What colour for the Crayford wagon?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well? Come on!!! Tell - or is it a secret until the Beast is unveiled?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

No secrets here, but it would be along the same lines as I mentioned for GreaseMonkey, but using different additives...

At the moment I am in the middle of organising a Phantoms Day Out for late autumn. Gives you time to buy one and get it in order but you will need to hurry. Just wait until you feel my steering - you'll be in love with it and want one. ;)
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Ohhhh I'd luuurve to...

But I don't think I will have one in time...:(

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Well maybe I will try your colour idea.
But wouldn't Cypress or Pine Green do?
As for the Phantom day out, c'mon, he as given us until autumn, all of three months at a stretch, to get our own RR Phantom, and lets face it, the way the market is right now, they are up for grabs everywhere at Hyundai money aren't they?
We'll all be there, Brian, fully Phantomed and raring to go!
C.M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well, as usual, except in matters if Inter-Galactic parking signs, Mr Grease-Monkey is correct. There are two for sale in Sydney at the moment. One has no body and therefore could be turned into a Special Racer ( in the style of Railton) and the other is a Limousine with ample room for Mrs G-M and your favourite pooch to lounge around in while you drive.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Not a big fan of Railton, he, after all thought he could make a classy car out of a Hudson, rather like making a Lambo with Daewoo parts in today's paralnce.
No, it would have to be rebodied in fitting style, as nice as a Gurney Nutting, but maybe as a two seat (sorry pooch) speedster.
I'll leave the limo for Michel, if he wants it.
And, by the way, Mrs G-M can drive a Ford Model T, how many forumsters here can claim that? So she can take care of any car.
C.M.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I have actually flown out of the Fairmile airfield at Cobham in Surrey where the old Railton factory was.
Yes, he built some typical thirties hot-rods, British style on big American motors, as did Jensen, but they never matched the real thing; Alvis, Bentley, Rolls Royce etc.
A mere footnote in the great plan, nothing more.
Now, where is that Phantom chassis?
I have a very cunning plan Baldrick.
C.M.

Styria

The Godfather
I think that sometimes you just have to go with what appeals to you and then, in the end, you have to convince yourself that what you have has been the best choice and that you are going to like it, whether you like it or not !

When I first showed my Petrol Green 'Gleaming Beauty', a female quite rightly pointed out that the Petrol Blue (it's Blue, not Green - MB 877 !) did not really match the blue upholstery - well, she is right, wasn't she but, ever since then, I have convinced myself that the colour combo looks OKAY. What more can I say - unless I have lots of spare dollars to spend. Regards Styria

In case anyone wants to correct my Grammar, please don't - I have purposely used the phraseology.

Lukas

What about (based on the near-white interior):

Blue Metallic Clearcoat - 396 - a slate-type blue
Lapis Blue Metallic Clearcoat - 932 - lighter version of the above
Moss Green Metallic - 834 - dark green (similar to good old brunswick green)

There are all darkish colours that contrast with the light interior - there are plenty of pastel type ones that would match it by similarity instead if that's the way to go. If it were me though, I'd go one of the mid to dark blues - blue + chrome + whiteish interior = lovely.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

What's wrong with Silver Green?

BC.png

Regards,
Benz-Boy

PS: Ok - so it is a colour for the more 'senior' driver? :D:D:D

Well thanks at last, that's what I was after, someone to post real photos of real cars in real M-B colours.
My concern is just that I am not sure a pale shade like Silver Green will look good with the white trim, and the interior is so good it is a keeper, so it is the paint that will change. Also, although that looks good in that photo, I am yet to be persuaded that any car with acreage of metal (ok, alright, and bog!) would look good covered in snot!
Am I wrong?
C.M.

OzBenzHead

Master
For what it's worth, Chris, when I was considering a colour change for der Rolfwagen, my two equal-first preferences were for a very dark brown or ditto green over a pale to mid interior.

I had settled (more or less) on an interior range inclusive of parchment, saffron, palomino (Boris's trim), light palomino, bambu, beige, light beige, wheat, or cognac [fave]. Carpet to suit.

My preferred paint colours were (my firm choice was (remains) for solid colour, not metallic):

1. dunkeltabakbraun 423, brasilbraun 409, havannabraun 408, topazbraun 424, and dunkelrotbraun 460 [fave; Note: Ponton / Adenauer colour].

