The MAKING of RED PIG

More threads by WiSeGuYY

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel and Tarek cannot do Dubia this week but came back from KL yesterday going to Tanzania today at airport now then london on sunday at this point in time

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Michel and Tarek cannot do Dubai this week but came back from KL yesterday going to Tanzania today at airport now then london on sunday at this point in time

You are making us sick with envy... :eek:

do you realise that? :eek:

OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

LOL MOTEC ,

this schedule make me feel OLD , but you don't hve an execuse now not to drop by CAIRO when you have the time , if you allow some time the RED PIG and my BLU the other w116 project can be ready , would be fantastic to have you .

REGARDS

TAREK

P.S MICHEL this is my First RED so thanks for the tip , ohh in the 80 i had BUICK CENTURY LANDAU metalic crimson red .

REGARDS

TAREK

Attachments

• 1975_Buick_century_Landau.jpg
    1975_Buick_century_Landau.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 8

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tarek, I don't know where I have been, but I had missed most of your contributions for some considerable time. The pictures of the work being carried out are of more than passing interest to me - primarily because I can relate to the amount of work and time that has to be devoted to a project of such dimensions and, dare I say it, complexity as well. Incidentally, and this is no criticism (merely an observation), I find it frustrating to have to open up each picture and wait for it to load - even then, the size and clarity are nowhere near what can be achieved with Photobucket. As I said, just an observation.

It has to be immensely satisfying to see the new, fresh paint, that now hides all of the time consuming and dirty jobs that had to be carried out before the final coat could be applied and the finished product can be viewed. BTW, as a matter of interest, I know that you are also a member (quite active) of German Carfans, and have you had any reactions from that site as far as this project is concerned ? Anyway, great job, and I am also interested to get some details from you regarding upholstery, source of supply, etc. etc. - all those one hundred and one things required when rebuilding a car. Thank you Tarek. Regards Styria

OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

Hi GODFATHER ,

I am very glad that you view my post REGARDING RED PIG , it is a pleasure.
So sorry for the quality of pictures , that was done with my blackberry and i know i'm not good with pictures.

I am member on most sites of mercedes benz including german forum ( thanks to google translate ) i do enjoy searching , but the 2 active forums for me is TOPKLASSE and the ORGwhich i visit frequant .
I will see to take photos when we start the interior fitting , the guy in charge should be back from germany by next sunday .

Before the start of the project i did by new head lamps , tail lamps ,dash with wood trims , and now after the new 4 doors , engine &auto trans, 17 inch tires ,A/C , shock absorbers and now the new windshield which we lost during painting . i end up buying another car in parts .the modifications went way out of budget in this one but i don't regret it.

REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
P.S MICHEL this is my First RED so thanks for the tip , ohh in the 80 i had BUICK CENTURY LANDAU metalic crimson red .
REGARDS
TAREK

Just a pic of a car that was very similar to your Buick.
My 1974 Chevrolet MonteCarlo. I drove it for years as my everyday car.. Loved it! :D

And another one - my 1974 Corvette convertible.
What a magnet!!! :p

Attachments

• Monte-Carlo.jpg
    Monte-Carlo.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Right-rear.jpg
    Right-rear.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

Hey MICHEL

The monte carlo looks like a twin sister to my BUICK only the top i had was red with red leather and white interior , was amazing V8 big block engine , my american freinds used to say YOU CAN"T REUIN this engine , sad i did in 6 years time i had to sell it cheap with dead engine 79-85 was one fine looking monster .

The VETTE , i never had the chance to own one but always a dream till today but they don't have many in here.

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

hey GODFATHER

I think i know now why you thought i am posting in german car forum more than here , i think you are mixed up cause there are another TAREK on there and he is also from CAIRO , i'm posting there under WiseGuyy as here and not so populer .

Had to correct this info when i saw his name.

REGARDS

TAREK

Styria

The Godfather
Invariably Tarek, projects such as yours, or Michel's Red Terror, or my Gleaming Beauty, will always go over budget. I know none of us are fools, and neither are most of others that undertake restoration work, or have it carried out, it is just so easy to reach the point of overcapitalization.

