Red Bull (5541)

More threads by Oversize

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Unfortunately I’ll be selling Red Bull after these repairs. I’m keeping the Pentas, so I’m wondering if I should sell her with Bundts, or other AMG wheels I have in stock?

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Unfortunately I’ll be selling Red Bull after these repairs. I’m keeping the Pentas, so I’m wondering if I should sell her with Bundts, or other AMG wheels I have in stock?
If they are genuine period correct AMGs then that might work, but if they are more modern, I think you get more for Mercedes when they are stock and unmodified.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I tend to agree. It seems even period correct AMG wheels aren't to everyone's taste and fitting them can limit the market somewhat. I thought about some 16" Aeros, however they are post-merger and therefore NQR. So I'll be fitting the nice set of Bundts that are currently fitted to Moby.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Latest pix. I have to drill out & helicoil two bolt holes since they were butchered by someone else (at least the broken bolts have been removed now).

IMG_7657.jpegIMG_7658.jpegIMG_7659.jpegIMG_7660.jpegIMG_7662.jpegIMG_7663.jpegIMG_7661.jpegIMG_7665.jpeg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I’m about to purchase a tap & die set to chase n clean all threads. I’m wondering if all bolts should be replated & not just cleaned prior to reassembly? I’m not keen on them re-corroding, seizing & snapping again in the future…

I've no experience of this exact job but in a situation where your (m100, right?) heads and manifold are actually quite valuable I'd be strongly favouring:
A) avoiding any chance of a shanked bolt corroding and damaging the hole in the manifold, especially cracking it or pitting the sealing surface: get new bolts.
B) minimising the wear on those threads in the heads to maximise the heads' lives. Without necessarily going to the extreme of fitting hardened thread inserts (e.g. Time Sert is a US brand I've heard of and very popular in the bmw crowd over there), and given that studs aren't an option - I assume, the manifold holes aren't oval are they? : consider brass bolts or aluminium. Be sure to look up electrolytic compatibility before going brass but my point is there's no boost to worry about so the fastners needn't be stronger than gasket torque, so get softer ones than the female thread.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I might be able to get some new bolts. One of the threads has been damaged so much I may have to double helicoil that one!! Ie an oversized helicoil before the correct size is inserted

Yes I might be able to get some new bolts. One of the threads has been damaged so much I may have to double helicoil that one!! Ie an oversized helicoil before the correct size is inserted

No personal experience but advantage vs helicoil is supposedly the solid structure of the timesert vs the spiral of the helicoil. In the situation you mention I wouldn't be keen on a coil inside a coil...

The bmw reputation I mentioned is tied to turbocharging the m54 series naturally aspirated sixes, where pulling the head stud threads out of the block is a known risk above 8psi. Time serts seem to hold up against 14psi and up, and there are serious lads playing in the 7-800hp zone from 3 litres displacement... (probably e85 though)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, difficult to say if new bolts (e.g. head bolts) are actually available from Mercedes. I would imagine, however, if they are they are likely to cost an arm and a leg. I have carried out two Valve Grind and De-coke jobs now just on at least ten years ago, and I can report that, to all intents and purposes, I have had no need to purchase replacement bolts. Whilst one of the cars is no longer in my possession, Gleaming Beauty the subject of one of the jobs, is still in my possession. Up to now, and as I said at least ten years (with plenty of pictorial evidence on TK published at the time), I have not had a single drop of oil or water as a result of the particular job.

I still have many head bolts for both the 6.3 and 6.9 M100 engines, but knowing which are which I am not able to differentiate. However, they are spares I have on hand. BTW, I see that you still have this car. I had been under the impression that you had sold it, but maybe I am missing something.......Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I did sell it but agreed to help the new owner get it running. I’ll have to audit what bolts can be reused & what must be replaced

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
This definitely looks more promising that a helicoil repair esp their ‘big-sert’ option..

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Threads were eventually repaired by The Thread Dr who was good value for money when compared with the cost of the Bigsert kit ($600ish delivered)!

EGR pipe has been removed, cut down & capped. Now I just have to clean up the fasteners, order a few more items & reassemble…

image000000.jpeg