2. dunkeloliv 291, mangogrün 875, blaugrün 268, or dunkelgrün 221; none of those was quite right -- what I really wanted was a dark "British Racing Green". A green as solid and near-black as is Boris's dunkelblau.

There was a particular W109 combination (and one example of a Pagoda) of a deep brown over cognac/bambu that seemed just right. I've linked some paste-ups below from my colour search.

I suppose there's dunkelblau; or perhaps a deep red (like at least three US-built examples). You're the one who has to live with your choice -- make it yours and bugger what anyone might think. I'm with you, though, that the pale interior and the excess of chrome need a deep, rich paint colour for best balance.

In the end, I decided to stay with der Rolfwagen's original scheme because I couldn't find quite the right paint colour, and to make a change for the sake of it yet not be satisfied seemed silly, and my concerns about driving inside a large, dark avocado began to not matter, as I have no plans to make my Crayford a daily driver. Further, in all the pics I've seen of W116 Crayford estates, there's only one yellow example -- so far. So ahorngelb (maple yellow) 606 over avocado it stays.

ChocolateCognac.png

ChocolateCognac-2.png

BrownsReds.png

Greens.png

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
For what it's worth, Chris, when I was considering a colour change for der Rolfwagen, my two equal-first preferences were for a very dark brown or ditto green over a pale to mid interior.
In the end, I decided to stay with der Rolfwagen's original scheme because I couldn't find quite the right paint colour, and to make a change for the sake of it yet not be satisfied seemed silly, and my concerns about driving inside a large, dark avocado began to not matter, as I have no plans to make my Crayford a daily driver. Further, in all the pics I've seen of W116 Crayford estates, there's only one yellow example -- so far. So ahorngelb (maple yellow) 606 over avocado it stays.

Nice choice...
I would have that pale yellow anytime

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

What's wrong with Silver Green?

Well ok, I am coming round, maybe it can stay. I may consider tinted glass anyway, and that may help.

BC.png

Regards,
Benz-Boy

PS: Ok - so it is a colour for the more 'senior' driver?
That's me! An old F*rt.

:D:D:D

Chris M.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I had settled (more or less) on an interior range inclusive of parchment, saffron, palomino (Boris's trim), light palomino, bambu, beige, light beige, wheat, or cognac [fave]. Carpet to suit.

My preferred paint colours were (my firm choice was (remains) for solid colour, not metallic):

1. dunkeltabakbraun 423, brasilbraun 409, havannabraun 408, topazbraun 424, and dunkelrotbraun 460 [fave; Note: Ponton / Adenauer colour].

2. dunkeloliv 291, mangogrün 875, blaugrün 268, or dunkelgrün 221; none of those was quite right -- what I really wanted was a dark "British Racing Green". A green as solid and near-black as is Boris's dunkelblau.

There was a particular W109 combination (and one example of a Pagoda) of a deep brown over cognac/bambu that seemed just right. I've linked some paste-ups below from my colour search.

I suppose there's dunkelblau; or perhaps a deep red (like at least three US-built examples). You're the one who has to live with your choice -- make it yours and bugger what anyone might think. I'm with you, though, that the pale interior and the excess of chrome need a deep, rich paint colour for best balance.

In the end, I decided to stay with der Rolfwagen's original scheme because I couldn't find quite the right paint colour, and to make a change for the sake of it yet not be satisfied seemed silly, and my concerns about driving inside a large, dark avocado began to not matter, as I have no plans to make my Crayford a daily driver. Further, in all the pics I've seen of W116 Crayford estates, there's only one yellow example -- so far.

And now you bring it up, no more in Silver Green either.
So what does the registry have so far?
The blue one in England is a nice colour, Barry's greeny/gold isn't.
An unknown (mendacious?) combination of two in Diamond Blue, and two in red in Germany?
Sophia Loren (bless her...any Sophia photos posted here will be most welcome) had hers in Switzerland in what from b&w photos looked like a light metallic, do we know for sure?
Another red in USA we know of, for sale.
That leaves JG's blue one, was originally another blue, and the Astral Silver SEL.
Yours is staying yellow, I guess mine is staying green.
Any more discoveries?
Chris M.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Our contemporary world is loosing its sense of style. And, I don't confine this to cars alone.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

So now we know;
Brian has a dgree in 'Stating-The-Bloody-Obvious'.
Never mind, all is cosy back in Gurney Nutting world.
I am time travelling back to that photo of Ms Loren and her 300SL.
Perfection!
That was style.
C.M.