Update on WASABI the Crayford wagon.

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

A quick update on the latest in the Crayford department.
'Wasabi' has been getting some attention and is all the better for it.
When I got the car it was reluctant to start, and this was the easiest to fix.
Someone in the past had fitted a locking petrol cap (presumably as the central locking was not working), but it was sealed, ie no breather hole, and two minutes after I bought it, (as whenever I have bought a car the tank was empty) I pulled in a servo to fill up and noticed the big suck from the vacuum in the tank, I was surprised it ran at all!
Anyway, a standard petrol cap cured that.
I fitted a passenger side door mirror, as I prefer to have one, and I guess it was an option back in '75, so did not have one.
The spare tyre is now of the right size to match the others, there was a 185 x 14 in there!
The air-con was not working and the compressor was stuffed, but I had a good one on my parts car, and as I prefer to have a new timing chain fitted as insurance on any old car with no known service history, I asked Dave at PhilStar Motors in Wollongong to fit and gas the air-con at the same time.
Rego was due too, so Dave replaced a couple of worn front suspension bushes and had some small holes in the passenger side front floor welded with patches. This corrosion appeared to be rusted from the inside out, and I suspected a blocked air-con drain, (from when it had worked in the past), rather than a leaking windscreen, so I had those cleaned out too.
I tuned it up with new plugs, and using a timing light and a vacuum gauge have got it running sweetly now.
The several different shades of green from various bodged touch-ups did not look good, so I gave the petrol filler flap to B&L Paint Supplies of Unanderra to match a litre and had the dodgiest bits blown over to a closer match. It still will need a bare metal repaint, probably in original Silver Green if it is ever going to be a concours contender, but that will have to wait. At least it is all one colour now.
John Green of M-B Spares supplied a replacement for the broken plastic strip that runs along the back edge where the tailgate (what would a boot on a sedan) locks, so now it looks neater and the rattle from the back has gone too.
With a clean and adjustment, the driver's door window now goes up and down freely.
It now proudly sports a W116.ORG chrome grille badge too.
I recently got a pair of correct coil springs from another forum member, so I can now fit the self-levelling system hydraulic parts from my W123 donor car, as it had this originally, and would seem an essential option on a station wagon.
Future jobs to do include fitting the above mentioned rear suspension, fix the central locking, replace the dodgy stereo with a period Becker Mexico, and source a set of correct genuine M-B alloys to replace the INTRA copies it currently wears.
The roof rack is badly corroded, and will either be replaced by a W123 T-wagon type, or deleted altogether, as I am unable to find exactly what rack Crayford originally fitted,(it is not the old Ford Granada type that John Green's car has).
The interior is clean enough to be useable for now, but will get some attention when the paint job is done hopefully next year.
For the various small items it will need later it may be worth buying a complete W116 S-class sedan with the same colour interior and alloy wheels as a donor car.
Anyway, for now it runs good, steers, stops and looks smarter, so I can now use it regularly.
Weather permitting (forecast looks ok) I will bring it to the Shannons Eastern Creek Classic Day tomorrow, so the curious can gawk "what is THAT?" and would be happy to meet any other forumsters.
SeeYa
Chris
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk272/Rev-Head_photos/M-B 280SE Crayford/CRAY5.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Look forward to seing it tomorrow near the 690SEL

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Your amazing Des.....

You are continuously finding newer pics...:eek:

OP
B

BAR

When you need them I have a set of 4 x 14" Bundt's with Dunlop Monza P215/65 x 14 Tyres. The tyres have 60% plus life left.

Wheels are in very good condition - no chips or dents.

You can send me a personal email brignall at unwired dot com dot au [just replace at and dot with '@' and '.'] if you are interested. I live in a North Western suburb of Sydney.

OP
B

BAR

Interesting comment on the Grandad.

Crayford used a lot of Ford Grandad components to make up the rear end. They borrowed the cargo area side windows and rear tail gate [and lift mechanism] from the Ford. You may find that a Falcoon roof rack would fit!

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

So who is BenzBoy? I am still having a problem putting names to faces, a lot of people say 'Hi' and G'Day' but also using usernames on websites - like me 'GreaseMonkey' and we don't know who anyone is when we meet......
anyway, had a good day.
Thanks all
Chris

BenzBoy

Grand Master
So who is BenzBoy? I am still having a problem putting names to faces, a lot of people say 'Hi' and G'Day' but also using usernames on websites - like me 'GreaseMonkey' and we don't know who anyone is when we meet......
anyway, had a good day.
Thanks all
Chris

That is why we need someone to throw on a BBQ!!! I believe that would be the job of The Godfather!! :eek: Well, at least he can show us his slides....:rolleyes: There must be more of His Olga?
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That is why we need someone throw through on a BBQ!!! I believe that would be the job of The Godfather!! :eek: Well, at least he can show us his slides....:rolleyes: There must be more of His Olga?
Regards,
BenzBoy

HEAR HEAR

116Benz

Speaking of crayfords check this out

image11571.png

image11572.png

image11573.png

image11574.png

THAT looks like a 6.9 Crayford, theres a black spoiler poking out underneath the front, missing the headlight wipers though, and the exhaust outlet is wrong. HMMM curious!

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

There was a story I read a while back, (can't remember where) that whoever in Germany had bought the Mcmullan car from L.A. intended to fit a 6.9.
If so, that may be the car? And would he have bothered going the full 6.9 spec, including the suspension, or just the motor?
Whatever, someone has done a great job on that. I may try to get on to Meilenwerk to see if I can find out more, but my German is not too good even with an on-line translator.
I have photos of either two different 450SEL wagons at their workshop, or maybe the same car before and after. Both the same blue with alloys and roofrack, but one photo has American bumpers and typically Anerican white stripe tyres, plus the rear window side glass missing. The other photos are the same spec as the ones Des has posted. I'm guessing the one bought from USA was sent there to be de-Americanised and restored.
Either way, looks like a million dollars. We need to know the whole story!
Chris M.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

HEAR HEAR

It's awkward turning up at events and trying to match faces and cars to forum names, so what I suggest is that we all get either T-shirts printed, or alternatively some sort of decal or sign we can post in the windscreen identifying ourselves.
Most people in Woolworths car park would not pay much attention to someone getting out of a big green old wagon with GreaseMonkey written on his chest, but it might break the ice when we're wandering the pitlane at Eastern Creek or wherever?
Any other suggestions?
Chris M.

SELfor50

Nice looking car Chris and looks like you are coming along nicely with her

CRAY5.png

Chris, don't think i've commented on how nice Wasabi is!!
You have a nice car too!! :D ;)

You gotta get some curtains for the back though... :cool:

116Benz

If it's getting wood *giggle* maybe some longboards strapped to the roof racks? And a swag mattress rolled up in the back.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Having your avatar picture of your car or yourself is always a good way to identiy someone.

Great idea Des, so do you really look like Rik Mayall as a fictitious Pommy Prime Minister?