Racing 6.3

More threads by Lukas

SELfor50

That's some cool ish!! I do like the way the stripes traverse down onto the grill and then on an angle. Very nice.

Solid role cage and setup for the cabin. Well kitted out.

I might ask my rellies to pick it up as a 'holiday' vehicle for me when I'm there later in the year............. :)

abl567

Super Moderator
Mmmmm, I have a 300SEL 3.5 sitting downstairs at the factory and know someone who wants the interior as it is parchment leather.
I bought it as a parts car for Six 3 but it is too good to part out but to much work to restore to road worthy to justify the spend.

Team 109??????

Michel...;)

B13

I've been waiting for someone to compete in a W108/09..

All along we've said that Teamw116 doesn't necessarily have to be only W116s. Any old Merc will do.

Already the team comprises of three W116s and a 190E.

I.

SELfor50

Second that Ian! And I can vouch for Ant, he controlled that massive Six3 extremely well on the Oran Park day last year... I was extremely impressed with his approach.. it was a case of increasing the speed and pushing harder lap by lap.

..not like my approach of go hard on the first 2 laps, spinout... almost f*k your car up, then fix it and get bakc on the track and go the lap by lap approach.

These days, I always to the lap by lap approach. ;)

but yeah, do it Ant, you know you wanna..... the 3.5 would be nicely ballsy too. With a possible diff change, and a suspension tightening. Who knows?! :cool:

abl567

Super Moderator
I've been waiting for someone to compete in a W108/09..

All along we've said that Teamw116 doesn't necessarily have to be only W116s. Any old Merc will do.

Already the team comprises of three W116s and a 190E.

I.

I'm up for it, if I can find a some one willing to drive and take care of the bodywork, paint and required bits I will do the labour to prepare the car and store it between events.

Michel...:)

abl567

Super Moderator
Thanks Cam,
Very kind words and true about my time at Oran Park ;)

The 3.5 has a 3.57 diff ratio with a single spinner, in my parts bin I have the LSD clutch pack from my old 6.3 diff and a 4.01 crown wheel and pinion from a 280SE diff....
With 109 airbag springs the suspension adapts to the conditions via the leveling valves so "tightening" the suspension is not an issue.

This may happen

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, for a start, that racing 6.3 in Osnabrueck is quite some conveyance - beautifully done and prepared (by the looks of it anyway), and I have only one issue - the colour of those seats. However great and appropriate and expensive they may be, that red colour when coupled with the quite distinguished colour scheme of the rest of the car just doesn't cut it.

Also, about abl567's 300SEL 3.5 - funny that. I was just at Anthony's place on Moday and asked him what his goals were for the 350 and I got the impression that he was at sixes and sevens a bit as to what his next step would be.

BTW, the lucky bugger is off to the States to attend the M100 convention - that should be quite an event judging from what I have previously read in Lode Star (their magazine). I wish him 'bon voyage' and look forward to meeting up with him when he returns - we might even be blessed with some pics. Anthony - in the Travel, Odds and Bits and Pieces section - that'd be great. Regards Styria

SELfor50

Thanks Cam,
Very kind words and true about my time at Oran Park ;)

The 3.5 has a 3.57 diff ratio with a single spinner, in my parts bin I have the LSD clutch pack from my old 6.3 diff and a 4.01 crown wheel and pinion from a 280SE diff....
With 109 airbag springs the suspension adapts to the conditions via the leveling valves so "tightening" the suspension is not an issue.

This may happen

No worries mate. ;)

With the Diff, I can confirm that (at least on 116/126 diffs) you can take the 6.9 LSD Centre and fit it to a diff housing of the same size with a different ratio. I'm not sure if the 4.01 crown wheel and pinion will fit the 6.9 or 6.3 lsd centre in or visa versa... I do know of a place that has a 350SLC diff (3.46) that's an LSD........but I'm not sure if they'll let it go cheap, and it'd need a re-built.

