CAI & Oel Catch Can for POVO

More threads by oscar

oscar

The plan for the track car is to eventually to go forced induction, be it supercharger or turbo I can't make up my mind and without the funds to go full steam ahead on the project there's no rush to make a choice so in the meantime I've wanted to setup some kind of scoop or ram tubes and cold air induction to reduce any vacuum leading to the carb or maybe even to produce a little positive pressure to the carb when travelling at speed. I haven't come up with a scoop solution yet but did finish off a CAI of sorts.

I bought a quality low profile carb hat/plenum, Spectre part number 98499, cast aluminium with polished finish, my first bling part in the engine bay 8) . The Solex carb was removed and the Holley 390 put back on. The Holley has a 5 1/8th" (13.02mm) neck whereas the Solex is larger at about 5 1/3" (13.5mm), so the plenum wont fit a Solex.

Stuck for parts to make up the piping between the pod filter and plenum I found the perfect solution by using 90mm stormwater PVC pipe and a 90[sup]o[/sup] elbow. With different angled elbows available there's plenty of scope to direct the intake anywhere but I kept it simple for the moment and just used one. Whilst there's no positive pressure for this setup yet, the cold air comes in via a rectangular hole I cut in the panel below the left headlight. I was going to delete that panel entirely but thought better not, for the moment.

Part of the CAI also needed to take into account the need to take fumes from the engine's breather. Needing an oel catch can I thought rather than buy a stainless steel one I'd use an early metal type SLS suspension reservoir. POVO had standard suspension ex factory so I grabbed the metal can off the red wreck and the bracket off the brown wreck. From what I understand metal v's plastic suspension reservoirs is a early v's late thing,ie pre and post '76. Just about all cars have the reservoir located behind the left headlight except d-jet and some carbed 280's that have theirs close to the LHS firewall. Not sure about some LHD 280's which would have the brake booster in the way. In any case, if the reservoir is near the firewall, the bracket is welded to the inner fender and can't be reused. Any front top cross member mounted reservoir will have a removeable bracket.

The rerservoir was emptied and cleaned then filled with steel wool then attachments added to the lid for the breather hoses. Copper pipe was soldered into the inlet attachment to try and make the fumes come into as much of the steel wool as possible. Also a decent cap and threaded plug for the drain was soldered in place. I wanted to solder the hose fittings to the reservoirs lid but couldn't and although they were attached tight, making the can air tight involved using RTV silicone around the fittings/lid joints.

The CAI and catch can had it's first test and proved to be a good combo. I can't really say if there was a power increase but apart from satisfying scrutineers, there were no leaks.

Lukas

Nice work. I take this has been driven already? Am asking because PVC pipe melts at a certain temp, but am unsure if the engine bay gets hot enough for that to happen.

TJ 450

It's quite an impressive setup.

I don't think melting would be too much of a potential problem here, as the exhaust manifold(s) are on the opposite side... BTW are they tri-y's?

If it was on a 6.9, melting would be an issue, as there is no escaping those huge cast iron manifolds!

Tim

OP
oscar

oscar

Interesting point Lukas. Yep the car got driven at Sandown, plenty of redline revving and 100+ temp in the coolant and no damage at all. Thing is, I did buy some black flexible 100mm drainage type PVC pipe from an engineering place that ended up being too small inside diameter, but the guy said be careful because the stuff melts at 100deg so it made me wonder. Like TJ says the exhaust is on the other side so the intake side is somewhat sheltered but after racing on Tuesday there's no hint of this 90mm stormwater pipe being affected by heat.

TJ tri Y's? Kind of. It's the old style two manifolds that meet in the middle, but not the w123 type. So 3 ports each exiting one outlet each. But then there's no Y after that. Instead Each manifold has it's own pipe but I've retained a common resonator and muffler. But two thru to the back gives a nice distinct sound:cool:

TJ 450

Oscar, that's pretty well what I meant. On the 114 we pulled apart recently, it had an additional Y-piece, so that there was one pipe through to the back, but two three-into-one manifolds.

I thought it looked like quite a neat design and that I though the fuel injected versions at least had more of a "log" type of arrangement.

Tim