What colour for the Crayford wagon?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

Dilemma.
The old wagon is going to undergo a full strip and bare metal repaint next year, yes, I know, I will discover untold horrors and huge amounts of bog, but it's got to be done.
As most will know, it is an unknown shade of bright green and was originally Silver Green.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk272/Rev-Head_photos/M-B 280SE Crayford/CRAY2.jpg
Due to it's rarity I would like to restore it as close as possible to original, but I am not so keen on Silver Green, particularly with a light interior.
If it had a dark colour inside, or maybe even black it might be ok, but I am still not keen.
If I was ordering one new today, it would be Ikon Gold with black leather, but alas, they don't make 'em anymore!
Other greens from the period would look better, Citrus Green, Cypress Green etc. I think the darker shades would go better with the white trim.
Maybe even Petrol Blue like my old 280E parts car, but is that a later colour? Later than 1975 I mean?
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk272/Rev-Head_photos/Other M-B stuff/121208a.jpg
Here's the dilemma, I don't see many W116s in any greens and can't decide.
If anyone has any photos of any W116s in any shades of green they could post I would be grateful as it may help me to see what they look like.
The interior is not too bad, a couple of minor repairs to the seats and new headlining needed, plus a few little details, and then of course the carpet question.
Currently, it has what I believe to be the original carpets which are standard Mercedes off-white in the passenger area, with what I assume to be Crayford made olive green carpets in the rear. All are a bit dirty and worn so I would rather have them all replaced, preferably all in the same colour.
I don't think white is a great idea for the load area, so do I go dark green right through, or original M-B white in the front with separate over-mats made to match the green in the back?
Luckily most of the trim is good, the original roofrack will need replating if possible, if not I have a good W123 one I could adapt to fit, but again I would prefer to keep as close as possible to original.
So, the question is, all original, as is?
Another colour, preferably a Mercedes colour in period?
Another, maybe later Mercedes colour?
All opinions, photos, colour charts, suggestions etc gratefully received.
It will be a while until it is all done but I want to get it right.
Help,
Chris M.

Last edited:

116Benz

Citrus Green is a very...erm vivid dirty green, Cypress is a dark metallic (one of my fave colours on 116's) There was a colour chart showing actual cars with the colours on a German site, I dont remember it but im sure Gordon would know.

OzBenzHead

Master
Chris:

I originally though I'd do a complete re-colour, inside and out, of der Rolfwagen, because Maple Yellow was not particularly inspiring and the avocado interior (including carpets) was so dark that it felt like one was sitting inside a, well, an avocado.

Eventually I decided to stay with the original scheme because, well, it's original, and it's not as though I plan to drive it every day (whenever I do get around to giving it a new heart).

The reasoning behind my original decision to change colours was that because it was a customised car from the earliest days of its life, there was no harm in re-customising it.

I'm with you on the silver green and blond; it's a rather wussy colour combo.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Citrus Green is a very...erm vivid dirty green, Cypress is a dark metallic (one of my fave colours on 116's) There was a colour chart showing actual cars with the colours on a German site, I dont remember it but im sure Gordon would know.

I have this link, but the colours don't really come out right.
http://meinbenz.de/farben/116/farbcodes116.htm
They don't help much seeing how a car would look.
Chris M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I love Silver Green with Cream interior. :eek: Each to his own, I guess. There seems to be two versions of cream interior - one that is almost white and that is not on my agenda but the darker one is.
I agree with OBH that since it is a customised car you are free to choose the colour that you want. You are free to choose anyway and it MUST be a clour that you like, regardless of what the rest of us say here.
A car of the size of the Crayford would look wonderful in black with a tan or deep red interior. Of course, it's your money I'm spending here!!!!! :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I love Silver Green with Cream interior. :eek: Each to his own, I guess. There seems to be two versions of cream interior - one that is almost white and that is not on my agenda but the darker one is.
I agree with OBH that since it is a customised car you are free to choose the colour that you want. You are free to choose anyway and it MUST be a clour that you like, regardless of what the rest of us say here.
A car of the size of the Crayford would look wonderful in black with a tan or deep red interior. Of course, it's your money I'm spending here!!!!! :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Thanks mate.
I know what you, and Gordon, mean about it being a custom job from new etc, but I thought I should keep as close as possible to original.
Black is definitely out!
1 - I had a mint black W123 230E in England, lovely car, but the worst to keep clean.
2 - The worst colour for painting as it shows every ripple and ding, and given Crayford's craftsmanship and the acres of metal on this car, it could never be totally straight.
3 - People would take their hats off when I pass, if I wanted a hearse I would buy one.
The interior is nearly white, not cream, and that stays, so I need a colour that would go with that.
Citrus Green would be closest to what it is now, but I reckon Cypress Green or Pine Green would look ok?
And when did anyone last see a Citrus Green car? Very seventies, very rare.
Thanks for ideas so far, keep them coming.
Chris M.

s class

I sympathise totally. The silver green that your car originally was, plus the blue equivalent that trusty rusty is are tied my absolute least favourite colours. So I have a similar dilemma. I have convinced myself that a colour change is acceptable.

Petrol green was only from '79 I think.

I think citrus is just teriffic. I have it in mind as a possibility for my 280SE (which has black leather).

Pine green is an attractive darker option - but just be careful and browse around the meinbenz site, check also the samples on the 115's, 107's, 123's - more than any other colour, the samples for pine green are very inconsistent. If seriously considering pine, I would go have a half litre sample made up and test spray it to see what it really looks like.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I sympathise totally. The silver green that your car originally was, plus the blue equivalent that trusty rusty is are tied my absolute least favourite colours. So I have a similar dilemma. I have convinced myself that a colour change is acceptable.

Petrol green was only from '79 I think.

I think citrus is just teriffic. I have it in mind as a possibility for my 280SE (which has black leather).

Pine green is an attractive darker option - but just be careful and browse around the meinbenz site, check also the samples on the 115's, 107's, 123's - more than any other colour, the samples for pine green are very inconsistent. If seriously considering pine, I would go have a half litre sample made up and test spray it to see what it really looks like.

Thanks, I am leaning towards Pine Green but would like to see a real car in that colour.
I actually like Citrus Green, but I am not sure anyone else does, and when I am driving it looking out, it is the rest of the world that is faced with this weird colour.
It would be a brave man who painted something this big in Citrus Green.
Silver Green just looks like I have a bad cold!
Chris M.

116Benz

Citrus is a hard colour to describe, I dont mind it, but then I'm a child of the 70's so the likes of Cayenne Orange and Milan Brown are favourites. There was a Citrus 280E in Toowoomba a few years ago, the owner loved it as there wasnt another one like it in town.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Not being a child of the 70s, I don't share the passion for Citrus Green. My truly favourite colour for a W116 is pastel blue with white interior. There is an elderly lady nearby who drives a 350SE in this combination and to me it looks so wonderful... :eek: And that is all because as a little tacker our neighbours had a pale blue over white Customline that I adored. It was so much sharper than our boring black Cadillac and light green Holden FE...:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy
PS: why not Milan Brown?

Last edited:

E200K

What colour? How about silver? It's pretty rare to see a silver MB.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

What could be useful here I thought, not just for me, but for anyone considering a colour change, is a computer program that can change the colour of a picture at a click.
Does anyone know of such a program, (preferably a free download) that can load a jpg and if I select a solid area of colour on the photo it can change it?
Any ideas?
I know I could do a basic outline in something like windows paint program, but I would prefer a more realistic rendering.
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Why don't you do what I did...

Start with a green (preferably dark) you like...
Add 10-15 per cent white pearl and
Add 5-15 per cent silver (or gold) xyrallics.

What a concoction... it would be stunning;)

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I'll end up back where I am, Kermit-Wasabi f***ing green!
I am trying to be tasteful M-B Mr Sensible here, there must be a factory shade that will suit.
Anyway, what foreign airport are you dialling in from now?
Mr Bored-Of-Shanghai?
C.M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My green concoction would not be anything like the green you have now...
It would be dark and classy...

I also considered mentionning the R word, but wasn't quite sure how you'd take it...:p

In terms of location, I am back in God's country... Landed this morning :D

I'll end up back where I am, Kermit-Wasabi f***ing green!
I am trying to be tasteful M-B Mr Sensible here, there must be a factory shade that will suit.
Anyway, what foreign airport are you dialling in from now?
Mr Bored-Of-Shanghai?
C.M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Ohhhhhhhhhh Professor.......
Have I got a colour for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu;)

Can you do the same with Black?
I'm thinking PII here.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ohhhhhhhhhh Professor.......
Have I got a colour for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu;)

Well? Come on!!! Tell - or is it a secret until the Beast is unveiled?
At the moment I am in the middle of organising a Phantoms Day Out for late autumn. Gives you time to buy one and get it in order but you will need to hurry. Just wait until you feel my steering - you'll be in love with it and want one. ;)
Regards,
Benz-Boy