The TeamW116 Team (#1 & #2 @ Sandown)

More threads by B13

Oversize

Grand Master
How great are those photos and the video!!!!! :cool: I love the different combinations of colours and wheels.

I'm hoping TeamW116 will recommence racing and their contributions to TK. They have been sorely missed; their videos were definitely entertaining and their campaign was facinating to follow. They were an inspiration to many of us.

Isn't it amazing that something the size of a W116 is quite comfortable on a racetrack, as well as the open road, or in the city!! MB should be commended for building something so versatile. I'm itching for a big get-together in Winton sometime in the future. Maybe around this time next year?? Would anyone else be interested?? :rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm itching for a big get-together in Winton sometime in the future. Maybe around this time next year?? Would anyone else be interested?? :rolleyes:

If you're in, I could be persuaded.. :p

OP
B

B13

Just saw this thread. I have never stopped competing in my 450SE, it has been in constant use since 2008. I'm mainly using it for Autocrossing this year, at avalon and have been in every round. I stopped doing Sprints because no one wanted to join me / no one was interested and they are very expensive compared to Autocrossing, which is especially disheartening when I go there, do my laps and go home again without seeing any mates or other MBs there. My intention is to get back into sprints using the 190E but I've been planning that for 2 years and don't look to be getting any closer.

I tried writing a column in the MBCV monthly magazine about motorsports and although I get favourable feedback "Your article is the only one I read each month" , "Your article is the best thing about the magazine", no one else in the club of 700+ members wants to try the sport and the club struggles to attract younger members so I'm also placing them in the generally disinterested category.

Here's some pictures from the autocross series so far this year:

dd2_7789.JPG

dd2_7807.JPG

dd2_7659.JPG

dd2_7697.JPG

dd2_7355.jpg

dd2_7357.jpg

dd2_6394.JPG

dd2_6401.JPG

dd2_6404.JPG

Here's an in-car video from Sandown, note my camera fades the sound down as things get louder so down the straights the video sounds quiet but inside the car its quite satisfactory V8 roar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ugcl0oyak

Just to clarify who Team W116 is / was:

#1 SELfor50 / Cam: 450SEL 4.5 - now dismantled / landfill - was race number 78
#2 me (Ian): 450SE D-Jet - still in active competition - race number 116 or 450
#3 Oscar: 280S - 4 speed manual - in hibernation pending re-shelling - was race number 56
#4: me: 190E/turbo - in pieces - was race number 201
#5: SELfor50 / Cam: 450SE 6.9 - engine in pieces - uses race number 116

Anyone want to take up the sport? I'm keen to sell the 450 so I can focus on the 190E...

I.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks for the pics and the videos Ian.

Oversize

Grand Master
How great are those pictures of a W116 racing on the dirt??? :cool::cool: Thanks heaps! Sorry to hear you're thinking about selling... In the meantime, keep up the good work!!! When's your next race and where??

Tony66_au

Love the Autocross pics Ian, I have a friend who used to do Khana in Dodge Pheonix and it was a sight to behold and looked like a heap of fun.

I have to admit I had a huge fang on dirt n my Brown 450SE just after I got it and the shorter wheelbase Benz was very nice even in its standard form and quite controllable considering I was hooning in a Quarry.

I initially was going to do just one circuit as the car was an unknown quantity and on road tyres but I ended up doing 6 and going faster every time against utes and 4 wheel drives which I caught with relative ease although overtaking was a bit harder but after shutting the Aircon off and winding down the window I got into the spirit and my 2nd last lap saw me go from 7th to 2nd being held off by a Nissan Patrol mud pig far better suited to the terrain.

I suspect that a set of rally retread tyres would see me do a bit better.

And the best part?

The boys (And one girl's) reactions.

I cant afford to compete in any organised form of motorsport these days but i reckon I'll be back to the pit over summer with the SE again.

Tony

oscar

Ahhh, brings back memories :D

Howdy all, been a while I know. Thanks for linking that Oran Park vid Michel, I haven't watched any of those for ages. Great times! I forgot how much I miss the sound of a high revving M110. And how on earth did you get access to OP recently. :mad: Jealous me! I thought the place would be overrun by cactii and tumbleweed if not unrecognisable due to two storey brick veneer dwellings.... such a great track to race on.

Anyhow, an update from me. Since Povo last ran at Sandown, Nov 09, its brakes were binding and engine become smokey so a decision was made to rebuild and transplant a modified m110 with the 4spd trans into the red 280S. Alas nothing has eventuated. Another wreck has been cut up and some parts consolidated but that's it. The whole w116 thing including the 350SE has taken a back seat to riding my KLX250S, buying bike gear and saving for my next bike. I can see the 350's space being taken up by a mix of retro Jap, Italian and British bikes:cool: They're just so cool.

The racing thing isn't dead, just put aside for an unkown period of time. After driving a friend's SS commodore and waiting to try out another's new XR6 turbo ute which apparently is faster, it makes sense to go buy one of these stock creations that are good to go. But there's something special about putting an old merc on the track. It doesn't have to be the fastest, though speed obviously helps. The process of building up a creation, modifying and racing something different was enjoyable and addictive. It's something that I only just touched on before shelving my ideas. Lots of ideas and I hope to revisit them some time but no idea when.

