Removing Adhesive from Painted Panels

More threads by Lukas

Lukas

Hi all,

A piece of side molding / rub strip was falling off the Conformadore, so I've pulled it off to clean up the surfaces and then stick it back on (this being a lesser car, they used double-sided tape rather than clips).

The original was double sided tape, and it's left some residue behind on the paint. Also looks like this has happened before, as there are some other mysterious glue marks on said paint.

Any tips as to what to use to remove the residue, while not destroying the paint?

Ta

Lukas

Oversize

Grand Master
Prepsol might do the trick.... You could also try Shellite. Interesting that you say lesser models use tape. I'd say even MB does this now as holes and clips in the panels allows water entry and a place for the dreaded rust to start.... :eek:

Tony66_au

3M Detailing/trim tape is a bugger to remove and there are a few different types.

Ive found using solvents tends to make a mess but if you are stuck on the idea id try Eucalyptus oil, WD 40 or similar.

The way I remove any residual glue or even tape is with a Caramel wheel attached to a hand drill.

Basically a Caramel wheel is a rubber/eraser in the shape of a wheel, normally used for removing pinstripes and other decals and providing you dont get the wheel too hot all that is left is some rubber fragments.

They are cheap enough and any decent auto store will carry them.

OP
L

Lukas

Thanks all - will try WD40 as I have it on hand, then go to purchases if needed.

Oversize

Grand Master
Good suggestions Tony. I find Eucalyptus oil very useful for removing tar from wheels as well as panels...

Tony66_au

Good suggestions Tony. I find Eucalyptus oil very useful for removing tar from wheels as well as panels...

Ta Mark, im a believer in doing things the easy way lol.

BTW Lukas?

If youve used WD or eucy on the foam you have to clean it off before using the caramel wheel or it buggers the wheel n makes a mess.