Teamw116#3 280SM - parts gathering

More threads by oscar

SELfor50

I'll post the part number up when I get home and maybe someone might know what it's from. It's already got two long bits cut off it because it was fitted to a Val before hand. But those parts I would've cut off anyway. I'll get a pic up later what they should look like. $170 the cost second hand and there is two nicks in one of the fans but no big drama.

Good stuff... i'm still contemplating just going with the 1 big thermo, but if I can find another set like this - looks like they'll fit like.... a set of MB Twin Thermo's.. ;)

OP
oscar

oscar

Last edited:

B13

Some pesky german with a sense of humour has designed that thing...

OP
oscar

oscar

Well I hung my fan and put it on a battery. It really sux....or blows. I like it. I'm thinking of getting a shroud made up from sheet metal. So much for weight saving.

Anyhow, here's another update. Today I ground the welds down till I thought, bugger it, I'll use filler which I did. The result is ok but I reckon had I used a different smooth filler without fibreglass strands in it I would've achieved a smoother finish. Being one that likes to plaster, I should've made it look seamless but the blobs of welds were too big and I kept contacting the marking the panel everytime I tried to grind in a few spots so I left it.

The primer surfacer looks great and by the looks of it I managed to keep any bugs or dirt from sticking into the paint. I did have a couple of runs but after bit of light sanding it'll be ok. Plus I got the hang of my gun now.

Filler applied

Got bored sanding by hand so in came the grinder and sanding disc. Can't beat power tools ;D

Pre paint

Post paint. Although I ended up covering the whole bumper beam

quarter panel primed.

SELfor50

Oscar, as long as she sucks AND blows she's a keeper! :D

Lookin' good dude!! :cool:

More coats to go on tomoz yeah??

Been meaning to ask, how the hell is the radiator gonna fit with those fans? :confused:

OP
oscar

oscar

:D Definitely a keeper

Regarding the fan - plenty of room with no condenser. The fan is going to take it's place. I'm pretty well set on getting some sheet metal tomorrow to make a custom shroud. Trust me, it'll kick butt.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done young Oscar....

Mate.... you're impressing me more by the day.... :p

SELfor50

OP
oscar

oscar

I wanna see how much we can get out of an M110, I think burn this engine out, then put the red one's in, then we'll talk chev:D

Thanks for your words Michel. I broke a golden rule of panel and paint today by sanding the bonnet near the car. I now have a dust problem:mad: have to wait till tomorrow to sort it out.

Didn't get as much done today due to the bonnet taking forever to strip, mostly due to the amount of filler previously applied, and it's still not finished. You can see the layers which was thicker in some areas compared to others. there's deep gouges from a previous grind and repaint but I think layers of primer surfacer plus sanding will see a smooth finish. Just gonna take longer to finish.

I did get an underbody coat applied to the inner guard and inside the quarter panel prior to the dust. So all was not lost today.

imgp4425mediumox0.jpg

imgp4418mediumnp4.jpg

Layers on the bonnet
imgp4419mediumze7.jpg

imgp4421mediumwm8.jpg

imgp4423mediumyr7.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
keep it up mate...
we'll are proud of u
:D

SELfor50

Nice progress there mate!!

You're not spraying the bonnet white are you? Just get some of that Carbon fibre looking contact / adhesive stuff. :eek: It'll look the part.

Good call too about the engines... only problem is, I don't actually anticipate there being an end of life moment for povo's engine. :eek: Not at least until another 2-3yrs of solid redline action.. even then maybe not. :)
[I touched wood] ...jeez I hope I havne't given it the kiss of........ :eek:

If you're still up too mate, give me a call on the mobile if you can. :)

Cam.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice progress there mate!!

You're not spraying the bonnet white are you? Just get some of that Carbon fibre looking contact / adhesive stuff. :eek: It'll look the part.
Cam.

Let him keep up the quality work he's doing Cam.....

