Flat Battery

More threads by sean sherry

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Interesting about Volvo Batteries.. I now assume that this is also the case for Mercedes. Still ok at 11 PM. !2 Hours with no drop of Voltage There was no other problems that I found .......everything I checked was ok. I was skeptical when the work sheet for the Warranty repair just indicated that all that was changed was the Battery. They had the Car for one week. Though the AMG Battery only lasted the Warranty period of 3 years. The Varta is warranted for three and a half years. See me into the Grave as we say in Ireland !!!!

Patrick_R

Grand Master
We will keep everything crossed for you Sean.

Just remember warranty only covers the quality and workmanship of the battery.
It does not cover one tiny bit of the car it’s connected to, or how the car interacts (charging & discharging) with the battery itself.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
The Alternator is putting in 14.2 Volts and all still ok this morning.
When I was an Apprentice way back in the early Fifties the Electricians in the Dealership called me.... " But Why" Now I can die happy , now that I know what was causing the Battery drain.
Many Thanks
Patrick R and Topklasse... ( re Volvo insight ):D

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I have learned that with these late model Mercedes Cars with the Cam Bus system, they get upset if non genuine electrical parts are used. A notice on the Dash said R/R stop light fault. But it was working ok and the bulb tested ok Changed the bulb.... extinguished the Dash warning notice. Bulb was a Service Station purchase and probably a Taiwanese product, built down to a price. This happened once before .....Factory spec replacements only from now on.:)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
The Camera fitter today tells me that Currant Mazdas have the same issues with Batteries as my Merc., not being compatible with on board computer Systems .. Can Bus Systems

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Another little of information from the Net...... Alternators do not charge Batteries.... they top them up.
A battery charger charges batteries
My new AGM Varta battery has been on charge for two hours now and is putting in 5 amps and is very hot. Normal I am told for CTEK Swedish Charger.

I know that when the Alternator senses a full charge, via the on board Computers, it will cease to top up the Battery until the Battery capacity drops to less than 50% and stays there. Again normal to save Fuel.:)
Yes, the Alternator runs on Petrol ! And the Charger runs on Coal ! For now

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Good information Sean.

Our latest trucks can de clutch the water pump, alternator and air brake compressor all to reduce drag on the engine thus unwanted fuel use.
It will also neutralise the transmission and allow the truck to coast, while the engine uses minimal fuel at idle speed via cylinder de activation.
It will coast as far/long as you want as long as the speed stays under 80kph.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Another little of information from the Net...... Alternators do not charge Batteries.... they top them up.
A battery charger charges batteries
My new AGM Varta battery has been on charge for two hours now and is putting in 5 amps and is very hot. Normal I am told for CTEK Swedish Charger.

I know that when the Alternator senses a full charge, via the on board Computers, it will cease to top up the Battery until the Battery capacity drops to less than 50% and stays there. Again normal to save Fuel.:)
Yes, the Alternator runs on Petrol ! And the Charger runs on Coal ! For now
When my Ctek MSX 7 amp is charging at full rate it gets quite hot and I ensure it is not near any petrol lines or wires - usually I put it on a wood board. I email Ctek and their advice was that on full charge it should be as hot as a teapot straight after you have made tea. That would be the homely rather than scientific advice I guess - probably around 90 degrees C.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Both new batteries in our W204 C Class Cars now fully charged with my CTEK
Swedish Charger , Puts in 5 amps with 7 LEDs showing the state of the battery as it goes along. I know over time the battery capacity will be allowed to drop back to around 40% by the on board Computers. Maybe twice a year I will fully charge them.:)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
No.... but each car travels about 8,000Ks per year and would sit for no more than around 3 Days. It is that I am nervous about modern batteries which go out like a light switch without any warning.
Also, as a precaution, Alternator Brushes should be replaced at a 100,000 K Service A simple inexpensive job.:p

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm a bit rooted in my 50's as well Sean....
But my 20's and 30's were fun:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I'm still trying to make my 50's and this year it's been challenging

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Listen all you young Bucks...... I was talking about the Years in the Fifties 1950 to be accurate when i started my Apprenticeship !
Please make allowances for my Seniors moments !:eek:
Also please ensure that when number 84 clicks over on the 30th of this month that all my presents arrive on time.:cool: