Water loss alarm.

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yet another sad story of a gentleman who experienced the joys of an engine funeral after his expansion tank ruptured. Of course with no coolant the temp gauge did not register and he failed to see the escaping steam. . .
A Spirit engine is not cheap to rebuild; so he purched a new one. Neither is a W116 cheap to rebuild. I am going to install the following - http://www.enginesaver.com.au/
Regards,
Benz-Boy
PS: Des need not worry about this.:D

Styria

The Godfather
Well, you learn something new everyday. I certainly had not been aware that the engine temperature gauge would not register under certain circumstances.

Mind you, you'd have to be unlucky, or certainly inattentive, not to notice that troubles were brewing under the bonnet. With Gleaming Beauty, prior to carrying out the valve grind and de-coke, I had a slightly faulty thermostat that didn't open until about 100 degrees. This was something that "crept up" over a period of time and did not happen all the time.

Initially, it caused some concern, especially as the water allowed to start circulating was accompanied by a 'gushing or some sort of noise' - difficult to describe, but you knew again that something was happening, and this noise was in tune with the gauge dropping down to normal - say about 87-90 degrees centigrade.

Obviously, replacement of the radiator core and properly operating thermostat eliminated those various 'overheating' symptoms.

N.B. Just as an aside, unduly hot running of your engine places additional loads on all your other cooling components, such as hoses etc.

SELfor50

Yep... gotta have good cooling.

It'd be nice to have a sound / buzzer so that if you're on the track it says: "slow the f*k down, your sh!ts bout to blow up!" :D

s class

I consider a water level sensor to be essential. I have one in my Ford and it saved the engine some years ago. About 3 years ago I retrofitted one to my 280SE and shortly afterwards it saved the engine. I'm busy retrofitting similar to both 6.9's.

WGB

If you have the 126 style tank retrofitted to a 116 - which is quite common - it comes with a sealed blank for the 126 water level sensor in it's side.

There has been discussion in the past about fitting the sensor and wiring up a bulb in the instrument cluster - again as is found in the 126.

The difficulty seemed to have been getting it to light during starting as a diagnostic check but that is not really essential.

Bill