Go for the respray Oscar... Unless you want to do the bonnet Ambo Black :p

OP
oscar

oscar

Guys I never saw these replies till now. Sorry I didn't call you Cam. I think i hit the sack around 11pm. Come to think of it I got no idea where my phone is. I hide it/loose it on days off so work can't ring.:rolleyes: I suppose it's too late to ring you now Cam, you're probably out for the night. i know I would be if I could:cool:

Re the bonnet, I was going to do it white for the moment. Drive it round then modify after the mechanics are tested, but yes Michel, I'm thinking anti reflective black, the same kind that was so familiar on the old Ford ambos. Which reminds me - one day a long time ago after I joined the job and pre merc, I got bored whilst working relief at a one man station and decided to polish the car. noone told me you don't polish the bonnet:eek: I got down to bare metal on the bonnet ridges trying to get that black bonnet to shine :p LOL You live and learn.

Speaking of which, the biggest problem today is that I found out I didn't put enough primer surfacer on the quarter panel. Wasn't as obvious until I put the white enamel on but it's shocking. I'm going to strip and start again. I only put about 4 coats on of primer surfacer whereas after I learnt my lesson, the bonnet has had 7 coats and two sands so far and it still needs more to fill the previous sanding disc gouge marks. But it's interesting to see the marks slowly disappear with each coat. I can see what's needed.

The chassis parts on the other hand are pretty good and not such a drama with imperfections anyway. I'm not sure whether to leave it as is or sand and give it one more coat.

Without baking facilities, it's amazing how long it's taking to dry. 3-5hrs it says on the can at room temp and although about 18-19 today, it's still tacky just about everywhere after 9 hrs. The paint appeared stark white in comparison to the old paint but as it started to dry it did get that cream/off white look of 050G. Not sure if that's what this car is but it looked exactly the same as my 350 which is 050G.

imgp4434smallax3.jpg

imgp4435smallku4.jpg

imgp4437smallww5.jpg

imgp4440smalles8.jpg

imgp4439smallmg9.jpg

imgp4447smallfw2.jpg

imgp4441smallzn3.jpg

SELfor50

Oh so sexy...... :cool:

Unlucky with the bonnet, but live and learn i guess. as you say. :p

How different does the new panels look on the side compared to the door etc?
Does it stand out a heap?

....also, I hear along the grapevine Oscar that Nat is upset that my / our / your new car is in her "New Garage"?! :eek:
Actually, I belive the words were, "His piece of sh!t Merc is in my new garage..." :D :eek: :D I laughed.. ;)
Man, this country only has like 2 degrees of seperation!!!! :)

OP
oscar

oscar

Oh so sexy...... :cool:

Unlucky with the bonnet, but live and learn i guess. as you say. :p

How different does the new panels look on the side compared to the door etc?
Does it stand out a heap?

....also, I hear along the grapevine Oscar that Nat is upset that my / our / your new car is in her "New Garage"?! :eek:
Actually, I belive the words were, "His piece of sh!t Merc is in my new garage..." :D :eek: :D I laughed.. ;)
Man, this country only has like 2 degrees of seperation!!!! :)

Oh man! :eek: that just reminded me of something I meant to ask you ages ago. You know DK then LOL. I don't but Nat went to school with him but she told me about that remark she told him on facebook. LOL. I hear it all the time, at home, at work.... - bloody commoners they are :D

Def a small world. I meant to ask you about him ages ago when Nat saw you guys had similar email addresses :rolleyes: My bad.

About the panels, both quarter panel and bonnet has been sprayed now. The main problem again was dust. The chassis parts turned out good but the panels show their obvious defects as in bumps and scratches which are showing through. I thought these panels were perfect because they looked allright beforehand, but some panel shop has done a pretty good job with filling to give a smooth surface. But the paint was cracked and they had to be stripped to bare metal.

