Teamw116#3 280SM - parts gathering

More threads by oscar

B13

Poor ba5tard has been crook this weekend.

Get well soon young lad.

I.

SELfor50

Poor ba5tard has been crook this weekend.

Get well soon young lad.

I.

:(:(

2nd that my friend!! Get well mate. ;)

OP
oscar

oscar

Only that the fan stopped working:(

No real updates, I was crook on Firday, same on Saturday but still went to a Trivia Night and ended up in a shout drinking pints coz they ran out of shooner glasses. So Sunday of course, I was hung over and was useless. I rarely drink these days because I'm on call a lot and I think I've forgotten my limits:rolleyes:

I did have a look at povo last night to admire my lumpy paint work:cool: and thought I'd kick the old scrag over only to find her new fan inoperative. Spent an hour tracking and testing wires. The fan works when power's supplied but there's no power to it when the car's cold or hot, not that engine temp is supposed to affect operation anyway. I've come to the conclusion the relay is cactus. So that was my 3 days off. Wont be able to touch 'er again till Thursday.

I spend a bunch of time day dreaming about mods and paint jobs though. :D Especially after reading the advances on whitey and ol smokey, but I'll keep it simple still for starters.

EDIT: Didn't realise there was the two posts above when I posted. I was still on page 8 when I responded. Anyway, the headache's gone, no memory loss and I'm back at work. Thanks for the well wishes;)

Last edited:

SELfor50

Good to hear you're well my friend!! And a bit of 'downtime' and a few lager's is always good!! You definitely deserve it after what you've done so far..

Regarding the mod's etc.... Like you said, simple for starters, otherwise the $$ just starts disappearing. Trust me.. :( Best to get her out there for her first couple hillclimbs and see where she's at. Cause there's no way to test those sorta limits anywhere else but the track, untill that you won't really know what's best to 'mod' first. After my first run, I knew exactly what my to do list was. Then after my first sprint (with Ian's assistance) I had a list of what was mandatory before the next outing. When the time comes young Jedi, you will know. ;)

Oversize

Grand Master
This thread makes what I'm doing look like child's play! Well done Oscar! Tarek may be interested in the intended colour scheme and the name....

WiSeGuYY

LOL MARK , thanks from bringing this thread back from the grave an awsome thread indeed and i saw OSCAR couple of times here and in other Forums too , i did read it and was shocked from the names and colours too , i owe you MARK.

REGARDS

TAREK

B13

During its heyday there was 3 TeamW116 (4 if you consider Cam's 450SE 6.9 and 5 if you consider my 190ET) cars all in development:

1. Cam's 450SEL - was eventually parted out and crushed
2. my 450SE - was recently sold to someone who wanted to get into the sport but really got it for the cost of the good parts so may just wreck it to fix other W116s
3. Oscar's 280SM - slowly being torn down / in hibernation
4. 450SE 6.9 - mothballed
5. back up and running and contesting 2012 sprint series

Team W116 also had a 500SEC (A. Socnik) which was abandoned a month after work started due to excessive rust and engine problems.

I will persist with the MB brand in motorsports until my next project, an ex-Bathurst / ATCC / Group C Mazda RX2 race car is ready around 2014.

Ian.

Oversize

Grand Master
I heard Cam's new engine had problems with a cam sprocket coming loose; is that correct? Is she fixable? There once was a time when it was easy to have any cam made here, but it sounds like that's not the case anymore...

A 500SEC with rust??? That sounds unusual; where was the rust? I assume it was privately imported and suffered at the hands of the salt on the Euro roads??

B13

It was a Honk Kong delivery 500SEC white ext/blue interior, sat in someones backyard in sydney for years with grass growing up around it.

When we got it I got the engine to start and run on engine degreaser (don't laugh, you point it at the air mass sensor and crank the engine - if there is a spark it will run). The car was sent to a MB place to sort out the fuel pump (it was missing) and then when the engine finally started on the K-jet system, it only took a few moments to realise at some time the engine had rusted through the alloy block and someone in their wisdom had used body bog to patch it up. That leaked and so we called it a day on the 500SEC.

I.

Tony66_au

Im picking my 280S up this week if I have to push the bloody thing home but the reason why I bought a carburated 280S was to have a muck about with Carbs.

I've played with 48 DCOE Webers before, usually triple side draught config and they are an incredible setup on an inline 6 cylinder engine and will show power previously unheard of with a good tuner.

But as the last Weber setup cost me near on 5k I harkened back to my Jagwah days and the XK 4.2 Twin OHC engines with triple side draught SU's which can be sourced cheaply (A set off a 5.3l V12 Jagwah engine do nicely) and for around $500 with linkages.

And the great thing about SU's is that you can bolt them on an old less than perfect engine and get stunning results as a Non Weber Guru DIY guy.

SU's are also very simple in design and operation with far less moving parts and can be cheaply rebuilt unlike Weber's or Solex 4bbls.

So Oscar....... Should you feel the need to be brave and get the poor old M110 breathing a bit more freely?

Triple Webers, or SU's mate.

Worth it for the induction roar alone.

Tony