"Red Hog" my next project

More threads by oscar

oscar

Ever wonder what would've happened if the then independant AMG went from putting the W109 300SEL 6.3 on the track to then tweaking a 6.9 for racing. I'd love to say "well that's what I'm going to build" but in reality, without the necessary funds or know-how, what I'd like to do is drop a 6.9 engine into an SE body and modify it to look like the fictional car. The I'll go racing it. But it's a side project and whilst ambitious I wouldn't be surprise if it takes many years to see a racetrack if ever.

I've got the body (red 280S), picked up a 6.9 engine yesterday (in kit form :D ). No FI in this thing, there'll be a custom cross ram duel holley setup and custom extractors. Not sure what will be done to the internals of the engine and what has to be replaced, machined etc. I think the body, suspension, brakes and steering will be ready before the engine and then there's the issue of the transmission and rear end. Easiest would be to procure a 6.9 AT but preference would be a 5-6spd manual Tremec and still don't know what sort of rear end. Might go live axle :eek: . It's so far away to get to that point it's not worth worrying about.

The "Red Pig"
redpiginaction1964a6ee.jpg

The "Red Hog"
impression2small.jpg

The 6.9. FWIW, we set the jib on the crane at 250kg and it easily handled the weight of not only this block but also the weight of Selfor50's other complete 6.9.
imgp6601large.jpg

imgp6602medium.jpg

The body. The red 280S which looked it's best in 2006 below. Now it's stripped interior, partly stripped eninge bay, no brakes and covered in carpets and parts and dust. Man the dust!! I can't actually get a new photo of it.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I like the RED part :D

I'm with you Oscar.

You're on the right track with the right frame of mind.

OP
oscar

oscar

Thought you'd like that Michel:D I wondered if maybe they'd change nearly a decade later. They might have gone mercedes blue and the sponsors might have been different. In the end it'll be a personal thing I suppose for me and I really just want to put a 6.9 on the track. It was supposed to be red bonnet too BTW, but I stopped short and thought, that kind of looks good too. Wouldn't mind putting a Marlboro peak on the bonnet.

Oh!! I thought you were putting a Chevvy in the Jaguar we discussed.....:eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Whaat, noooo. I had this 6.9 in mind but had it under wraps till I picked it up. Considering of what the final cost will be over the years there's a part of me that wishes I could've done a Walkinshaw XJS V12. Actually any sporty V12 would've been fantastic.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Ossie, 'glutton for punishment alright, but what a project, rewarding at that, you are going to have on your hands. I just don't know why you would choose a carbie set-up over the injection system, but you must have your reasons.

As a matter of interest, would a "cheap" 6.9 hold any interest for you ? Round about the $1.5k. mark. Let me know by way of PM, if at all possible. Best of luck with "Red Hog". Regards Styria

OP
oscar

oscar

Cheers styria,

I'm inspired by what the folks in the Nascar and drag scene in the US did during the 50's, 60's. All back to basics and pre computers. I've been hooked on the idea of cross ram induction and holleys and would love to knock something up similar and of course I don't have the rest of the k-jet stuff. The attraction of this motor was that it was just the motor. No body to deal with but especially no guilt about cutting up a potential restorer. But now you've dangled a carrot in front of me,:rolleyes: clearly the cheapest and quickest way to get this thing on the track is to purchase a cheap complete 6.9. Mmm. PM soon.

Lukas

Sounds like a good project - I have some shoddy plastic chrome-look AMG stick-on badges if that helps :)

SELfor50

Sounds like a good project - I have some shoddy plastic chrome-look AMG stick-on badges if that helps :)

Oooh, that reminds me Lukas, I have some stickers for you.. From the fatherland. ;)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Ossie, are you saying that you have purchased just a 'long motor' ? It'd be nice if you could get 'the' project up and running without, initially, spending a fortune, or waiting for years before a project comes to fruition.

I tend to think that a stripped out SE or SEL body, combined with a 450 or 280 diff, will give you acceleration that ought to be close to the six second market up to 100k's. That'd be reasonably adequate for circuit racing.

Some play has been made in favour of a 5 speed manual box - the merit of such fitting, and the cost and benefit involved, would greatly depend on your diff ratio. I think even in standard form with the normal 2.65 diff fitted as standard to 6.9s, the effectiveness and usefulness of a five speeder would need to be questioned. Regards Styria

OP
oscar

oscar

It'll probably end up wearing imitation badges. Wont be able to afford the real deal 70's item, if there's any left. Although the car never existed it has to have the AMG underlined badge without the BMW "///" slashes. If I can't find one it'll be hatched from the chromed plastic stuff and some supercheap straight edge immitation chrome:cool:

But anyway, it's going to be sooo long before things move. Right now the engine's packed away, greased and oiled up and wrapped in plastic and rags. Have to put my mind back to the 280S before I start racking up M100 bills I can't pay for.

Styria, as above regarding time frame, ie don't anyone hold their breath, including me. ;) I've wondered about other w116 diffs and how they'd handle the 6.9 tourque, but really, the weakspot is the tyre/road grip I reckon, isn't it? A 280 diff for instance, I don't think it would explode so to speak, rather everytime there's a bucket load of torque applied to the driveline I believe the wheels are going to spin before the flex couplings, CV joints or auto breaks. Assuming everything is in good nic of course.

Agreed regarding the 5 or 6 spd MT. I'd want the 6.9 revving high most of the time and any gearing towards overdrive ratios is just a waste. Honestly I'd be happy to get around or just over 200km/h before the end of some straights and that'd do me. Plus good acceleration between corners and any shortfall is made up for by good looks (of the car) and ripper exhaust sound :D

TJ 450

I don't think there will be a problem with any of the diffs, as there is no difference other than ratio and limited slip. They are not beefed up for the 6.9, as they are very reliable units anyway. Well, unless your 6.9 has been flogged towing ridiculous weights or pedal to the metal all the time (such as I think mine has... previously stuffed transmission, worn diff, but excellent engine).

Tim

WGB

There is the odd original underlined AMG badge in circulation Oscar.

My 6.9 has one on it as you can see in my avatar and there is another sitting on my toolbox - we might be able to get some copies made when the time comes a little closer for real action.

Best of luck with the project - you are a very brave man as I know you are not foolish:D

Bill

OP
oscar

oscar

Sorry for the late reply fellas, been tripping around the countryside.

Anyways, thanks for the info TJ, much appreciated. It leaves the door open for many options when it comes to modification and sourcing bits. There's an article John Green did on his 114 racer and whilst I can't remember details the innards are mix of early and late diffs to make an LSD. Inspiring stuff. Depends how the lotto tickets go between now and the future to what I end up with but at least I know I'll be able to start off with a welded locked diff from any w116.

WGB, that's the one.
One for the toolbox :eek: that's so cool yet so selfish. LOL :p . But yes, when (or if) the time comes and there's a way to make a copy I'd be very interested.