Styria

The Godfather
I'm taking in some of Ian's and Ossie's (that's what I call him) sentiments regarding the 'loneliness' in competing in racing activities without friends, mates, acquaintances etc. etc. It can be very lonely. These activities you need to share with like minded individuals, and they are not easy to come by for various factors - money, family, work etc. etc.

Ossie in particular, is domiciled in Griffith, and really is there anyone close to him ? Unfortunately not, and in his case, to come to Sydney for that Oran Park meeting organized so ably by Michel, it would have cost a heap of money, plus time, plus maintenance etc. - never ending. I know that Ossie now has a 6.9 engine he purchased from SELfour50 in Canberra, and I am wondering what he is going to do with that. Reading between the lines, I'd doubt if we'll see Ossie on the track again, and it could well be that even his 350 may start languishing somewhere in the corner of his garage, but I have a suggestion that he may wish to consider. How about restoring a 116 ? This is what I have done with Gleaming Beauty. (Still a work in progress !) - yes, I know.

Rather than racing Gleaming Beauty which I couldn't afford, the next best thing is to refurbish/restore your pride and joy. It has cost me a fair bit of money to get GB to where she is now, and we won't even talk about the time it has taken, but now I have something that's different, something not everyone has, and maybe this is an option available to Ossie - even a long term project. Anyway, we'll see what happens. Nice to have Ossie's update, and of course it is also good to hear from Ian (B13). He looks in very frequently, but these great pictures and his info are the first we have heard for a little while now. BTW Ian, that AMG spoiler - did it come off your Silver Green 6.9 ? If I remember correctly, that was one of my spoilers that I originally sent to 'good old' Des in Tassie - I wonder where is he these days :D Regards Styria

Last edited:

WiSeGuYY

hey Michel , i saw the VIDEO , stunning speed for red terror , sorry for late respond i was away .

Also glad to see OSCAR post here again, those guys are serious racers out of my league, we don't have race tracks here.

Ian , thanks for the post.

REGARDS

TAREK

oscar

Your too kind Tarek. I couldn't call myself a serious racer or out of anyone's league, just scratching the surface of a great hobby before it came to an unplanned halt.

Styria, the ex selfor50 6.9 engine sits where I left it, bolted to a stand, oiled up and loosely wrapped in plastic. It needs a whole lot of expertise and dollars thrown into it before it can get transplanted. So no plans there apart from keeping it shelved, plus I've wanted to do much more with an M110 before the 6.9 gets a look in, if at all.

Restoration wise, to be honest I don't desire the urge to go down that path anymore. I've thought about it numerous times over the years but can't justify it when the 350 especially doesn't need it so to speak. It still has the 10ft appeal, ie it looks great after a wash from 10ft away and if it does get a little knocked around it's not such a big deal. I'd go mental if my newly painted w116 got a ding or scratch. At the moment the 350 is still a reliable, good looking chariot that performs when called on but very rarely gets used. It wouldn't have travelled 500km this year. I suppose the idea of playing mechanics and tuner in modifying an m110 has had the greatest appeal with me but the usual, time and money thing, has held me back.

You raise a good point regarding distance. It's always been a bug bear and not just in relation to the distances to tracks. There's just no expertise locally, not even a local dyno. And no rego or insurance for test drives. So any mods only really get tested following a lengthy trek to a track. Not ideal.

I wont deny you may be right that I may never get on a track again with a w116. The longer it takes to get things moving again, the more I'm inclined to take a more realistic approach and leave the ideas as unfulfilled dreams. A bit sad but doesn't seem like too big a deal as time goes by.

WiSeGuYY

Hey OSCAR ,

Nice to see post from you here , it is joy , but still i'm asking for the place i can find high resolution picture of yout PONTON AVATAR ( the white & orange ) i fall in love with this one and need a permit from you to make one in here ( that if i still can find one for logic price) and sure after finishing my red PIGLET (sigh) and the w116.

Keep the posts flow , REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hey OSCAR ,

Nice to see post from you here , it is joy , but still i'm asking for the place i can find high resolution picture of yout PONTON AVATAR ( the white & orange ) i fall in love with this one and need a permit from you to make one in here ( that if i still can find one for logic price) and sure after finishing my red PIGLET (sigh) and the w116.

Keep the posts flow , REGARDS

TAREK

If you think Oscar's current avatar (a highly modified W116-no Ponton for our Oscar) is hot, you should have been around the days of the pink T-Shirt:p

oscar

hehe, one of my faves michel :cool:

Tarek, this is the best picture I can find of it. No ponton though. It was hand drawn, roughly coloured in, scanned then photoshopped for some effects. The version in the avatar was then squashed sideways to make it look cartoonish. I can see how it can look pontonified but below is the original. ;)

impression2small.jpg

WiSeGuYY

Hi MICHEL & OSCAR

Thanks for the explaining and correcting , i was very confused by the compressed photo which was for me a ponton with bentley headlamps ( till MICHEL give the light of what i was not expecting then OSCAR reveal the shed of what i can say a masterpiece of art work of car detailig , still fond of it w116 or not , now i can see it is w116 in fine dress , can't thank you enough both of you.
Hope still to see more posts of you in here OSCAR .

BEST REGARDS & thanks for the photo .

TAREK

WiSeGuYY

LOL MICHEL

The video makes me a bit sad , again we don't have this culture to dismantel and i saw it before in OSCAR'S profile. here the weather is kind to us and the only way to reach this stage is total loss.

REGARDS

TAREK