The contrast in colour is like white and cream. It just looks fresh but not stark white. I thought, bugger it, I've finished the chassis, I want to get the thing going so the paint there is done. The panels I'll spend a bit more time next days off trying to get at least a smoother dust free finish. If I can achieve this, I might just cheaply do the whole car ie, not remove all trim, light sand, prepwash and respray the same fresh white. We'll wait and see how the panels fit and if there is an ugly contrast or not. when the panels dry, I'll throw one up against a door so you can get a better idea of contrast.

Here's just a quick pic or two from today after the bonnet was painted. Notice the dust:mad: it's everywhere like that despite my cleaning attempts. Once I saw it I just put a light coat on so I can sand again. The colour doesn't look too different in these shots. But the camera is misleading.

EDIT replaced broken bonnet pic link

imgp4449mediumyu3.jpg

imgp4450mediumlb0.jpg

imgp4451mediumze5.jpg

Last edited:

SELfor50

Hahaha... yes, i know Donkey Kong!!

Commoners... hahah.. :D

Was funny though, cause it's same situation at my work... people can't understand the interest in "those bloody merc's"... :D

Don't worry bout the dust, soon, other competitors will be eating your 'dust'. ;) :cool:

Lookin' good though Simon, keep it up mate!

Cam. :)

OP
oscar

oscar

Here's the latest. It's alive! More panel work first. Bought a random orbital sander which is brilliant. The paint job is improving all the time, I'm now adding less thinners and getting a smoother thicker coat without runs but still got imperfections due to my compressor spitting little oil drops out I think during the time I was air drying the panels after sanding and washing. A couple more coats and I think she'll be right.

Anyway, got the radiator and oil cooler in. no fan yet. Attached the coil and replacement dizzy. It took a few starts to get going but was fine until the thing fully warmed up. When I tried a warm start it would die after a few seconds. The vacuum secondaries aren't working either. I think I might be using the holley off the red 280S. Although I still have to tune this thing, it's responding poorly to full throttle. We'll see how I go later. I'm still reassembling and can't afford to get carried away with the mechanical side yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVzZ-KuSDs

imgp4452mediumei0.jpg

imgp4453mediumcv1.jpg

B13

It lives! Nice work young man. Thanks for the video but I can see she's not ready for a "Big Rev" clip quite yet...

Just a quick note, the secondaries on vac sec carbs are almost impossible to get them to open unless the engine is under load (being driven). When its free spinning it never generates sufficient vacuum to open the secondaries. Nor would you want them to... you'd have to be almost at the red line to get them to start to open, and once they were open an observable amount the engine revs would be near self-distruction zone.

I've got my weekend cut out with Whitey so we'll re-conviene here sunday night and swap pictures. Povo should be up to a short drive by then?

I.

OP
oscar

oscar

Yeah, big rev = big cough or back fire at the moment. I've been out tonight wiring up the lights. Got em all working except the rear and front parking light. I've also got a little ambitious and bought 4L of white paint. So I'm going to sand the lot and make it all the same but cheaply, ie no trim removal.

I get what your saying about the secondaries now. Reading the manual, it doesn't matter either that the dashpot's diaphragm is ruptured either. It's more of a control measure to slow the butterfly's movement for when they do open.

SELfor50

OOOOSSSSSCCCCCARRRRRRR, F*CK YEAH!!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

That ish was sexual..... it's like an engine snuff video, IN REVERSE!!!

Povo should almost be re-named, Frankenstein.. almost dead, bought back to life and resurrected by the Doc. :D ;)

Soooooooo happy to see the beast living again. The coughing thing / backfire I was trying to explain to Ian on the phone on the first day (out of a whole 3 :rolleyes:) that I had her. When you take her for a drive, if you push the gas hard fast it'll do a major cough (don't know whether it's flood or what) but it does that then finally kicks. Like I said though, whatever you do, DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE STICKY THROTTLE!! :eek: :eek:

Go great guns on the whole painting thing. The car deserves it....and so do you my friend.

.....give that man a tooheys! ;)

edit: Changed #### to F*CK. :)

Last edited: