Next RR for Benz-Boy

More threads by Anthony 350 sl

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes. It could be good for parts......;)
I do have my eye on another Rolls-Royce and have made an offer which has been rejected on the grounds the owner does not want yet to sell. However, when he gets the bill for his engine rebuild he will see the sense of my offer...:cool:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

abl567

Super Moderator
Tell him to put a small block chev in it, tub it and chase 17 sec quarters:D

abl567

Super Moderator
I was thinking that spur, the damage is already done. In a PHANTOM????? god forbid.
Tub it? wheel tubs for wide slicks. I used to sublet part of my factory to a chap that built top doorslammer drag cars and top fuel cars, interesting big money stuff, way above Phantom money.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I was thinking that spur, the damage is already done. In a PHANTOM????? god forbid.
Tub it? wheel tubs for wide slicks. I used to sublet part of my factory to a chap that built top doorslammer drag cars and top fuel cars, interesting big money stuff, way above Phantom money.
A restored Phantom Continental in Pebble Beach condition commands about $AUD2M even inthe present depressed economy....
Tub it (Oh God; I actually used the term) and you loose value.....could be fun though...:p
Regards,
Benz-Boy

abl567

Super Moderator
I'd be concerned about the aerodynamics of a Phantom at over 200mph:(

BenzBoy

Grand Master

Styria

The Godfather
They still exist? I thought the NSW police took care of that problem for the benifit of man kind:eek:

No, they didn't get the chance - they blew up too quickly, or so the story goes.I also heard (A LONG TIME AGO - see, memory still works !) that when the Police used Valiant Chargers, if I remember correctly, the oil pumps were of insufficient capacity to respond to high revs when engines were cold. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Anthony350SL, I reckon that both cars are rather nice and quite reasonably priced - well, in the overall scheme of things. I particularly like the upholstery in the Surfers Rolls Royce - beautifully done, whereas the other car's seats, particularly the fronts, show quite a bit of wear and tear.

BTW, you comin' to the topklasse concours/barbecue - hope you can make it with your 350SL - also, are you a member of the NSW Club ? Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
'Michel' type words... :confused:

Judging by his avatar, the prince of arabia is NOT pleased - you are advised to take umbrage ! :D Regards Styria

N.B. BenzBoy, the book might be under lock and key - but, HONESTLY, what is the maximum speed that you have pushed the old girl up to ? Surely not 100mph ? Regards Styria (fearful of imminent reprimand). ;)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Judging by his avatar, the prince of arabia is NOT pleased - you are advised to take umbrage ! :D Regards Styria

N.B. BenzBoy, the book might be under lock and key - but, HONESTLY, what is the maximum speed that you have pushed the old girl up to ? Surely not 100mph ? Regards Styria (fearful of imminent reprimand). ;)
Certainly NOT 100 mph. The PII is 75 years old and largely original apart from a scungy re-paint in the 1960s and a re-trim of the upholstery some time around then. Many of the nicer trim bits were not put back at that stage and live in a box in my garage awaiting repair and replacement.
On the Winter Solstice Rally I organised to Bowral in June this year, I had it up to 70 mph on the freeway and it cruised nicely but the motor is old and such speeds are not to be sustained for long. I normally keep it at 55 - 60 mph under those conditions. In 2010 we begin the Great Rebuild of the engine and I would imagine that after that some serious speeds will be possible. However, puling up a carriage that weighs nearly 3 tonnes with servo-assisted drum brakes is an interesting task in concentration and muscle power...
It is nice to have the original output curves taken on Royce's rolling road for comparison purposes when the rebuild is complete.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
A

Anthony 350 sl

I reckon that both cars are rather nice and quite reasonably priced - well, in the overall scheme of things. I particularly like the upholstery in the Surfers Rolls Royce - beautifully done

With the utmost respect Mr Corleon, you can,t tell me that you like the Surfers Rolls Royce. I only listed as to wind up BB (whose Rolls I drool over...the Spirit not Phantom; though I am yet to see it in the flesh) It is sacrilegious what they have done to that car.

BTW, you comin' to the topklasse concours/barbecue - hope you can make it with your 350SL - also, are you a member of the NSW Club ?

Would love to come to the topklasse concours/barbecue however cannot make any firm commitment at this stage. I am not a member of the NSW club however I am hoping to get there on Sunday. I had better go wash the car.