Alternative, and in my opinion, best option. Lock that shizzle up with a nice short(ish) ratio - and feel the luuuuurrrvvvv. :D

Good news on the suspension front! :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm up for it, if I can find a some one willing to drive and take care of the bodywork, paint and required bits I will do the labour to prepare the car and store it between events.
Michel...:)

From my room at the Planet Hotel overlooking the Fiorano testing track in Maranello (where Ferrari is based) I type this reply with a big grin on my face...:D

We might just have a deal on that one (what a public declaration this is)...;)

abl567

Super Moderator
From my room at the Planet Hotel overlooking the Fiorano testing track in Maranello (where Ferrari is based) I type this reply with a big grin on my face...:D

We might just have a deal on that one (what a public declaration this is)...;)

:D:D:D Look out Targa Tasmania;)

SELfor50

:D:D:D Look out Targa Tasmania;)

So.... are you going to be doing any driving Ant, or just prepping the car? :confused:

Michel does the bodywork and paints the car.

You prep it and store it.

And you both share the driving?! :confused:

I'm confusssssed. :eek:

abl567

Super Moderator
So.... are you going to be doing any driving Ant, or just prepping the car? :confused:

Michel does the bodywork and paints the car.

You prep it and store it.

And you both share the driving?! :confused:

I'm confusssssed. :eek:

At this stage my way of thinking was to leave the racing to the driver(s) and I will do the logistics and spanner work. The task of providing the driver with a fast reliable car, tweaking it as required, appeals to me.

Driver(s)...

Karen wants to learn:cool:

The plot thickens and the plans develop:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
At this stage my way of thinking was to leave the racing to the driver(s) and I will do the logistics and spanner work. The task of providing the driver with a fast reliable car, tweaking it as required, appeals to me.
Driver(s)...
Karen wants to learn:cool:
The plot thickens and the plans develop:D

What don't you prepare both cars (116 and 108/9) and Karen can drive one and I drive the other, but I still will look at doing your bodywork.

You do mechanical and I do body....;)

Styria

The Godfather
What don't you prepare both cars (116 and 108/9) and Karen can drive one and I drive the other, but I still will look at doing your bodywork.

You do mechanical and I do body....;)

....and I'll be the cheer leader ! It'd be nice if all this could come to fruition. The other matter to consider - where is the racing to be done ? Oran Park ? Closing ? Regards Styria

SELfor50

....and I'll be the cheer leader ! It'd be nice if all this could come to fruition. The other matter to consider - where is the racing to be done ? Oran Park ? Closing ? Regards Styria

OP is apparently closing at the end of the year... but who know's they might extend it again. :confused:

There's still Eastern Creek, Wakefield, The Fairbairn Park Hill-climb, Wollongong Hillclimb (might still be closed)... All these tracks are within 2-300km's of Sydney.. and worth a hit. Then there's Winton, great track! That's not far past Albury, and worth a drive down on Saturday, stay at a B&B and then head to the track early on the Sunday...

What other sydney tracks are there peoples, have I missed any?

Cam.

oscar

Bathurst too of course.

This year's a good test for me to see how many events I can get to and I reckon maybe 6 all up. I thought I'd do more. We're all busy no doubt with work and family etc so to get to a track once every two months is good going and the events come round fairly quickly. If I was closer maybe I could do more but definitely don't rule out a weekend away to attend those interstate tracks.

Half the fun is plying your skills at new tracks and hopefully improving your times next time you go there. Plus you get bragging rights of saying "I've raced at Sandown." :D Well in July I'll be able to say that;)

Ant, I reckon your 109 should be a fictional recreation of a - what if AMG had prepped a 3.5L 300SEL before the 6.3 versions.:cool:

abl567

Super Moderator
6.8 versions....

I'm not sure the budget would cover the fuel and tyres:)

I get 12mpg at best from Six 3 and the new Michelins I fitted approx 5500 miles ago are more than half worn, I do "drive it as the makers intended" and the milage includes the M100 rally and a track day at Oran Park.
Anthony