Testing the A Class

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As some of you might know, I test cars for the radio programme "The World on Wheels".
Lately we've had a few Benzes for trial and I thought you might like reading my son Albert's thought as relayed live on air in the 'Drive Of The Week' segment:

A compact hatchback, the A Class forms the entry point for Mercedes Benz’s model range and, as is typical with cars from the German manufacturer, it can be ordered in a number of different drivetrain and trim configurations.
A180-FrontMedium.jpg

But for my drive this week, my test car was the A180 CDI, the only diesel version of the A Class.
It’s powered by a 2.0 litre turbo diesel engine, producing 80 kilowatts of power and 250 Newton-metres of torque.
A180-BadgeMedium.jpg
A180-CDI-BadgeMedium.jpg

So why isn’t it called an A200 if it has a two litre engine? I think because the engine’s maximum power is equivalent to smaller petrol engines, thus A180 instead.
The engine mates to a six speed manual transmission or a continuously variable automatic, which Mercedes brands as ‘Autotronic’.
This is the first car I’ve encountered where a diesel engine is modulated by a CVT and I was impressed by the result.
A180-EngineMedium.jpg
A180-Engine-1Medium.jpg

Take-off speed is actually acceptable, even if you need to move straight away.
The CVT’s torque converter lets the engine rev high as you start moving, allowing the turbo to wind up for good performance off the mark.
The CVT is ultra smooth during driving, but quickly responds to kickdowns, bumping revs up almost immediately.
There’s also a virtual manual mode with seven set ratios for more control.
A180-Top-Medium.jpg

The A Class turns firmly around corners, although large bumps tend to unsettle the car.
The steering wheel is very light and easy to operate, making city parking a piece of cake.
The brakes are similarly easy to use, with a very sensitive pedal that bites firmly. Inside is a very roomy cabin, with enough leg room in the back to relax during long trips.

The cloth seat trim in my test car was very soft, while rear boot space is respectable, with the rear seats able to fold down to add more room.
There’s also plenty of storage pockets and drink holders throughout the car.
The A 180 CDI comes standard with climate control air conditioning, auto-on wipers and headlights, alloy wheels and front and rear foglamps.
There are plenty of option packages to add unique trim and other creature comforts, but the one I recommend is the Metro package, which adds the CVT gearbox, cruise control and front and rear parking assist.

A180-Dash-Medium.jpg
The A Class comes with the full safety complement of six airbags, ABS and electronic stability control.
The A180 CDI retails from $39,900 dollars, while the Metro Package is an extra $3600.

John S

Michel, a friend mentioned last week that he was looking for an A Class, which got me thinking about your report here and my (poor) impression of the back seat ride quality, which I was not impressed with on the model 4 years ago.

Can you tell us if the rear seat ride on the latest models is of good quality, as 4 or so years ago I did not think it matched rivals of similar size, and they were very much cheaper at the time! The rest of the A Class was impressive though and the owner loved its speed and economy, plus the (front seat) ride.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
John, I currently have a new A180 CDI as a service vehicle for several days and it is NOT the car my old A190 was. It lacks space and the versatile seating arrangement. Ride is not as good as it is in an A170 (go figure that) and in general I can't stand the clatter at idle, even though it revs to 4500rpm in a very silky manner. Rear seats are now different and not as comfortable. The car has regressed. While I would have given a big tick to the old A190 I have reservations about the new A180 for comfort and room. I am quite surprised. There is not even room enough for miss Olga's hatbox!!
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Edit - the dashboard in my A190 was leather covered. This one is hard plastic. Progress?

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi everybody on this thread, great read, and very, very interestiong but also surprising comparisons. I have never driven one, so I find this all very interesting. Mind, I am puzzled and intrigued by Benz Boy's assessment which I highly respect.

Michel, thank you for posting this. I wish we could also have had the report on the B-Class as well which I rather like. Thanks guys, Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I think the answer is quite simple Mr S. When I bought my A190 in 2000 it was an expensive car but today the A Class is cheaper in both ticket prices and real money than it was 9 years ago. How do you make a car cheaper? You delete quality. I mean, this A180 has rear drum brakes and whereas in the A190 I could fit 4 show trollies standing upright, now I can fit 2. They are the same trollies.....
OK - it goes nicely but the quality has gone. The materials are cheaper and the space has been re-configured but it seems not effectively. I frankly can't recommend one and I find the exact same problems with the new ML which I had last month as a loan vehicle. You might ask why I seem to be having so many loan vehicles? Well, another story for another time. Let me put it this way: M-B is looking after the customer despite the ML warranty having expired years ago.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, again, very interesting ! You know, you read tests and assessments in various magazines, such as Mercedes Enthusiast, and you think 'well, looks as though they're getting their act together' especially as far as quality of interior furnishings and reliability are concerned.

I think it is fact that cars have come down in price over the last ten years, or that manufacturers are loading them up with goodies and technical improvements that at one stage you had to pay for. I would certainly be interested in details pertaining to your ML. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The ML story is simply one of an intermittent electrical fault which has shown up by locking the vehicle in Park, by then refusing to raise or lower windows and now by refusing to lock the tailgate. After an intitial diagnosis by MBS of certain faults in the fuseboxes and then later further faults in the wiring connectors, MBS has taken full repsonsibility for correcting these faults without charge and by supplying firstly an onsite mechanic to enable the gear slector and then a replacement vehicle without cost as they say the faults can be traced to original manufacturing or suppliers. I can not complain as the vehicle is a 2001 model and the warranty ran out in 2007. MBS has been most diligent in pursuing these faults and trying to ensure that there are no further ones. During the last 6 months I have had an interesting selection of MB cars to drive as replacement vehicles.
The service from MBS has been exemplary.
The only time the car has really failed was due to an independent failing to correctly secure the petrol line into the tank - the independent was not aware that there was a factory modification that was required.
Regards,
Benz-Boy