#3 Povo update

More threads by oscar

oscar

Not much, just a big rev vid. Went for a bit of a spin too to warm up the fluids. I'm changing diff and MT oil plus engine oil.

I've gone all Castrol. Multitraxx for trans and diff supposed to be compatible with SAE 90 hypoid gear oil and Castrol Edge Sport full synth 10W-60 for the engine oil. I've been using full synth on the 350 for nearly a year now though I was using mobil1 they don't seem to have the wieght I'm after. IMO, despite the Castrol being heavier than the Mobil1 5-50 that was in there, the car smokes when accelerated and cold. Anyway, going to give the Castrol a chance on Povo.

BTW B13, did you give me this link to racing harnesses:cool: Not sure if you pointed them out or someone else but I stumbled across them today and couldn't quite walk away. HERE I want a set:D

Big Rev
Edit:Finally processed

Last edited:

B13

Go povo! Love the rotary-like smoothness at idle.....Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Never heard of Takata harnesses but they appear to be popular with drifters in Japan... Love the advertising but, well worthy of something they would come up with on the Gruen Transfer....

You may well find on Povo every setting is out a mile... timing, dwell, mixtures etc. due to irregular servicing or tuners with NFI. Jeez it must be tempting to chuck on the Holley and go for the same quick drive and big rev???

I.

SELfor50

"This is the extra wide strap version..."

You reckon they got the same 'harness model' modelling the 'Thin Strap' version?? :D :D

Sounding good there oscar!! I agree with Ian, probably ALL the timing settings are out.
It was a kiwi that owned it previously.....suprised I didn't attract a sheep instead of a kangaroo.. ;) seriously though, i reckon it hadn't been serviced properly cause the dude was a student and the boot was filled with half empty oil, power steering flulid and ATF?! fluid. So it was probably ad-hoc oil addition and that was it.

So does it feel better on take off too? Instead of coughing before getting going?

BTW: Have you fixed the sticky throttle??

OP
oscar

oscar

Oh F*&# ! The sticky throttle I haven't even looked at it yet, I keep forgetting. :rolleyes: It hasn't stuck on me yet but I'll lube everything tonight....... I promise;)

You reckon they got the same 'harness model' modelling the 'Thin Strap' version??
LMAO

Well this evening so far I've drained the engine and transmission and typically covered the floor with it. I swear one day I'll do an oil change without spillage. Engine oil was blackish but not unexpected. Doesn't take long to turn colour in these cars I reckon. However, i've taken the cam cover off as well and man she's lacquered up. No big drama, just not pretty is all.

The transmission however, it's oil was darker than coffee brown. Now I'm not sure what it would've been when that oil was put in there but the new stuff I put in is clear, almost like hydro sus fluid. Couldn't see any floaties in it, but it looked ####e.

The camshafts appear good. I'll put the feeler gauges above the tappets tonight too but unless there's some serious gaps, I'm going to leave them alone. It doesn't sound tappy (if that's the term). The idle is pretty good especially when warm and it picks up well though if I'm too aggressive, too quick to WOT, there can be a pop through the carby. Speaking of which, I'm not real tempted to change carby's yet. That kind of backfire in the Holley jams the choke butterfly and stalls the engine.

Lastly, like you guys suspected, the car's overdue for some TLC. The timing chain is also about 8deg out of whack. That's pretty much it's limit isn't it? Can't find any master link so I'm assuming it's original. Might be part of the cause of the fast WOT backfire?

BTW Cam, yeah definitely felt better. And the changes were more positive too. I was going to try and get out again tonight but it might be a bit late by the time I'm finished. Plus I might have another play with the steering alignment. It's too much toe out so that when I do a u-turn it wants to stay locked in a turn. As soon as I get it closer to being right (I will pay for a proper one soon), then I'll take it out a bit further for some decent speed and acceleration tests. Kind of did a 0-100 last night too which was a tad over 10sec. Pretty much on par with the 350.

SELfor50

Those twin thermo's look like great big nostrils, flaring... ;)

Glad to hear she's running nice!! Prob right on bout the timing chain... with a new one of those she'll regain a few more of those horsies as well.

Love seeing the progress of this beast Oscar, keep it comin!
Only 2 months.... ;)

OP
oscar

oscar

Hey, got another vid. Just a quickie but gee that motor sounds good.

The gear changes are good now after an oil change. I did about a 20km circuit but although the vid appears good and the sounds great:D the car does't feel right or tight. The steering's a bit loose and there's too many noises still. Anyway, can't really be sure until i get it to a pro to have the steering done and good tyres are going to be a bonus too but I need to get the undercarriage inspected.
I think there's a few bushes and mounts to replace.

s class

Thanks Oscar. When will we see number 11 stripes painted on your drive?

OP
oscar

oscar

:D Soon, very soon.

I'm still mothering it a little trying to find issues but hopefully povo will be ready for a start in Sept at the next sprint adorning all sorts of go faster decals and new paintjob.

SELfor50

Sounds f*kn great oscar!! And the gear changes seem quite quick and without any hesitation.. Love seeing the front dip, then raise up on the gear change.