It happens time and again, and the point to remember is that, just because you are dealing with an old car, it does not mean that the price of labour and spares will be cheaper. In fact, if anything, it will be more because you're dealing with old components that have to be repaired/refurbished etc. etc. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
And as soon as you say it's for a Mercedes the price doubles. And it doubles once again when you say 6.3, or 6.9.... :eek::eek:

260ebenz

Master
Just a pic of a car that was very similar to your Buick.
My 1974 Chevrolet MonteCarlo. I drove it for years as my everyday car.. Loved it! :D

And another one - my 1974 Corvette convertible.
What a magnet!!! :p

Both nice cars Michel!

When you say 'magnet', would that be a chick magnet?
:D

OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

Hummm MAGNET to all , i think i think i would fall for that Vette anytime 260ebenz .

MICHEL , the RED is sure your COLOR and sure you know how to chose your rides ( give and take the WHITE RR which is amazing too), it is showing what an artist you are with fine taste.

Godfather & MARK , Sigh .... and it getting rare to find parts for this models which didn't exist in the market from the start -i was very happy with w108 from the start , I only saw the REG PIG in brochure of MERCEDES first time back in the 80's , but now with INTERNET i start having few more pictures that lead to this project , trust me cutting the rear doors and fenders was the hardest on my eyes , didn't realize the amount of works i'm going through and how time consuming that is specially things had to be replaced and spare parts had to be changed , actually the engine and trans and exhaust was just the easy part , suspension and shock absorbers also went fine, just changing everything in the engine bay was a thrill and putting the battery in the trunk was a joy .
All cut and replace body parts and rust was also expected from 68 model .
Windsheild crack was casuality i can digest - i know i will find it- i'm only scared from the little things which i might not find plus the A/C which was not bought till now , had to wait 2 more days before the work commence again.

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

Hi GUYS , remember my RED PIG ( piglet as MICHEL call her ) i did post few days ago in other thread that it become my nightmare and turn to be very annoying result after another , specially for the A/C which the one i saw was very expenssive and almost dropped it , thanks to MARK advice i already went today and bought it , YOOOHOOOOO .

many developments occured last few days , they fix the new steering wheel, put the fog lights , new bosch horns and start finishing the small items , put the new cable from engine to trunk , the work in the A?C will start Friday .

REGARDS

TAREK

Oversize

Grand Master
Yay; I'm happy for you!!! :) I know it'll probably cost more than you would've liked, but you won't regret it!!! Just like building houses, the budget (almost) always gets blown....

BTW don't forget to post progress pics!

OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

HEY MARK ,

I repeat my self but i really thank you for letting me toake the decisson of buying the A/C . After this step i will be able to find which center consule to use. for the momet no pics taken -was not in the mood to register my failing attempts , Thanks to the GODFATHER and his kind way of making it easy on me and let me gain strength again and got me more intrest to do the extra miles.
The A/C in in an imported front half which imported 12 years ago and laying in the most populer part where there is famus of importing parts for all cars , i was around the MERCEDES area there are one yard after another but this people deal in all parts if available, this w108 half was equiped with the A/C ( rediator -hoses- blower fan and fan coil and the inlets towards the cabin) all but the compressor which came with the new engine. lets see what will happen next after restoring the parts and changing the hoses .

REGARDS.

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
At least, dear TAREK,

You are moving ahead with the Red Pig.

Soon you'll hear it 'grunt' and 'squeal'. :D

OP
WiSeGuYY

WiSeGuYY

HEY MICHEL take it easy , i only hope it looks nice but was not from the start looking for super speed car or muscle car it barely 3.0 liter engine not 6.3 nor 6.9

REGARDS

TAREK

Oversize

Grand Master
Anytime Tarek. What you're trying to achieve is a huge job and you should be commended and supported. :) Pics would demonstrate exactly what you've been up against...

No A/C and I reckon you would've driven it a couple of times in the heat and given up. You may've been that annoyed that you'd even sell it!! :eek:

3 Litres should be more than enough and if you put on a decent exhaust, it should sound good too. I'd say you could even get some extractors made fairly cheaply in your part of the world.... :)