Update on WASABI the Crayford wagon.

More threads by GreaseMonkey

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Chris, don't think i've commented on how nice Wasabi is!!
You have a nice car too!! :D ;)

You gotta get some curtains for the back though... :cool:
Thanks, but ???
Curtains? Well maybe for those late drives down the beach, but my other idea of going into the funeral business has not gained much ground.
Do I need some flowers on the roof, or is it just the colour?
Chris

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Nah!!! I got it - he's going to make it into a WOODIE!!! :eek::eek: (Just kidding).
Regards,
BenzBoy
Not as mad as you think, my '27 Model T Ford is going to be just that.
I am working on it between Mercs.
Chris M.

SELfor50

Thanks, but ???
Curtains? Well maybe for those late drives down the beach, but my other idea of going into the funeral business has not gained much ground.
Do I need some flowers on the roof, or is it just the colour?
Chris

All good mate, just put flowers on the curtains.... have fold down seats, and a matress in the back. Surfboard on the roof.. and you got a grade a shaggin wagon! :cool:

You got a model T as well?? I'd like to see some pics of that!! :)

s class

I know that the cvar may not be its original colour, but I think wasabi-green is cool. I like it.

OzBenzHead

Master
I, too, suspect that blue one with the interior stripped out might be the one my friend Alfred bought from California and took to Germany - and is currently restoring. If so, it used to belong to the California Crayford Coachworks, run by the original "Mr Crayford" / David McMullan's sons. I have a photo of it with David McM beside it.

OzBenzHead

Master
Des: To the best of my (imperfect) knowledge there were made:

W116 wagons - 16 to 20 (some built by Crayford themselves, others built under licence at Hooper of California, Harper of Detroit, and by someone - whom I'm yet to determine - in Oz

W114 wagons - in excess of 400 (some built under Crayford direction at FLM Panelcraft of Fulham, UK; some made under licence at Cooper and Cooper of Johannesburg)

W114 extra-long (the 'Dachshund') - one only

W109 wagons - only one that I know of

C107 Condor - definitely one only.

They also did a convertible version of the W123 coupe - the St Tropez, and converted one W100 Grand 600 limo to a landaulet (to M-B's owns specs).

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Des: To the best of my (imperfect) knowledge there were made:

W116 wagons - 16 to 20 (some built by Crayford themselves, others built under licence at Hooper of California, Harper of Detroit, and by someone - whom I'm yet to determine - in Oz

W114 wagons - in excess of 400 (some built under Crayford direction at FLM Panelcraft of Fulham, UK; some made under licence at Cooper and Cooper of Johannesburg)

Are there any 114 wagons in Australia?
I don't ever recall seeing one.....:confused:

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Not seen any here either. Strange considering so many more were made than W116s. I was looking for a kid brother for Wasabi to play with.
Yes Alfred's car looks interesting and is the ex-McMullan car, but what was the other blue US spec 450SEL that was at Meilenwerk for resto last year and this, and recently photographed looking like new?
BTW Gordon, I'll get back to you tomorrow re photos, (I get off early Friday!),
how many do you want?
Chris

OzBenzHead

Master
[...] BTW Gordon, I'll get back to you tomorrow re photos, (I get off early Friday!),
how many do you want?
Chris
How many would you like to see on my site? :cool: No limit (well, probably not - I have heaps of storage and unlimited bandwidth in my hosting deal).

Captions and/or story would go well, too.

Cheers

G

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Yes, and thanks to Gordon for all the work he has done so far collating info on these. I am going through all my photos today and will update OBH so he can go live!
Hopefully, we can all spur him on to get Rolf back on the road, a long job sure, but it will be worth it.
Let's party,
Chris