Wilhelm Update

More threads by chrisp

chrisp

Hello all,

I thought I'd give you a brief update as to how Wilhelm is travelling right now (or rather, isn't travelling :(). I got the car back from the Star Shop after its unscheduled suspension overhaul and the good news is that side of things is now working nicely again. Many thanks to Styria for supplying a spare distribution valve - the old one is on its way over to you now.

A few days later I took the car for a brief run down the hill to Guildford and back and all was ok, though the engine was running pretty warm. Given the radiator has been re-cored in living memory, plus Styria's cleaning of the system when all the engine work was done, I am thinking it unlikely that the radiator could be blocked and hopeful a 75 deg C or 79 deg C thermostat might improve matters as I believe the car currently has an 87 (?) deg C one fitted. There is a small coolant leak coming from somewhere which I need to investigate too.

However, my biggest problem right now is that the alternator belt has decided to let go, pulling the power steering belts off in the process, so I am once more immobile, though grateful that this inconvenience should be rather simpler (and cheaper!) to fix than the suspension.

Some pictures are here:

http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt242/chrisp_album/Belts/

Regards to all,

Chris

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Chris, it's most unfortunate that you have struck all these problems with Wilhelm. It's funny, isn't it how there is always one thing that leads to another. I just wish that you'd still be in Sydney town ! Help would never be far away.

As a matter of interest, how do find the window regulator ? Did the mechanics have any trouble fitting it ? How well is it operating ? If you get a chance, please let us know. Regards Styria

OP
chrisp

chrisp

Hi Styria,

In the end the guys were able to source a secondhand window regulator and had fitted that by the time the new item arrived. So now I have a spare! If there is one thing I'm learning it's that building up an arsenal of spare parts will be worth it over time. :)

New v-belt was acquired from Repco today so I'll be working on the car this weekend and hopefully back on the road in no time. At $13.49 plus - no doubt - some missing skin, it's a cheap problem this time round.

Regards,

Chris

OP
chrisp

chrisp

Hi Bill,

Yes, the suspension is now all working nicely and I managed to get the old v-belts off and the two new power steering ones back on last Sunday before I ran out of light. This weekend I'll get those properly tensioned and get the alternator and air-con ones on, hopefully, and then I'm - finally - back in business. :)

Regards,

Chris

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Chris, are you going to do this job yourself, and at home ? With that front spoiler fitted, it will not be easy to replace the Air Compressor/External Pump belt all that easily as you will have to lift the front of the car to get to the adjustment pulley. As you would be aware, it is necessary to remove the alternator and Air Con. belts before you can put the two Power Steering belts into place. If I were you, I'd go for genuine Bosch or Conti belts, especially with the Power Steer units.

I'll also be very interested in how you tackle the adjustment for the Power Steer belts - it is not a 'walk in the park' - perhaps WGB (Bill) could advise you. Nice to know that your suspension is working well. BTW, regarding temperature of engine, you may wish to try a 79 degree thermostat. It could, or should help. Regards Styria