My old Rover P4 105

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Wow.
An old pic in an old sticky photo album.
Great memories
Well yes, Patrick. Great memories, beautiful car, nice romantic interludes that I won't elaborate on. As with everything that I do, rightly or wrongly, has some story attached to it. Can't beat old age for reminiscing because, believe it or not, the younger ones, even my oldest son who is now approaching FIVE O, at times hasn't got a clue as to what I am talking about. I am sure others on the forum, if they are decrepids like me (pardon the description, I think it's funny) would be able to relate similar sentiments.

Now, this 105 - 1959, a very rare model. It wasn't a 105S, nor a 105R (the Automatic that lasted a year) but simply a 105 with body (chrome strips) embellishments as the 100 which was the next model. the 105 had twin SU carbies four with overdrive, same grille as the Rover 100 but still the early style side valve gear without the roller rockers and a five main bearing crankshaft. I bought a 105 at the Canberra auction some two and a half years ago, paid the princely sum of $50.00 as it had, surprisingly an overdrive, but it sported a gutted interior- it was so bad, it wasn't funny. In the end, I left that car in the hands of the auctioneers. Too much of a millstone around my neck as much as I would like another P4. The interior of any Rover is an expensive cost, and that certainly influenced my decision in forfeiting the fifty bucks.

I'll just take a quick break - rest those fat little fingers of mine and make peace with the one who matters (the most).

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Great memories, beautiful car, nice romantic interludes that I won't elaborate on.
Pity, that would have been quite interesting in these days of lockdowns. :rolleyes:

sean sherry

Master
Well yes, Patrick. Great memories, beautiful car, nice romantic interludes that I won't elaborate on. As with everything that I do, rightly or wrongly, has some story attached to it. Can't beat old age for reminiscing because, believe it or not, the younger ones, even my oldest son who is now approaching FIVE O, at times hasn't got a clue as to what I am talking about. I am sure others on the forum, if they are decrepids like me (pardon the description, I think it's funny) would be able to relate similar sentiments.

Now, this 105 - 1959, a very rare model. It wasn't a 105S, nor a 105R (the Automatic that lasted a year) but simply a 105 with body (chrome strips) embellishments as the 100 which was the next model. the 105 had twin SU carbies four with overdrive, same grille as the Rover 100 but still the early style side valve gear without the roller rockers and a five main bearing crankshaft. I bought a 95 at the Canberra auction some two and a half years ago, paid the princely sum of $50.00 as it had, surprisingly an overdrive, but it sported a gutted interior- it was so bad, it wasn't funny. In the end, I left that car in the hands of the auctioneers. Too much of a millstone around my neck as much as I would like another P4. The interior of any Rover is an expensive cost, and that certainly influenced my decision in forfeiting the fifty bucks.

I'll just take a quick break - rest those fat little fingers of mine and make peace with the one who matters (the most).
I'm with you there Michael. Memories are part of our make up .. who we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The car didn't sport the two tone livery when I bought it. It was about fifty years ago when I saw it advertised in the Saturday edition of the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH). In those days, all cars were advertised in the SMH plus, in addition, a well credentialed Dealer by the name of R.C. Phillips was the one to go to if you wanted a P4. At that time, the 100 reigned supreme. Anyway, back to the 105. The owner's name was D. J. Fakes (Don), an absolute gentleman (just as well no longer with us) and he was over the moon to find that a young 'nik' like me should be so interested and be prepared to right the wrongs in the car. You know, "this is not right, that needs doing" and all those assessments had to be brought up to ensure a reasonably attractive buy as far as the final purchase price was concerned. I think it finished up $650.00 plus the genuine Workshop Manual that he proudly offered as part of the sale.

Really, I felt a bit of a heel with the bargaining process, but those guilt feelings soon went out the driver's window when I realized how beautifully the car drove. It had to be worth at least $1200.00 I figured and, lo and behold, in it went into the SMH the following Saturday at that price. Soon I had a couple of calls, and one in particular was fairly searching regarding condition etc. Well, it was great, nice car, not a cent to spend, yes Michael Parker, this is Don Fakes and you are.......forgotten what he called me, but it wasn't a bunch of compliments. Anyway, the episode got to me (as a rule I do have some principles) and I decided to keep it - which was for the next two and a half to three years. Even in those days, I wanted something a bit different, and decided to get the car repainted in Slate/Grey roof and part of body, and Admiralty Blue, a colour combination that had hitherto not been seen as a rule. I was one of the first !

I therefore decided to entrust the complete respray to Grenville Motors, who were the Rover Importers in those days with the Service Section in Rushcutters Bay and the Panel Beating/Body Shop at Milsons Point - under the northern approaches to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I had gotten to know the foreman that was running the shop and I approached him with the job and get a quote. From memory, I did a fair bit of the trim dismantling, and Vic (May) the foreman quoted me, wait for it, $170.00 all up, and that included painting the rims in the Blue body colour. It was a perfect job, the car was always much admired and, eventually, a Police Officer living in Berowra, made me an offer of $2000.00 which I accepted.

It was a great car on the open road. In those days, you had the toll gates at Berowra on the first part of the M1, and when taking off from the tollgates, 2nd (never first), 3rd, 4th and Overdrive - and the car was just so happy to settle at 60 to 80 miles an hour - totally effortless. In those days, I would keep a speed log starting from Macksville, and over the first four hours I would record 44, 42, 44 and 51 miles in the hour. In comparison, some years later, the Rover 3litre P5 again Manual with O/D, would add an extra four miles to each hour. Hope you guys find this little anecdote of interest. Regards Styria
Pity, that would have been quite interesting in these days of lockdowns. :rolleyes:
Well, I would spend a fair bit of time in the Newcastle Area, usually in the company of some nice females, and Fingal Bay Beach, with all its moguls and a sand bar separating the Beach in two at low tide, was an absolutely wonderful beach. There were a few others as well........BTW, it's not Moguls, but I just can't recall what those continuous little hills of sand are called. You could be fifteen meters behind another person, but you wouldn't be able to see them.