Red Bull (5541)

More threads by Oversize

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I bet an F1 team would know the answer! Anyone got the number for Red Bull??.... hang on a sec.... (!) :p;):D

Perhaps the key is the optimum Ib/in2? But I'm tipping even that'd depend on several variables; one of them being rubber compound....

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Despite the fact it was freezing last night and I had to battle the wildlife for occupation of the shed, I did actually manage to re-commence my inspection! :) I'm at the rear axle now and shortly I'll have a plan of what to tackle first.... But even before I'm quite done, I'd suggest it'll go something like this:

Suspension struts n cells,
Sunroof,
Doors x 2,
Rust,
Seat springs & upholstery.

Then I'll be pulling the engine and trans to fix various oil leaks, hoses, engine mounts etc. I may even take the opportunity to get some extractors fabricated.

Styria I'll be needing your services and contacts shortly.... :)

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Any suggestions on what I should look at while the engine and trans are out??? :rolleyes:

Tony66_au

A big empty engine bay?

Id be checking front end and brakes especially the brake hoses if the car has sat still for a while, Hoses and vacuum lines also bear a look and a new set of engine mounts wont go astray either.

Basically id do all those jobs you cant normally do with the engine in place mate, subframe mounts etc

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Anything on the firewall that normally you would have trouble viewing or accessing.

The sway bar mounts on the firewall have a tendency to get rusty, :eek:

WGB

Whatever you do - check and probably change the chassis sway bar mounts, especially if you have the brake booster out to get at the driver's one.

Check all hydraulic and brake lines, all visible vacuum lines and the state of the firewall itself.

Look closely at the top inner wishbone mounting point.

There is a ledge under the wheelarch which can trap dirt so that it can rust right through into the inner side of the mount.

If it needs welding and painting is much easier with the engine out.

This was the usual MOT terminal fail point for UK 116's as it was considered not economically repairable - nothing to us guys esp with the engine out.

Bill

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Something is happening at the end of the week.... ;):cool::)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
And you still remember that rumbling sound . :D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, do you still have that car ? If so, any progress. Look, I have not spent a lot of time on TK for various reasons, so I am not up to date with the latest. Is there any chance of getting an update on your fleet ? Really would love to know. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Sadly I didn’t even get a chance to wash her before the big move!!
86ED13AF-6BEC-42DD-8A5C-E8AD91225305.jpeg56794992-4E97-4A2A-AE21-C88E440C8049.jpegB3DF9D62-6F76-4BDB-BAF5-85E9B3224410.jpegF766A14A-93B6-48A4-B4F1-93F428906C2F.jpeg093B2989-3B0A-4B3D-B904-DF9FF568CF2D.jpeg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Still looks good.
Mercedes still sell the centre caps for these wheels if you don't have them, even with pre-merger AMG logo.
Oh that’s interesting! I did buy a set a while back & they’re sitting inside the car now... I’ll give her a proper wash & put them on!

Styria

The Godfather
I should take my own advice and not take pics with things 'growing' out of the roof!! After another wash she looks tough! :D

View attachment 18243
You could still put at least one, if not two, flags on it ! Regards Styria BTW, have you still got that car - it looks just so good.
Hi Mark, it would seem obvious that you have changed tack by turning your attention to Red Bull, and away from Blue Flame, presumably on account of the chassis cracks you discovered in the later. As WGB says, you have a good starting point, even with both cars, although I must admit to having more of a liking for the red car. It just seems nice, notwithstanding the somewhat deteriorated state of part of the underside.

It's from hereon that the car(s) will start to cost you money, but how much will depend on the standard you would want to attain. Good luck with your project(s) and, may I add in passing or closing.....I have forgotten what I was going to add ! Regards Styria :eek:

N.B. I have just remembered - thanks for your detailed posts and photographs - one thousand just a deep breath away.
On reflection today, all words of wisdom. Do you still have that car and any progress on it ? Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm hoping to have her back on the road for the MBCV W116 50th Jubilee which will be held on 27th November 2022. Wish me luck 'cause I'll need it!😬