Racing 6.3

More threads by Lukas

abl567

Super Moderator
What don't you prepare both cars (116 and 108/9) and Karen can drive one and I drive the other, but I still will look at doing your bodywork.

You do mechanical and I do body....;)

I see some issues with 2 cars

Space
Transport
Time

Karens involvment would be minimal for the first season, a few practice laps and some training so she can relay car set up wants/needs.

How about we start with the 109 and add the 116 later?

I know my way around a 109 so the lessons will be learnt earlier then I can apply that to a 116. The experience preping a car I know will make a 116 so much easier.

Just my thoughts

And I know you will enjoy the 109

B13

In my experience, people who are competing in a car they are more familiar with tend to get better results and satisfaction, rather than trying to compete in something they aren't 100% confident with.

If the 109 floats your boat, so much the better. I can already think of some positives...

108/109 weighs less than a W116
V8 is a high comp / no emissions controls engine = should run great on hi-octane petrol
much simpler dashboard layout lends itself better to removing the heater/aircon systems and installing extra instrumentation
4 speed auto with hidden first gear - great for those hillclimbs

Gimme your email addy, I'll send you the first 5 TeamW116 articles from he MBCV magazine.

I.

abl567

Super Moderator
Keep it coming guys,
Lets pool resources and cause this to happen:cool:
Ian, anthony at longs dot com dot au

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I see some issues with 2 cars

Space
Transport
Time

Karens involvment would be minimal for the first season, a few practice laps and some training so she can relay car set up wants/needs.
How about we start with the 109 and add the 116 later?
And I know you will enjoy the 109

I'm easy... why not....:D

Leaving Maranello (home of Ferrari) in a few minutes...
Arrivederci

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm easy... why not....:D

Leaving Maranello (home of Ferrari) in a few minutes...
Arrivederci

:cool: I leave for the M100 meet on Saturday and will be back on the 10th June, let the plans begin

oscar

6.8 versions....

I stand corrected, I forgot ;) , but yes them ones.:cool:
And Ant, did I read something about worries of fuel economy? Put it this way, if the six three uses 12mpg and it's 1.8 times bigger then a three five, then your three five should use 21.6mpg :D hows that for race logic.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
:cool: I leave for the M100 meet on Saturday and will be back on the 10th June, let the plans begin

Where is the meeting?
I won't be back until June 17...
(currently in transit at Heathrow on the way to Dubai)

Last edited:

SELfor50

Where is the meeting?

Ahhh.. Heathrow... don't buy any snow-domes for people and expect them to let you take it on the plane. ..#### bobby's. :mad:

abl567

Super Moderator
Where is the meeting?

The meet proper is in Colarado, right near Pikes Peak.
We fly into San Francisco and pick up a renter.
First night in Nevada the who knows...we have 4 days to get there:D
I return on the 10th

chrisp

The meet proper is in Colarado, right near Pikes Peak.
We fly into San Francisco and pick up a renter.
First night in Nevada the who knows...we have 4 days to get there:D
I return on the 10th

Let me know if you want any pointers on things to do in SF. I spent three years travelling there every few weeks for work as part of my last job.

abl567

Super Moderator
Let me know if you want any pointers on things to do in SF. I spent three years travelling there every few weeks for work as part of my last job.

Thanks Chris, we only have about 5 hours in SF on the way home, anything good near the airport?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks Chris, we only have about 5 hours in SF on the way home, anything good near the airport?

Take the BART (train) from the airport to the city and then take the trams down those wild hills all the way to Fisherman's warf....

Worth spending the 5 hours there..
Lots of food, shopping for souvenirs and great things to watch

FishermansWharf.jpg
Yours truly last November in front of a famous landmark.

chrisp

Yes, I'd agree with Michel if 5 hours is all you have. There's nothing of interest near the airport itself but the BART is efficient and taxis not ridiculous (but much pricier than BART!) - either way, should take about 30 mins from the airport to downtown.

There's always something going on at Fisherman's Wharf. I wandered down there once and found a classic car show in an old warehouse. It turned out to be someone's private collection who had just passed away. Everything was for sale and there were some magificent vehicles. Mostly 50s and 60s but some vintage cars too. All up well over 50 vehicles I would have thought.

If you fancy doing something more arty than touristy, try the De Young museum in Golden Gate Park instead (you probably won't have time to do both). Fascinating collection of African art amongst other things: http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/index.asp

Enjoy!

John S

Michel, there is a reasonable seafood restaurant on the 1st level up, back RHS of the building you are photographed in front of, overlooking the water. You can sit outside on the verandah and not be worried by the seagulls (twice the size of ours) due to the 10 inch spikes they have set up specifically to stop the birds landing nearby.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel, there is a reasonable seafood restaurant on the 1st level up, back RHS of the building you are photographed in front of, overlooking the water. You can sit outside on the verandah and not be worried by the seagulls (twice the size of ours) due to the 10 inch spikes they have set up specifically to stop the birds landing nearby.

Good to know John, I'll have a look in November when I will pass by there again.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, just a word of caution - 3.5s do not have the same get-up and go as either a 6.3 or 6.9. However, having said all that, a 109 should handle better and perhaps even more predictably with its standard air suspension.

I have always liked the handling of the 109 chassis cars - they feel like a brick in their harshness, but the ride is never harsh. Go figure ! The whole system is rather clever - one only has to examine the "shape" of the reservoirs that the air bags are connected to - they face towards the rear of the car, thus providing stability under braking and hard cornering conditions. Regards Styria