Rover 3500S Rebuild

Styria

The Godfather
For many years, except for the last ten to twelve or so, I have owned a Rover 3500S. Unlike Automatics, the Series 2 P6B's with manual transmission were fully imported from England. The Automatics with either BW35 or BW 65 (later models) were sent to New Zealand in CKD form, and fully assembled prior to shipping to this country. There were additional colour and trim changes but really not a lot was changed to the NZ cars. The 'S' models were all fitted with four speed manual gearboxes (except North America) that had its origins in the four cylinder Rover 2000s.

There were in total, and over a period of time, four 'S' models in the family, 1973 (2) and 1974 (1), and 1976 (1) with the Leyland P76 4.4 litre engine. The 1974 model was purchased in about 1978(79) and was used for several years as a family run-about. Mainly driven by my ex-wife, it developed difficult to trace shifting piston liner issues, and it was put aside for "later" recommissioning. One of the 1973 models was presented to my oldest son as a 21st birthday present, and he used it for a number of years until he moved up the 'social ladder' and the car became also a candidate for recommissioning. Alas, changes in circumstances meant that those two cars did not receive the recommissioning treatment, although fully intended otherwise. It is only in the last twelve months that they were taken to the crusher with terminal rust issues. I am sorry to say, but I have no photos of those two cars - sorry, I do of the first one, taken thirty years ago when I had started restoring the 1974 model. Will find this photo in due course. The 1976 model with the 4.4 litre engine became a fire casualty as a result of leaking petrol and ignition spark, and was taken illegal possession of by the Insurance Company. That then left the 1973 model in Almond colour, brown poor state leather upholstery, and a sliding Webasto Sunroof as one of its attractions. This last named 'S' is the primary source of events leading up to the purpose of this thread, but I have full intentions to go back to the others, possibly as part of this thread, or maybe as a separate entity altogether. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The Almond coloured 3500S was in reasonably poor condition at time of purchase, but it was the sliding roof that was the basis of its attraction. I am not sure after what period of time I managed to procure an Auto Almond coloured car with excellent body panels paintwise, and it then became a matter of stripping the 'S' model of its panels, and I replaced them from the donor car. I also decided to replace its engine with a rebuilt unit that I had assembled, and I also fitted a five speed Rover manufactured five speed box. It to some extent transformed the car's mechanical appeal to a considerable degree. I was never really interested in a five speed Celica or Supra box - probably suitable in most respects, but the five speed top gearing is shorter 22.5 mph) than even the standard four speed Rover box 24.5 mph). With the Rover five speeder, 27.5 mph was the new 1000 rpm in top gear.

I then had Parks fit up a new leather interior, colour coded (if you know what I mean), and all of a sudden it became an absolute "stand-out" car, greatly admired and commented upon from time to time. I achieved outright honours at the Baulkham Hills Flower festival, with my Gleaming Beauty coming in third outright. That was in 1998. Probably five years later, I was involved in an accident, ploughing into the side of a Toyota whose driver had failed to give way. The car was written off on "Third Party" basis, with the Insurance Company eventually paying me $9K. when the accepted norm was about $4.5. Such was the condition of the car. They also provided me with the salvage of the car, meaning that I was able to retain all undamaged body panels, complete interior and mechanicals - in other words, the whole car. Whatever of value I could salvage from the car I kept for "future" reference, but the body became scrap and was sold on to Metal Recyclers. However, I swore to myself that one day I would re-create that car. It took some time. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It was in November, 2016 that I purchased the hereunder pictured 3500S from what became known as the Flynn Auction. About 140 Rovers, all in driveable condition. It was just about the last 3500S that came up, and I really had to do something as there were probably three or four others that I had not bid on, and I was getting to the stage where I was going to miss out altogether, including at least two that were in my preferred Almond colour that had been sold for more than this white 'S' finished up costing. I was really disappointed initially, but it drove perfectly well all the way back to Sydney. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The white 'S' now at Glenorie waiting for further concrete development.
IMG20171002124410.jpg

Initially, I was disappointed with the car. It drove well enough back from the Canberra region, but body and paint wise it left a lot to be desired. However, I was determined to proceed. Some twelve years ago, I had a complete set of panels sprayed in Sky Blue, 14 in total and they were meant to be used on the previously mentioned 1974 model that finally rusted out. The four doors, rear guards and boot lid were disposed of, with the balance of the panels being stored in the workshop.