Re the front end feeling 'loose'. Mine wasn't too bad, then i raced it several times.. (and ran off a few) and then it got really average.. But after getting all the bushings / ball joints / control arms etc etc etc done - it's un-####-believable the difference it makes. Still a slight knock in the steering - but that won't go until the steering box is reco'd / swapped. Look forward to seeing it in Sep!!!!

With the paint job.. you still gonna go all white? Or maybe contemplating a few stripes of some sort? With your spray gun skills developing i reckon you should give it a crack. If you don't get there, i know a krew that could do you a great 'day before you race' paintjob! :D ;)

How does the acceleration / gearing feel compared to the 350????

OP
oscar

oscar

I think I'm comparing the 350 and povo too much so far as I'm familiar with the 350 and haven't driven a good 280 before. Turd 280 I just couldn't get up to speed because the transmission was shot and the red 280 was good when revved but the thing that really makes them feel different is the diff ratio. There's nothing wrong with it, the gearing makes it feel grippy and there's a bit of a whine but no different to the red 280 and I only notice it when I first start off. I still have to change the diff oil tomorrow and will jack it up and feel for any play.

Another thing that makes it feel different is the OEM steering wheel. I haven't driven with an OEM wheel for so long that I'm used to the smaller 380mm wheels which povo will be getting as well soon. Acceleration feels really good and whilst it feels better than the 350 probably due to the sound and MT changes, it's on par for the 0-100 of 10sec approx.

Oh, the accelerator pedal. Although I gave everything a lube finally I did experience a click and resistance on return from WOT. It only happened a couple of times when I really stood on the pedal and it feels like it's coming from the knuckle universal type join on the back of the acclerator pedal. I'll investigate that too tomorrow and see if i need a new part. They're pretty cheap if it's the part I'm thinking of.

For paint I'm just gonna go white all over then use it as a base later. The enamel I put on has dulled a lot so now I'm going to still use the rest up so it all looks the same and then when the weather warms, do a prime coat then acrylic in a 70's style race scheme.:cool:

Though the thought of your krew doing it up is appealing too:cool: Hell, we're supposed to be a team, we should be wearing the same livery like the three Trik Trailers HQ's:D:D Imagine three w116's like yours lined up:D But I suppose it's back to that personal thing of three different approaches which is bringing interesting results.

IMGP4527.jpg

B13

LOL - if the three W116s were all painted and decaled in the same livery people would actually expect us to be fast and win stuff.... maybe save that plan for the future.

OP
oscar

oscar

.... maybe save that plan for the future.

True, as soon as someone like Bing Lee, Harvey Norman or Westfield wants to sponsor a 3 car effort in the upcoming planned National Formula W116 Series, then they can paint them all the same.:D

EDIT: On second thoughts, forget Big Lee etc. If you guys saw Gruen last night where they spoke of Run DMC and how they advertised addidas for free then asked addidas for $$$. Well I'm going to advertise Takata :D:D

Last edited:

s class

So then that was oscarette modelling the wide strap harness?

OP
oscar

oscar

Didn't get too much done on account of the 350 taking way too long to get the tappets adjusted unsuccessfully again, but I digress.

After the outing down the street last time I decided to get into the body work to get it over and done with. Povo is being stripped and sanded for a once over with an undercoat then the enamel white. A bit of filling here and there but nothing over the top. I've removed the tow bar as well, mud guards and started in and under the dash to take out the a/c hoses and of course started her up for another big rev.

Love the exhaust sound but there was a rattle which begged further investigation. All three exhaust brackets under the car need attention. The first one just needs tightening plus new donuts, the second one is missing with a rubber band in its place :( and the third one is held on by plastic ties.

I've noticed the steering has some freeplay but on closer inspection, the box is leaking and is covered with oil. This was cleaned and dry when I did the high pressure cleaning of the engine bay. I've got a spare or two and wasn't keen on replacing it but will have to.

I'm really not sure whether to put bumpers back on. I probably will, I just wish they were lighter.

p33mn1.jpg

p31bt9.jpg

p3fy5.jpg

p32nx5.jpg

p34nr5.jpg

p36fu1.jpg

p35ud9.jpg

Des

Dear Oscar

Love that M110 big rev sound, I have come to appreciate the sound from my own M1110 powered cars, although I don't get so hard on the CE as I do the S,
I must try my hand at video recording, strap the camera to the bumper and go for it.
:eek:

OP
oscar

oscar

I must try my hand at video recording, strap the camera to the bumper and go for it.

C'était un rendez-vous style. :D (yes I had to goggle the speeling):D

But a dashing run over the Tasman Bridge, through Hobart's city streets with nothing but a screaming M110 all that can be heard:D Who needs a Ferrari to provide sound.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
C'était un rendez-vous style. :D (yes I had to goggle the speeling):D

But a dashing run over the Tasman Bridge, through Hobart's city streets with nothing but a screaming M110 all that can be heard:D Who needs a Ferrari to provide sound.

Errrrrr.....:eek:

You guys forgot the hydro suspension of a 6.9 here..:rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Ah, but Michel. Hobart's roads are the smoooothest in all of Oz. No need to compensate for the cobble stones of the Champs-Élysées. :cool:

BOOM BOOM......

Point taken.... :eek: