Track day anyone?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

I tried a bit of racing Formula Fords in the eighties, I was no good, not only falling off and making mistakes on the limit, but my limit was not even close to competitive speeds so I packed it in - not good enough.
BUT, the tuition I had, and the experience on the track immediately made me a better safer driver on the road, and I think anyone who thinks they like to drive fast would benefit from some good track time.
I also knew a cop who was trained in high speed pursuits, and he showed me how they are trained to 'read' the road and traffic conditions to anticipate all potential hazards.
If the hoons who think it clever to race around in public, spent less on hot goodies for their road car and instead took up racing at club level, they would probably learn a few good lessons too.
Even Karts, sprints, hillclimbs etc, or a few days at a racing school if you can't afford to go racing for a whole season, would get it out of your system, and I for one was happier to be slower, but safer on the road.
Which gives me an idea!!!
How about a track day for the Benz brigade?
I guess we would all be left behind a well driven 6.9 or similar, but any car driven to it's relative limit would be an education.
Or, if we are all to sensible to put our nice old Benzs at risk, how about one of the race school days?
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Do you know someone or do you want me to organise it?

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I don't know of anyone specifically, but I have heard of such things at various circuits. Maybe, at least at first as we mostly seem to be Sydney area, E.C. is the place. Now whether it is better to take Mercs on a track day, settle old scores between 6.3s and 6.9s, or see how various 107s rate, or do one of their 'Drive a V8' days, I will gladly leave to see what the majority think.
Either would be a good day, and to be encouraged to learn a bit about high-speed driving.
(As much as I recommend Formula Ford if anyone wants to hire single-seaters for the day, they are not so comfortable for some of us overweight oldies).
Ok, someone has to be fastest, and someone slowest, and I have heard all the excuses, but let's take that chance and have some fun.
If you know of a suitable circuit, or racecar hire, stick it on here, and see what interest we get.
Chris

abl567

Super Moderator

I see a hand up here, Michel how many do you need for a track day?

I imagine a weekday would be the only way to go given the cost of track hire so to make it reasonable we need a few punters, I'll bring the 6.3 whenever and wherever we can make this happen. I've done a dozen or so track days at Eastern creek on motorcycles, what a buzz.

With enough people we can do this.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I'm flat out busy for the next week, but the week after I have some time off and will make enquiries re costs and numbers etc.
If Michel knows something about these activities, maybe he can suggest a way to do this? Meanwhile, anyone else putting their hand up?
If enough, we can organise with reasonable notice to fit everyone's calender.
I may enquire at Oran Park (it's still there, but not much longer) and Wakefield too, if E.C. is a problem.
So, get your spare tyres ready!
Chris

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm flat out busy for the next week, but the week after I have some time off and will make enquiries re costs and numbers etc.
If Michel knows something about these activities, maybe he can suggest a way to do this? Meanwhile, anyone else putting their hand up?
If enough, we can organise with reasonable notice to fit everyone's calender.
I may enquire at Oran Park (it's still there, but not much longer) and Wakefield too, if E.C. is a problem.
So, get your spare tyres ready!
Chris

Oran Park has been my radio programme's sponsor for years...
I can get almost anything from them....
As far as our own cars on the track, it would be no problems and reasonnably cheap...
But if we want to use someone else's vehicles (Ian Luff, etc.., that's when the serious money comes in...
Gimme a few days...
I'll track Jeff Boulos (OP manager) and see what he says).

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Oran Park has been my radio programme's sponsor for years...
I can get almost anything from them....
As far as our own cars on the track, it would be no problems and reasonnably cheap...
But if we want to use someone else's vehicles (Ian Luff, etc.., that's when the serious money comes in...
Gimme a few days...
I'll track Jeff Boulos (OP manager) and see what he says).
Sounds like a good idea, if we want to have fun in Mercs, that is the way to go. If anyone wants to get more serious about race tuition etc, then yes, it will cost more, but we could all do that anytime, it need not involve Benzs.
BTW Michel, do tell about this radio programme; what is it about, where and when?
I may be out or range in Shellharbour, but am often in Sydney metro.
Chris

SELfor50

Great idea!!! If we can book something up before the end of November - i'm there!

Wakefield also regularly have their 'speed off the street' days, where anyone can bring their car.

You're entirely correct about people spending too much on HP for their street cars, but not enough on making them stop or learning how to drive them. Big advocate for putting drivers like that behind a 500BHP car and telling them to go for it... 1st corner, they'd finally get it.

...anyway. Michel, I'd be keen as to give Oran Park a crack. Look forward to seeing what the options are.

Oscar, maybe this could be Povo's first outing??! :cool:

SELfor50

That reminds me too... skid pan. :eek: :eek:

oscar

Oscar, maybe this could be Povo's first outing??! :cool:

Would love too, I was going to suggest Wakefield at one stage also and saw the hire was around $4k but then there's those 'speed off the street' days too.

But Michel's contacts sound the way to go. I'd like to try EC or Oran park, which ever. But having said all that, you know me, work etc, plus povo on stilts still. I'll see what is arranged date wise then give a yes or no when I get a better idea if I can make it.:cool:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, sounds more than interesting and I would give it my full support. Naturally, the cost factor needs to be considered in my case, and we may also have to consider inviting participants from sources other than Topklasse members - I just don't think we're big enough at this stage. Anyway, I'll watch this space with interest. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'l make a few calls today and see what i can come up with....

Obviously the cheapest option would be to bring your own car and give it a run....

Watch this space:D

SELfor50

Hi guys, sounds more than interesting and I would give it my full support. Naturally, the cost factor needs to be considered in my case, and we may also have to consider inviting participants from sources other than Topklasse members - I just don't think we're big enough at this stage. Anyway, I'll watch this space with interest. Regards Styria

Cost factor? I'm sure we all need to consider that... I would imagine that we all know plenty of people who'd want to come along.

Surely there's plenty of events (similar to Wakefields speed of the street days) that you only have to rock up with your car, pay a fee (bout $100 or something) and you're off and racing.

Look forward to hearing the outcome Herr Michel. ;)

PS. Benzboy, i will chase up the Skid pan stuff by COB tomorrow! Promise.. :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I still don't have an anaswer, but I am hoping to have one by tonight....

Hang in there boys...:p

SELfor50

Hey Michel, any love?? :)

SELfor50

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
guysssssssssssssssssssssssss....

My mate Jeff Boulos, manager at Oran park is so bloody hard to get it isn't funy...

We've been playing tag team calling one another..

I'll try him again.... now