Teamw116#3 280SM - parts gathering

More threads by oscar

oscar

I am legend:D

I know that sounds a bit sure of myself but by a pure streak of good luck I somehow a couple of months ago cut the front end off the yellow 280 with enough inner guard on the LHS to use it for 280SM. The RHS was cut much shorter.

The bumper section has bent bolts and will be discarded which means the structural part of 280SM will remain intact too. So I don't need to grind brown 280 at all now.

plus I got bonnet ready, left quarter panel, complete grill, chin spoiler (though that AMG spoiler is begging to see daylight):cool:. bumper section and lights all in the shed.

280sbodypartsii1.jpg

280sbodyparts1tf3.jpg

280sbodyparts2ov4.jpg

280sbodyparts3yp1.jpg

280sbodyparts4ti8.jpg

280sbodyparts5ks8.jpg

280sbodyparts7ps5.jpg

280sbodyparts6oc6.jpg

OP
oscar

oscar

Bit of an update. No turning back now. Hardest thing was taking the a/c compressor off. arrrgh! but it's off finally. So much easier to get at the front of the engine at the moment. Can't wait to give it a clean. The fan was bent, could be reused but I think I'll go twin electric.

The car's been repainted in parts and a bit of rust here and there, it makes me wonder if it's worth fixing all the rust.:confused: Haven't found anything major yet rustwise.

B13

Jeez thats fast work - well done... You can probably have it drivable by this time sunday at the rate you're working!

Is the car going to get a all-over red-racing duco?

I.

OP
oscar

oscar

I so much wanted to kick it over tonight but glad I didn't rush into it.

I go back to work tomorrow:mad: Sux being employed. So I wont get to do anything now till next Wednesday. If the welding goes well, the car could be on the road within a short time, but then it comes down to how much I want to do to it.

Get it going first I suppose should be my main priority but racing colours have well and truly occupied my thoughts too.:D Cam did a great job bringing the paintwork up but looking closely, it's opening up in many areas and because it'll be a track car, I wont feel bad about changing colours, or putting flames down the sides LOL.

I'm out of ideas really but I've always thought a w116 done as though it was modified like those AMG 6.3's would look cool. A hypothetical AMG w116 that could've been. I'll be back with a photoshop job.:)

It's a quick mash up but you get the idea

Last edited:

B13

Looks mean! My son wants whitey to be red-on-red... since I'm building the thing for him its probably how it will end up... No doubt you've noticed all accessories I've bought for the car are either red or black...

Paint will be the last thing after the car has been properly debugged.

I.

Last edited:

Des

Dear Oscar,

hope you are well

Did I miss a post along the way? Did you buy another car? kill one? building a race car?

seems I missed a part of the story somehow.

Kind Regards
Des

116Benz

Well, theres a Red Sow, so this would be a...erm...Red Pigglet? Unbelievable job your doing there Oscar.

OP
oscar

oscar

I didn't realise what Red Sow referred to in that other thread, now I do. i hadn't heard that name for it before.

Red Pigglet it is and we need a 1:24 model of it too. BTW, did you notice the red pigglet was LHD too.:rolleyes: typical, no wonder the models are always LHD.

116Benz

Well....I may not be able to do a 1:24...but I can do a 1:43, based on a white Schuco 350SE I have that's been primered. I have a 1:43 Red Sow I bought off Des, I might be able to swap the transfers from it to the 350. Will keep you posted...

OP
oscar

oscar

Oh cool! It'd be impossible to do without transfers I'd imagine.

I remember when Des was selling. It kind of opened my eyes to what was available out there and how good the models were and is it any wonder how popular collecting them is.

SELfor50

Oscar, WTF?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Man, I knew there was a reason I passed you the torch!! And the angle grinder, and a few spanners and a set of keys.. ;)

You're a machine, and it seems extremely capable of 'Merculian' efforts!!

Looking great dude, don't rush starting it - get her right first. And also don't forget bout the sticky accel pedal..obviously that's low on the list right now but at the speed your cracking at this you'll be up to that in no time.

How'd you find it mechanically with everything 'opened' up??

Besides the fan swapout on the cards is there anything else you can do to improve performance while you're there?? Eg, maybe custom cold air ducts with the new front end etc.

Obviously A/C can stay off etc. Maybe hole saw the new body pieces before attachment as well?!

F*k you're doing a great job dude, look forward to seeing this pan out. :cool::cool:

Cam2. :)

OP
oscar

oscar

:D Dude I almost gave up on you, I was just about to hit the sack but I'm glad you got to see the progress:)

Not sure what to do mechanically yet. Haven't really touched anything in that department. Wasn't much coolant drained out either. That bottom hose dropped about a litre of rusty water.

Whilst the solex is working I'm not gonna touch it for a long time. I'll probably wait till it's all together again before I do anything major to it. Give it a big clean prior to painting the new bits but I want to take the rocker cover off round about then and check compression, valves, timing chain, those sort of things. Get it tuned as is. I'll also put a stock tacho in.

Cold air duct/s definitely. Also, a few weeks ago I was reading up about ram intakes and resonator boxes for the intake. It's a bit of hit and miss with a possibility that if it does work, it will only come into play within a certain rev range. Ideal if it helps at high racing revs but from what I've read on a few forums and websites, custom jobs with pod filters often downgrade performance. But that's moreso for newer cars with some kind of intake factory resonator removed and custom plumbing in its place. So not sure yet, but it's going to be fun experimenting.

Last edited:

SELfor50

All good mate.. Was busy making kebabs last night so wasn't able to surf much.

Fair enough with the solex, I think Ian was saying it's a carby that's bigger than what the car even really needs so is all good for the moment..

Don't know anything bout resonator boxes though.....so will have to research that.

Hope you're not working too hard over the next 3-4 days..that way when weds comes you got plenty energy for working on 'Povo'. BTW, her name is Povo. :D

Cam2. :)

OP
oscar

oscar

Re: Teamw116#3 povo continued

Today I spent most of the arvo degreasing the engine and bay over and over and still had stubborn stains that just wont go. I should try OMO, or Cold Power. I'm using Kenco degreaser concentrate and a high pressure hose but some stuff just wont budge.

I also trimmed the replacement front and test fitted. I need to be carefull tomorrow as I grind away trying to get a perfect butt joint on the inner guard. There's some straigtening required but not too much. Someone remind me to put in a new bonnet release cable before too long so I don't close the new bonnet then try and figure out how to open it again. I'll also start paint stripping too tomorrow.

test fit
imgp4349largenr4.jpg

before and after degrease
imgp4344mediumlf5.jpg

imgp4352mediumke0.jpg

more engine shots
imgp4350smallph1.jpg

imgp4351smallvo7.jpg

Des

Looks worlds different!

it is such a nice feeling putting up the bonnet on a car and it is all nice and clean.

Shouldn't you block off the radiator hoses though? just incase something gets in there? dirt, insects...spiders?

OP
oscar

oscar

Looks worlds different!
Shouldn't you block off the radiator hoses though?

Good point Des, I honestly don't know. Yes I suppose. I was wondering if rust may form myself if it's not filled with something. I shall fill it and block it tonight.

Des

Sounds good, yes

Just would hate to think what would happen with a tiny little flake of metal getting inside the motor.

:eek:

M110's are such a nice looking engine too, with the cover on the top, been toying with the idea of getting a spare cover and painting it.

keep up the good work mate

Des

SELfor50

That's great work Oscar!!! Engine's looking really f*kn good now.

The new front cut looks like it was made for it!! ;)

I'll make sure I remind you bout the bonnet latch. While you're there you may as well crank some bonnet pins on there.. :cool:

Also with the replacement bonnet you could see if you can plan out a cut on there and stick a bug catcher out there with pod filter or something?! Be much better cold air.. :D food for thought?

So when's the welding gonna take place you reckon?