Removing chrome grill from water box housing W116

More threads by Jimb

Jimb

Distinguished
Hi again from Jim (Jimb).
From what I have read on other sites it appears the blower motor series resistor is located in the water box under the wiper arms .Can anyone tell me how do you remove the chrome grill after the wiper arms have been removed I do not want to cause damage to the car by any careless action. I wish to proceed with caution.Regards Jim.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Well I was not thinking I would be answering my own post.Also I Was not thinking I would be in a position to contribute anything to this forum for quiet sometime due to the fact I have only just aquired this car but here I am!
Ok yes the series resistor is in the water box under the central grill.The grill is not too difficult to remove ,four plastic plugs visible when the bonnet is opened.Then remove wiper arms and two more retaining nuts and the grill can be eased forward and out from under the windscreen seal. I then removed the plug from the series resistor unit what I did next was I cut a length of wire and crimped on two bullet type connector lugs and pushed them onto a couple of the pins on the unit .I did this so I had some chance of retrieving the unit when I removed the two retaining screws. Now the fun started I expected the unit would then be removable.Itwas not! Reason being this series resistor unit is hard wired to the blower fan, no plug to disconnect. I then removed the glove box expecting to be able to pull the unit back inside the car . I was not able to do so.
Having nothing to lose I managed to fish the unit up out of the water box opening enough to remove the cover off the unit ,I then ripped out the bimetallic strip which for reasons I am not sure of shorts out the series resistors the strip was fatigued and no longer doing whatever function it was supposed to do . The resistors themselves are in good condition . I then reassembled it all and it works fine and I can now adjust the fan speed and switch it on and off as required. I hope this information might benefit others on this forum. Still have to get the air con working. That is the next task.
Regards Jim.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
sounds like you worked it out ok, glad you posted it back as somebody else might find this useful.

Welcome to the forum BTW, when you get a moment, please post some photos of your car, I'm sure there will be a lot of interest to see it.

Bryce

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hello Bryce.
Thank you for your reply. The reason I put it up there was to contribute something useful to the forum .I did not think I would have anything to contribute for a while .I do have a fair knowledge of older cars however this one is a steep learning curve and I will be needing to seek much advise over the next few months. Other avenues to still explore are the air conditioner,I had to get the fan working first.Then there is the central locking that looks a bit scary,I have bought an hand operated vacuum pump ready to have a go.
I am happy to post some pictures,not sure yet how to,need to explore this.
Kind Regards.Jim.