New Shoes and socks for the RED Terror

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well, I finally did it

I found what in my very humble opinion are befitting chrome wheels and tyres for the 690SEL

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
I know you've been hankering for some striking, and unusual, rims for a while,
and I must say that you have found them at long last. In my view, nice rims, a bit like shiny shoes, can make or certainly enhance the overall appearance of a car - well, the shoes don't, do they, but you guys would appreciate what I am talking about.

This should give you encouragement, or a new lease of life, after I've had your Red Terror for such a long time with my 6.9 being in hospital. Still is, BTW, but not for much longer. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Very nice indeed Michel! Wheels are a very difficult choice and the range is somewhat limited due to the MB stud pattern. What brand are the tyres & what size? Are they noisy & what's the grip like? Is there some trim missing from around the water channel & rear screen? Looks like you have a different steering wheel; do you have trouble seeing the speedo?

I wish the paint on mine was as good. Your post is making me feel more enthusiastic about getting mine on the road & I'm happy to say have some holidays at the end of the week.... :D

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thank you Godfather..

You had already seen them but not on the car.

Mark,

I bought them off eBay a few weeks ago from Victoria.
I just fitted them yesterday and hevan't been able to go anywhere as we are still in the process of replacing the sunroof (thank you Godfather).

We took the opportunity to repair and repaint the roof at the same time hence the lack of deflectors.

I've had this smaller (but oh so nice) Italovolanti steering wheel for a long time.
Yes, it buggers the view but you learn to live with it.

dash.jpg

I hope you do get the car(s) back on the road. Nothing like a nice drive to make you love them more!

Tony66_au

Wow, its certainly different and not bad at all.

Are they 17" or 19", I ask because the huge wheel arches on the 116's can make wheel size a bit deceptive.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The wheels are 18inches diametre and the tyres are Marangoni (made in Italy) 225x35 zr18

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Michel, something worth considering is the fact that those tyres have a rolling diameter 43mm smaller than standard. Effectively your speedo will read higher than actual speed. Even worse they may not comply with your state regs. However she'll be quicker off the mark!!! :D

I wouldn't consider anything larger than 18s on a W116 as handling may be too harsh, they're easier to damage, the tyre load ratings may be too low and I think the tyre / rim proportion just doesn't look right. But that's just me...

Oversize

Grand Master
Nice tiller by the way! I wonder if the W126 steering column has adjustable tilt & reach and could be installed into a W116? It might solve the inability to see the speedo (apart from going back to the standard wheel).... But then again leaving it as it is means you don't need to worry about speedo accuracy cause you can't see it anyway!!! :D

It might be worth mentioning that having undersize tyres fitted might have an effect on your insurance policy... :eek:

WiSeGuYY

Hi MICHEL , I love the RED she is jewel with the nice boots and i like the steering wheel but i never heard of the tyres make before , i don't think it exist here in egypt , please if you have more info ,i would love to have it.

P.S i love the MICHEL plate too , also luxury we don't have here.

REGARDS

TAREK

Oversize

Grand Master
Michel it might be a good idea to check the load rating on your tyres, as the the info I have suggests they could be as low as 83. On a 6.9 they should be at least 97. Recently I've seen many tyres split the sidewalls and it's sometimes hard to pick up at a glance. One was on the inner sidewalls only and it'd only be a matter of time before they went bang!! :eek::eek:

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks Mark,

I have a feeling I already did, but will double check when I get to work.

Will post the findings.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What I could see was 225/35 ZR18 (87Y)
Treadwear 280 Traction AA Temperature A
Max load 545Kg at 51 PSI
61EM 2206

Is that enough for you to decipher?:D

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
The 6.9 placard specifies the max load rating of the tyres should be 1610lbs. That equates to 730kg each.

On a basic level, if the car weighed 2420kg (gross) and that's divided by 4 (as it's supported by 4 tyres), that's 605kg each tyre if the cars' fully loaded to it's maximum Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). However, the manual also provides extra information: the maximum front axle load is 1245kg (divided by the 2 front tyres makes 623kg ea) and the rear is 1175kg (588kg ea). The front is higher than the back probably due to the weight of the engine etc.

The difference between the maximum placard load and the maximum load calculated from the GVM, is the safety margin. Trouble is the standards in Victoria require the placard requirements to be met and even though it's not unsafe (unless the vehicle is overloaded), it still remains a compliance issue and in a collision your insurance may not honour a claim. If your tyres don't comply then I'd be going back to the supplier with your receipt and asking why they supplied tyres that aren't legal. I'm sure they'll make things right if they want to stay in business....

I'd also be wondering what the maximum load capacity of the tyres would be for pressures below what was specified (51PSI). You'd probably be only running on 36PSI (or thereabouts), for ride comfort and as a result the load rating would be way down; perhaps to a point where it could be dangerous?

'Y' relates to a speed rating of 300kmh. The minimum in Victoria (for anything other than a retread), is 'S' which equates to 180kmh, or the vehicle's top speed (whichever is the lesser).

Interesting is the fact that load capacity reduces as the speed increases. On a speed rating of V the capacity drops over 210kmh, W drops over 240kmh and Y drops over 270kmh.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I have 2.35.40.18 Nankangs on Gleaming Beauty. I will check the various specifications that are on the tyres. I did raise the matter of legality with Shannons, my Insurers, and they stated that as long as a reputable tyre business fitted the wheels and tyres, there would be no problems in the event of a claim.

Gleaming Beauty will soon front up to Shannons for an inspection and assessment of a suitable Sum Insured under the terms of my Policy. It will be the opportunity to sort out this situation once and for all. Presently, the Insurer has been notified of the non-standard rims and tyres. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What can I say Mark?

You are a wealth of information.

The Red Terror never goes past 180km/h.
It hardly carried more than one passenger.

I guess I am safe..:p

260ebenz

Master
Got room for one more passenger in Red Terror Michel would like a drive in the 6.9 or even the SL AMG please?

Perhaps this years Concours will be a good oppurtunity for a drive in either car?

In return you could take the 260E for a drive if I still have the car in September.

Cheers.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Got room for one more passenger in Red Terror Michel would like a drive in the 6.9 or even the SL AMG please?
Perhaps this years Concours will be a good oppurtunity for a drive in either car?
In return you could take the 260E for a drive if I still have the car in September.
Cheers.

You're always welcome for a spin Tim...;)

260ebenz

Master
Terrific Michel thank you!

Exicted now going to drive Mat Kean's C250 CGI and Michel's Mercedes bring on September!
:D