Water Leaks

More threads by Anthony 350 sl

Anthony 350 sl

I am finding that the footwell under the drivers and passenger is wet after it rains so there is obviously a leak.
Can anyone suggest where the water is most likely coming from and what I can do to stop it. I am 95% it is not coming through the soft top.
Also in relation to the foam under the carpets is there any thing else that I could use that would not trap the water and allow it to evaporate ie dry itself

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I am finding that the footwell under the drivers and passenger is wet after it rains so there is obviously a leak.
Can anyone suggest where the water is most likely coming from and what I can do to stop it. I am 95% it is not coming through the soft top.
Also in relation to the foam under the carpets is there any thing else that I could use that would not trap the water and allow it to evaporate ie dry itself
What about the base of the screen?
That is a common place as water sits there and rusts through.
My advice to anyone taking delivery of a 107/116 to to pull out the screen and check.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
A

Anthony 350 sl

Thanks for that.
Next sunny day I will run the hose on the windscreen and see if the water runs into the footwell.
My advice to anyone taking delivery of a 107/116 to to pull out the screen and check.
What about if I just silicone the bottom of the screen?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Thanks for that.
Next sunny day I will run the hose on the windscreen and see if the water runs into the footwell.

What about if I just silicone the bottom of the screen?
In my experience, many 107/116s will have rust at the base of the screen and that lets in the water - it is just a function of age. If you don't take out the screen you will never know what is there. Silicone may just lock in the water, if there is any.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

116s yes, but the 107 has an unusual bottom seal and run-off area and i don't think it will give you much trouble, unless the car is really trashed.
I have found most Mercedes have a complex system of drains, doors, floors, windows, sunroof, bl**dy everywhere, and the air intake plenum in front of the windscreen, (where the grilles are under the wipers) also needs draining.
All of these get easily clogged by dust, debris and particulary dried leaves that break up and fall into the drain.
Check everywhere you can, and if you find a rubber hose that apparently goes nowhere, poke it!
Compressed air, welding rod, but be careful not to damage anything.
I had asked this before, but if anyone has a clear photo/drawing/diagram of where ALL the drains are in a 107 it would be most useful.
Chris M.

OP
A

Anthony 350 sl

Just had a play around.
Noticed water under the hinges of the bonnet just sitting there. Could not find any drain holes.
Also how do you get to the drain hoses under the grilles at the bottom of the windscreen? The grille themselves appear to be pop rivetted on.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Anthony, whilst I don't have a magic fix for the problem of finding water or moisture in the sound deadening area under your carpet, there are a couple of comments I can add to the discussion.

First of all, never use silicone as a sealing agent where rust is a problem - it will only encourage further rust. Also, do not apply it to components that you may wish or need to remove at future times. It may be very awkward and almost impossible to remove components that have been refitted using Silicone or Sikkaflex.

It is quite a long time since we've had any involvement with a 350SL and 450SLC. Entry of water, especially with the SLC, could be from various areas. As best as I can remember (I know with the SLC) the front screen is sealed/secured and held in place by an 'electric wire' process. Not sure about the SL - maybe Grease Monkey can put me right. I am going back three or four years.

With the padding and soundproofing under your carpet, you will have to find some way to remove it from the car in order to dry it out. Water in that area can be a constant source of annoyance. In order to perhaps recommend a 'fix', I would like to see the carpets on your car so that perhaps some form of remedial action can be suggested. Maybe you could come on the day of our Christmas get-together. Regards Styria

John S

Rust can be in odd places - I have seen photos of a rusted through (high up) plenum chamber allowing water to run in when full, and it could only be seen by taking off the chrome air vent cover and using a mirror! Why it rusted through in a high position rather than at the base I cannot imagine!