On advice of a local spray painter and my paint supplier, I was advised that those panels that had been resprayed in 2 pack all of those years ago, could be repainted fairly easily on the proviso that a vigorous application of soft Scotch Brite would be suitable prior to fresh paint being applied.

IMG20180105093012.jpg

IMG20180105093029.jpg

IMG20180105093245.jpg

IMG20180105093340.jpg

IMG20180212113552.jpg

IMG20180212113601.jpg

IMG20180212113618.jpg

IMG20180212113629.jpg

I am having some issues with transferring the photos, and I will endeavour to rectify that. In the meantime, however, please find some panels that were repainted locally for ease of convenience. To be honest, I am more than pleased with the end result. Thus I now have four doors and the bootlid from the original car that was handed back to me by the Insurance Company. The repainted panels consist now of bonnet, two front guards, front apron, front and rear screen panels, two rear guards and two sill panels that I painted myself in an original Crème (Ford) colour. More details to come. Post Image a bit tricky. Regards Styria

Last edited by a moderator:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Looks great Styria. I'm sure with all the parts from the wrecked car you will turn that cheap flynn 3500S into something really nice. Please keep the updates coming.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks for your encouragement C107. No photo yet, but I have removed all body panels from the white car, and it now remains to remove door rubbers and sundry items so that the door apertures can be painted. I will do that myself to keep costs at a reasonable level. Having already prepared and painted the sill panels, which came up well, I am confident in my ability to apply the same careful painting process to the body of the car. With luck from a Post Image point of view, here are some further pics of work carried out so far.

IMG20180212113601.jpg

IMG20180105092130.jpg

IMG20180105093119.jpg

IMG20180105093139.jpg

IMG20180105093313.jpg

IMG20180122100732.jpg

IMG20180122100739.jpg

The cream sill panels I prepared myself, and painted, in Clear Over Base, with a pleasing result. Dust I managed to keep to a minimum, but whatever there is, a slight scuff and machine buff will make those panels just about perfect. In my opinion, the secret is to wait and let the paint harden before working it. In one of the pics you will also find one of the rear seat cushions that came out of the salvaged Almond 3500S. Note the quality of finish, such as can be seen, and obviously all seats were upholstered in Schmitt Wallsdorf Crème leather - all the way from Austria. There is also a picture of my P5 Mark III Coupe that is being restored, another pic. showing slight damage to one of the rear guards which Parks repaired for me, plus numerous hubcaps showing modified paint applications etc. More to come in due course as I will need to locate some photos. Regards Styria

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Re: The Rover P5/P5B

Well, I have found the 300 Finnie, but it is in company with two Rover 3500S models that I mentioned in my 'restoring my Rover 3500S. That 300 Finnie - I had it for seven years and 100,000 miles. Absolutely wonderful family car, self levelling suspension, and an engine that started being happy from seventy miles upwards. I paid $2450.00 from an advertised price of $3300.00 by an owner who needed to sell in a hurry, and I sold it,as a non-runner, for $5800.00. At one stage, I believe, there was one registered 300SEL in the whole of Germany.

Rosses_6.9_055.jpg

Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Re: The Rover P5/P5B

Checking Post Image.
old_car_pics_No._1.jpg

This quartet of photos show Gleaming Beauty as when first bought - dark blue painted by the previous owner, but I fitted the replacement rims after purchase. Those rims< incidentally, were sold to the owner of a Milan Brown 450SE that is presently on ebay with one of the bidders being, I suspect, Michel. It is located on the Central Coast.

A second photo was taken at a Concord Bay (its name escapes me), when Gleaming Beauty secured first outright in the Road Class of the MB Club of NSW Concours. The two remaining pictures feature Gleaming Beauty and the Almond 3500S at Eastern Creek CCVTMC day. The Almond Car was written off about ten years ago. but its salvage items that were offered to me by the Insurance Company now form the basis of my NEW restoration of the white 3500S featured in this thread. Those Almond panels had been painted SKY BLUE, but have now been repainted in that original almond colour. Hope I am not boring you guys. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
We are off-topic a bit, but that is not an aspect that unduly worries me. The way I have been posting lately, anything at all emanating from my keyboard just has got to be an improvement in my posting rate. This car itself - the 300SEL - I just could not touch. It looks like problems from front to back, and up and downwards. The M189 3 litre engine is one of the most expensive to rebuild - that's just the engine. Never mind the rest, such as fuel pump, Alternator....look, I am not going to go on. Ask someone experienced like Helmet, and I can imagine what the answer would be. Anyway, just my opinion.

BTW, remember, I used to own a 1966 lwb 300SEL. Had it for seven years, one hundred thousand miles, and it was an absolutely cracking good family car. However, that was just on forty years ago. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I have often referred to my 1975 Rover 3500S that was involved in an accident more than ten years ago. I have now some pictures on hand shrtly after the car was written off. Luckily enough, the other party was insured with the NRMA, and they were prepared to pay me $9000.00 after inspecting the car as you see in the photos. Not only did they compensate me for the loss of the car, but I was allowed to keep the salvage with the wonderful interior, plus some body parts and the mechanicals, including a really 'smoking engine' (as in fantastic) and the genuine 5 speed Rover mechanical gearbox.

So the car that I purchased in Canberra will now be the donor car in the recreation that I will be pursuing. So,here are a couple of photos parked in front of my home when I lived at Baulkham Hills. Regards Styria View attachment MY CARS.pdf

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Well, I have often referred to my 1975 Rover 3500S that was involved in an accident more than ten years ago. I have now some pictures on hand shrtly after the car was written off. Luckily enough, the other party was insured with the NRMA, and they were prepared to pay me $9000.00 after inspecting the car as you see in the photos. Not only did they compensate me for the loss of the car, but I was allowed to keep the salvage with the wonderful interior, plus some body parts and the mechanicals, including a really 'smoking engine' (as in fantastic) and the genuine 5 speed Rover mechanical gearbox.

So the car that I purchased in Canberra will now be the donor car in the recreation that I will be pursuing. So,here are a couple of photos parked in front of my home when I lived at Baulkham Hills. Regards Styria View attachment 4091

Car looked nice. I'm sure its replacement with the new panels you have on the flynn chassis will be nice too.

I also spot a 6.3 in your drive way and a dark blue W116 parked on the street as well.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have forgotten whose Ch. 109 (6.3 - 3.5) was sitting in front of my garage. Well spotted by yourself, it is indeed a 450SEL parked across the road. That was a car owned by the second in charge of the Mount Kosciosko (that doesn't look right so please forgive me) trust. I met him when we went to Harrietville to stay for three or four nights, but a heavy rainstorm, accompanied by thunder and lightning proved too much for Julie, and we started getting ready at four in the morning to return home. It was all too much for the old girl.

Anyway, the man from the mountain chased me all over Bright (beautiful township in Victoria) after he had spotted Gleaming Beauty parked in the street and followed me to the tyre service centre I had gone to to have a small matter attended to. He told me about the resto of his 450 (very nice) but it lacked a good interior. I happened to have one on hand and his secretary brought his car to Sydney and I changed over the complete interior.

The next PDF picture illustrate the Rover 3500S and Gleaming Beauty at the Orange Blossom festival Concours at the Bull and Bush in Baulkham Hills. I managed to snare 1st (the 'S") and 3rd (GB) overall on the day. Outright !! You may also notice the different Radiator Grille treatment which in this picture is the correct egg crate grille. I replaced that with an Alloy Grille as shown in the previous picture after the accident.

Attachments

• My Cars No. 2.pdf
    224.7 KB · Views: 12

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I am still following this project with a great deal of interest.
I remember the car coming back from Canberra, because I followed it back to Glenorie, towing another Rover on a trailer behind Styria's Captiva.

I am going to make a special appointment to look at at the current state of work.
I would look forward to that.

With this post, I am currently at the Villa La Palagina, Tuscany, Italy.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Nice to hear from you David. For the unknowing, David is slaving away in Europe to try and maintain his lavish lifestyle. The lucky bugger, he never offered to take me along. :p

Now, getting back to tin tacs, so to speak. The next three pics show my 1966 Mark III, with its now all too familiar (!) colour scheme. These pics were taken prior to quite a bit of work having been done since.View attachment MyCars No. 3.pdf

Take note of the engine/gearbox assembly sitting on the fully movable subframe. By lifting the car high enough with a block and tackle, the whole assembly can just be moved under the car, and then be secured with six substantial bolts that secure the subframe to the body of the car. Take note of the engine, together with the four speed box and the electric overdrive. A very substantial unit. If one wants to remove the box/o/d assembly, this is done by removing the front seats and gearbox tunnel, and lifting it out through the door. In my younger days easily done, but nowadays.......Also note the wrapping on one of the torsion bars. The tension of those can be adjusted from the middle of the car at the back of the subframe. Regards Styria

Last edited: