.3, that are certain aspects that will require one's attention. Firstly., the fuel system. Unfortunately, parts are no longer available or, if they are, they are expensive. I am talking about the Injection Pump that can be rebuilt and calibrated by experts only, and they don't come cheap. Injectors are expensive, if you can buy them - someone once said they were about a grand each. I can't confirm that, but they won't be cheap. At one stage, I was dealing with a Diesel engineer that knew all about the pumps, he had all machinery to flow test the pump in operation, but he could not set up the pump. A company in Melbourne has the equipment needed to carry out this operation. While still on the fuel system, removal of the pump is a back breaker, refitting even harder and not a job for the faint hearted. There are other facets of the fuel system that I could talk about, but that would become very time consuming and may test the patience of the reader.

The car in question here is an early model with the gear change "the other way" round. Positioning of the selector quadrant is the reverse when compared with later models. Also, the positioning of the window switches varies from the later models by being part of the door trims. Quite a beautiful arrangement. With this car being an early model, some interior fittings are of a better quality to what you get with the next models, such as door lock fittings, chromed interior rear vision mirror etc. One has to look, but the variations are evident. One other aspect of this car is the upholstery material. It is known as Cognac, being caramel in colour with red flecks interposed - not sure if I am expressing myself correctly. It is probably the most desirable upholstery. I still have a car with that very same material. It is simply exquisite.

Suspension - much maligned by many but I find it one of the easier items on the car to work on. Suspension valves can be rebuilt locally at fair prices, but Air Bags can be costly to purchase. Replacement not that easy, but it's all nuts and bolts, with the right rear being the most difficult on account of its proximity to the exhaust system. I used to own a Finnie 300SEL with similar suspension, and I found that the lifespan of Air Bags is about five years. When they blow, even just one, it just about shook my Fibro House and the car dropped down to its haunches - right down ! Also, the left front valve needs to be treated with kid gloves - there are about, from memory, six steel pipes that need to be fitted to it, and they are all fine threaded like brake pipes. So easy to cross thread.

Heads Removal - been there, done that. It is important to benchfit the left hand manifold because it is impossible to attach it to the head once that has been fitted to the engine block. It is also of the utmost importance to retighten cylinder heads after the initial five hundred kilometres because, if you fail to do so, the left hand cylinder head will start leaking oil at its rearmost position. I might elaborate a little further on what is quite a fascinating and rewarding car to own. Regards Styria

Nice write up. I always thought the 300SEL 3.5 might be a nice car to own, like a 6.3 but with the ubiquitous m116 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Very interesting write up Styria, from someone who knew almost nothing about these cars, to know knowing a bit more.
It’s always a good day when I learn something, so thank you Styria :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thank you C107 and Patrick for your encouraging remarks. What I have found is that it is not unusual for underbonnet changes to occur from year to year. Nothing really major, but brackets here and there, relays etc. etc. Still sticking to under engine bay area, the fuel filter located at the very left front of the inner guard is not an easy item to replace. Why they put it in that area, I just don't know, but I don't like it. Another two difficult items to adjust - firstly, the adjustment pulley for the AirConditioning Compressor located at the front of the engine block - there is no facility to use an adjustment arrangement - all done by muscle power, or by hydraulic jack or some form of long extension jacking up the pulley itself from under the car and then tightening it. Not easy.

In addition, adjustment of the twin power steering belts again is almost impossible. I used to drill an inspection hole (access hole) in the inner guard in line with the adjustment bolt. Any other means of adjustment is well nigh impossible. I have some pics of engine bay compartments which will illustrate the extent of equipment that you will find there. Impressive !

Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have experienced difficulty in submitting pictures to TK for various reasons. Out of the two pictures, the engine bay shot of the red 6.3 Coupe to some degree illustrates the tight fit of the M100 mechanicals in the W111 body. BTW, the other car, the red Convertible, is not a 6.3. The Company never manufactured a 6.3 Coupe.

The car illustrated was the product of a $300K. restoration pooling the resources of two donor cars in addition to the illustrated Coupe itself. The car at one stage was advertised for sale and the owner procured it for $140K. Its present whereabouts are unknown. I carried out a fair bit of work on the car, but was never totally enamoured by its driving characteristics. Nothing really one could put a finger on, but it just lacked that certain something that would satisfy a keen and knowledgeable (!) driver. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Superb Mercedes I have seen the car in the photo you posted Styria at the Concourse many times before.