Testing the new s-class

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's probably somewhat erroneous to claim a " test drive" of a brand new S-350, but thanks to the good graces of the owner of a certain red 690SEL, I was given the opportunity to take one on a somewhat extended fifteen to twenty kilometer drive.

What can one say about a car costing $210k. according to Michel - Internet information claims an extra $20k. ? You know like, a car is a car, with four wheels, a body and interior and, say again, how would it compare with the latest model Commodore or a brand new Subaru ? Michel would not be drawn on a comparison as he simply says, you can't compare as it is not like with like, so I have to draw my own conclusions without the necessary back-up of intimate knowledge.

What left me cold about the S350 - interior space and the colour of the upholstery. Leg room for rear passengers nowhere near 6.9 territory or, for that matter, our Holden Statesman. The upholstery was black, but looking very much like any other substantial size Saloon - see the latest Chrysler, Commodore etc. So, on that score, nothing particularly exciting.

Still sticking to the interior, the quality of switchgear and the various controls were quite exemplary. Also, the neatness, and artistic layout is miles ahead of 116 furnishings, and streets ahead of your more mundane cars, such as the Commodore. Mind you though, having said that, I have seen interior pics of the latest SLS AMG, and the internal switch gear is nothing more than just basic in design, and possibly execution. This S-Class was spot on in that regard, especially switch gear on doors and steering wheel controlling various seat and other functions.

The electronic technology and features built into these cars, is simply quite outstanding, and astounding - mind you, and taking our minds back to Cam's (SELfour50) European BMW driving experience where the car virtually drove itself, when I indicated that I was keen to test this feature with this S - Class on Hoxton Park Road, there was a very urgent and uncomfortable reminder by Michel that this feature only works on the highways - not on suburban roads when the car in front is only about twenty meters away. Well, I got the message.

So, let's get down to driving this car, and performance. Normal driving, this car did nothing wrong, nor especially right. Well, you know, how can you tell what it is capable of in real emergency or handling situations ? You just can't tell. It was nice and quiet, and serene, effortless and I guess, if you buried the loud pedal, it would actually accelerate quite impressively - but you had to push your foot down. With my 6.9 Gleaming Beauty - torque is at foot immediately - never mind about having to bury that pedal - it is instant, so on that score, the old dinosaur is a clear winner. The technological improvements that have taken place in the last ten years with motor cars are nothing short of remarkable, and even a very normal 1.4 Litre VW Polo will go like a scalded cat, accompanied by a fair amount of road noise.

I also found this S-Class to be almost too quiet - much quieter than the 6.9. Yet, I love the exhaust noise from 'Gleaming Beauty' - you can HEAR that there is something happening all the time, and Michel tells me that even this new S-Class model can still take a lesson or two from a well controlled, in good working condition, 6.9 suspension system. So, a mixed bag, but I enjoyed the experience - the closest that I have ever come, or will ever get, to supposed motoring perfection. Regards Styria

N.B. One wonderful feature that I forgot to mention - the sound system. Absolutely brilliant. I believe it has ten to twelve speakers . As a matter of interest, would anyone be able to dig up some specifications or details as where the various units are located ? I'd love to copy something like that.

Last edited:

SELfor50

Hey Styria, great review. It's worlds apart from the classics.. in all senses.

Main one's being throttle feel, road feel and of course handling.

I found the 7 series to be very very good, and the safest car i've ever driven.. but not comparable to classic european cars. It's purely cause of the feel. And no car ever designed now will have the same feel of a quality with a little bit of rawness to it. Where you feel much more of the conditions and car's reactions. Personally I prefer that as a driver, but I do also enjoy modern technology and how far it has come.

Pedal feel is a very big one.. you're like me where you like the instant feel of torque on tap that the 6.9 provides.. as opposed to the lag that is very evident on all modern vehicles. The higher performance ones don't have quite as much lag (unlike the V6 2009 statesmen I had as a higher car about 2months ago for a work trip - that thing was extremely disappointing. Very sadly under-powered, and you had to rev the t!ts of it to get it moving at all) but overall they still have a noticeable amount of lag compared to the instantaneous throttle response of good ol' school V8's. And that includes the old Torana's, GTHO's etc etc.. they're still so popular cause of the power delivery and feel- in my opinion anyway. :)

Just on the note of the active cruise control feature.. I can tell you on the BMW it certainly worked at low speeds. Everytime we would come up to a kleine stadt and had to slow to 50km's or even 30km's per hour.. it would still maintain the distance from the car in front. However, I think the lowest you could actually set the speed was 70km's?! will have to double check to confirm.
The main thing was though if you had a turn of more than say 45-55deg's the car in front would then go out of sight of the lasers. And the car would start to take off.

In saying all that, I am a bit of a gambling man - so was happy to see how good the system was. :D

WGB

N.B. One wonderful feature that I forgot to mention - the sound system. Absolutely brilliant. I believe it has ten to twelve speakers . As a matter of interest, would anyone be able to dig up some specifications or details as where the various units are located ? I'd love to copy something like that.

Both my ML's have the Harmon Kardon Logic-7 option which has either 10 or 11 speakers and is designed so that whatever seat you are sitting in the sound remains the same - absolutely brilliant sound and runs my ipod as standard.

I believe the subwoofer is under the passenger seat but not sure where anything else is situated.

If you are really interested I have the lastest copy of the M-B WIS and can trawl through it and see if I can find a schematic.

I don't think it would be easy to replicate in a 116.

My ML500 is now over three years old and out of warranty and usually I am starting on my drive by of the Dealer and the odd test drive but I still really like it - the performance, the handling (for a big4WD), and particularly the full time 4WD which makes a mockery of wet roads. A CLS 500 or an E class coupe with 5.5 litre V8 is cheaper than an S350 and all provide much better performance - come to think about it you can get a second hand AMG CLS63 for about $50,000 cheaper than that S350.

Bill
Bill

450SE

when I indicated that I was keen to test this feature with this S - Class on Hoxton Park Road, there was a very urgent and uncomfortable reminder by Michel that this feature only works on the highways - not on suburban roads when the car in front is only about twenty meters away.

I made the error a few months ago of quietly mentioning to the salesman that I usually deal with at my local MB dealership that I would consider getting rid of the CLS in favour of a new S when the warranty expires. Since then I've been offered (and accepted) the keys to an S350 (for the weekend) three times.
The car I was given a few weeks ago was an updated S350 (LED lights a-la new Audi style in the headlamp assembly & lower bumper bar, among other changes - so may be different to Michel's car.

Anyway, the car I drove most recently had Distronic fitted. It was the first time I'd used it since 2002 on a CL500 (at which time the system was less than impressive).
Recently when experimenting with the function under instruction from the salesman, he assured me the function would work in traffic and I "just had to trust it".
Not an easy feeling when the brake lights in front of you come on...
But -- the Distronic worked. (Like on a normal cruise control system, you must not touch the pedals. Assuming that you do not, the car will come to a complete halt due to traffic). When the traffic lights turned green, all I had to do was flick the cruise control stalk & the vehicle resumed the Distronic function, accelerating to the desired speed (or that of the car in front, whichever came first) with at least the minimum inputted distance between you and the vehicle in front.

It's a pretty hairy experience the first couple of times. I must say that it is a fabulous feature and even though I was shown that it does work around town (and would be safer than relying on oneself to not be distracted by the buttocks of a nearby jogger or cyclist :p ), I really don't think that I'd use it even if fitted to the vehicle.

Like I said, I’m not sure if Distronic brings you to a complete halt in the earlier W221 - but it does in the update.

The other thing that really impressed me while driving the update was the dual function screen. While I had the map displayed on the full visual screen, my passenger was watching the evening news on the same screen. It was incredible technology that I cannot begin to describe. I was mighty impressed.
Another gimmick that I really liked was the ability to change the interior ambient lighting colour. This included the dashboard lighting as well as feature lighting (under the shadow line of each doors wood grain, each foot well etc. A gimmick, but a nice touch, nonetheless.

The AMG alloy wheels (at $7900) :eek: fitted to the car was an option that I wouldn’t tick as I couldn’t bear the thought of clipping one in a gutter. Even with the enormous wheels (that DID look sensational), the car was whisper quiet. I could very easily live with that. The SL & SE have more than enough engine noise for when I want it. During the week, I don’t want to hear such things while I’m talking to clients on the phone.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The car I had was fitted with all the options you mentioned including the LED dailights and, although Styria had it for a fair bit of time driving around, I managed a whole week in which the Distronic was fully tested and was more than impressive.

Also the split screen was unbelievable.... I had to reach to the other side to make sure that my son wasn't telling me stories about watching the evening news while all I could see was the radio stations..

I could own one.... anytime

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay boys, let's pass the hat around........

Obviously, I am not the right person to properly evaluate the various qualities and 'goodies' that are now part of modern day Mercedes motoring. Perhaps if I had a car like this for a week or so, I'd be in a better position to pass judgement.

Money considerations notwithstanding, I was still quite happy to climb into 'Gleaming Beauty' at the end of it all. Boys, I am just old fashioned and very set in my ways. :confused: Regards Styria